• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    My wife and i got invited to a 25th wedding anniversary for one of her cousins. We got there at about 3p when it was to start. At the time only a handful of people were there but it quickly filled up. I noticed and pointed out to my wife another man (we'll call him Frank) that was, like me, openly carrying. After going outside for a smoke and the typical gun conversation, Frank and I went back in and had the meal.

When we were finished we decided to let the kids run and play on the equipment. Another guy quickly followed me out and instantly asked "Why do you carry?" I processed to tell him for my personal and family protection. He then said by law I had to conceal carry it in Indiana. I told him that according to the state of Indiana it didn't matter how I carried as long as I had the license to carry, Frank said the same thing and that he could go to Indiana.gov to read up on the law. That's when the man asked if I had my LTCH, I told him that yes I do have my LTCH. Then he started asking question's like "what are you afraid of?" and saying things like "well your at a family event" and other things of that nature. The entire time he was saying those things, he was not getting in my face but still within my personal space.

That's when the guy went over another man that was standing around by his truck and asked him if me and Frank where right. He was then told that yes we were correct and that we could openly carry if we wanted to. At this point the man standing by his truck identified himself as a sheriff with vanderburgh county. The sheriff went on to say that as this was a private event and that the building was being rented by the family and it was up to them on whether or not to allow the carry of weapons. However, he also went on to say that they preferred that we leave the weapons in our cars. After a few minutes of talking back and forth between me, the sheriff, and the man who had started this whole thing, the sheriff came right out and said that we could either just go ahead and place the weapons in our cars or leave.

So at this point, as I have done in the past, I gathered my family up and left. I noticed that as I was getting the kids into the car and the wife was saying goodbye to some of the family member's there that she was closer to, that Frank was also doing the same thing as me and gathering his family up and leaving.

After leaving and getting out of eye sight of the group, Frank and i stood and talked about the whole ordeal. I apologized and he said that it was not my fault but theirs. I guess the bright side of this whole ordeal was that my wife has decided that she is most definitely going to get her LTCH and carry as well... all this took place in about 2.5 hours.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well at least you got to eat before getting the invitation to leave.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The LEO was right private property runs the show.
    Better it ended like that rather then getting into a pissing contest with an uneducated LEO about if you could open carry or not.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I was asked before ever going to a family event to leave my weapon at home. Since it was an event for my Granddaughters at their other Grandparents home, I abided by their rules. :( Their concern was that it was a family event and that there would be children around. :rolleyes: I saw a 9 year old little girl and a 2 year old, but no 5 year old little girls ready to disarm me.

The night before I was giving one of my Granddaughters a bath at my son's house and a 10 year old was in the bathroom with us and saw my gun printing beneath my t-shirt and just matter a factly asked..."is that your gun?" I said "yes, why did I bump you with it?" They said, "Nope, just wondering" as if it was the most normal thing. +1 for that little one.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No offense, but that's some family you have there. Mine know that I carry and openly 99% of the time. Although, some drastically disagree with my choice they leave well enough alone and do not engage in the debate with me. I'm glad nobody in my family puts their opinion before our relationship, but if that were to ever be the case well...I'll save money in Christmas cards every year. I think you handled it as well as you could have. How you handle the situation from here out will make a significant impact on your life and family. Good luck

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    Its just one of those things. Most of my family dislikes that I carry. But i've never had them ask me to leave. Only my wifes gma asked me 2 lock my S&W in the car. And that was only once :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was asked before ever going to a family event to leave my weapon at home. Since it was an event for my Granddaughters at their other Grandparents home, I abided by their rules. :( Their concern was that it was a family event and that there would be children around. :rolleyes: I saw a 9 year old little girl and a 2 year old, but no 5 year old little girls ready to disarm me.

The night before I was giving one of my Granddaughters a bath at my son's house and a 10 year old was in the bathroom with us and saw my gun printing beneath my t-shirt and just matter a factly asked..."is that your gun?" I said "yes, why did I bump you with it?" They said, "Nope, just wondering" as if it was the most normal thing. +1 for that little one.

I dont know why those stupid people say that.I guess they think that you will give your gun to the kids for them to play with.
    I bet those people have no problem with the police being armed around their kids.
    Looks like it's also not a problem if you have a knife on you and are around kids.
    But for some reasons a gun is a big hazard. :dunno:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Was the Deputy Sheriff armed?

If he was, was he asked to disarm too? Or according to your moron family member, cops don't commit crimes?

images

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I fail to see how the sheriff could tell you that. You could tell him to pound sand unless your wife's cousin asked you to leave. What am I missing?

Was the sheriff pulling security or there as a guest? If a guest, he had no more right to carry than you did.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In

If he was, was he asked to disarm too? Or according to your moron family member, cops don't commit crimes?

I don't know if he was armed or not so I can't answer that question.

I fail to see how the sheriff could tell you that. You could tell him to pound sand unless your wife's cousin asked you to leave. What am I missing?

Was the sheriff pulling security or there as a guest? If a guest, he had no more right to carry than you did.

the sheriff was there as a guest and in plain cloths. Now what relation he was to the family I don't know and neither dos my wife,, according to her, she thinks that he is related to the family through marriage like me. As for who actually rented the club house I'm not sure either I know it was a family member that is very closely related to the anniversary couple so, nor do I know what their feelings and stance is on the matter.

No offense, but that's some family you have there.

none taken it's not really my family, I'm only related through marriage so...

Their party, their rules. Sounds like the Sheriff knew the law and acted accordingly.

I agree their party their rules. However I feel that while the Sheriff did the correct things in informing the irate guest that me and "Frank" were indeed correct about the law, but that he was in wrong in the fact that within a time span of a minute he went from saying that the family would prefer that the weapons be locked in the cars to saying that we had to lock them in the cars or leave. Not once during the whole conversation leading up to that point did he talk with or consult another family member about the "Family's" stance on carrying at the party.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm glad that my immediate family doesn't mind that I carry. None of my extended family seem to mind either, although I've gotten the usual questions before.

Sounds like a reasonable decent interaction, as far as the officer is concerned. Whether or not he was there are security, it sounds like he just stepped into his usual role, even if he was off duty, and moderated the confrontation. +1 to him for knowing the law on the matter.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I also agree this was handled well on the OP's part, not so much so on presumably off-duty deputy's part, especially if he was also armed. "Family doesn't like guns, so you have to lock 'em up or leave.", said while subconsciously aware of the gun pressing into his side under his shirt... hypocrite much?

If the gun is the problem, then it is always a problem, no matter who holds it. If that's not the case, then the connotation is that the problem is with the person (the OP, in this case) who is armed, but that can't be true either, since he'd be fine if he didn't have his gun on him.

So.... If the gun isn't the problem and the person isn't the problem.....

What's the problem?

images

Yep, all of us cops are wife killers. Too bad Drew Peterson was an amateur and got caught.

Frank, with all due respect, I didn't get "all cops commit crimes" from what he said, I got that some cops (just like some of any other group, including LTCH-holders) do commit crimes, and some of those crimes are in the "mala in se" group.

I'm of the opinion that the exception proves the rule, that we hear the names of those who do so; if it were an "all of 'em do it!" situation, none of the names would matter.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Frank, with all due respect, I didn't get "all cops commit crimes" from what he said, I got that some cops (just like some of any other group, including LTCH-holders) do commit crimes, and some of those crimes are in the "mala in se" group.

I'm of the opinion that the exception proves the rule, that we hear the names of those who do so; if it were an "all of 'em do it!" situation, none of the names would matter.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Ok so maybe all of us aren't wife killers. I'm just tired of the repeated reference to cops that have done something wrong, especially when it has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

Top Bottom