• ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Group,

If you were looking for a 3 - 3.5" barrel 9mm that has an exposed hammer, thumb safety, and holds a minimum of 12 rounds, which one have or would you choose and why?

Three firearms that I have found that fit all of the above requirements include:

Bersa/Firestorm Mini 9
    FS9NP13.jpg

CZ-USA 2075 RAMI
    cz2075rami.jpg

Para Hawg 9
    WHX129R.jpg

If you are aware of another firearm that fits the above noted requirements let me know. In addition I am curious about the accuracy, reliability and holster availability for them as well.

Now it's your turn, let me know.

striker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Michiana
    How about a HK USP Compact? I bet the barrel is right around 3.5".

Pricey, but you can't argue with quality or reliability.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    All 3 of those guns are too big to pocket carry, all are too heavy to comfortably pocket carry even if you have huge pockets. So that means all are going in a holster.

That said, I see no advantage to the Bersa or the CZ Rami over the Para Hawg 9. I looked at the RAMI but the reviews simply did not instill confidence. Many people loved them, but there were enough complaints that I decided to pass and as I have a bunch of CZ pistols, me taking a pass on a CZ is not a common thing. I have no personal experience with the Bersa, can't really say much about that gun/brand.

The Hawg 9 will have the best trigger, can be carried cocked and locked, and is familiar in MY hand because I am mostly familiar with the 1911 pattern guns.

I've got a Warthog, essentially the same gun as the Hawg 9 but in 45acp. Its a great gun. One of the guns I will/do carry. Mine has NEVER failed to feed, fire, or eject.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How about a HK USP Compact? I bet the barrel is right around 3.5".
    Barrel is 3.58" so that is close, but the gun is still a bit bigger and closer to a mid-size gun.

Barrel is 3.9" and the gun is not built on a small frame. The Sig 239 is closer in size to the guns in the OP but it is only an 8 round 9mm gun.

Barrel too long, that is a "Commander" size gun, not a comparable in size to the 3 gun choices in the OP. But I agree that it is a great gun!!!

get a glock :popcorn:;)
    Glock 26 would fit the criteria for barrel length, but doesn't have the desired exposed hammer. The S&W M&P Compact also fits the criteria for size and capacity but again does not have the exposed hammer.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I realize folks have preferences, but why post guns that don't fit OP's criteria?

"exposed hammer, thumb safety" :dunno:

To the OP, go for the para, you'll have a better trigger, or at least you can have a better trigger.

There is also the M&P compact with thumb safety.
    206304.jpg

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Another Possibility

First thanks for all of the reply's and for trying to stick to my original criteria.

The Para is a great firearm, I'm just not sure I want to drop close to $800 for it... Here's another option, what do you all think of the Beretta Storm Subcompact 9?

px4-sub-compact_3001.jpg

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    back on track

I am glad to see the thread back on track to choose one of the three guns that OP asked for advice to select from.

I would go either with the CZ or the Bersa because I do not like to carry a single action auto locked and cocked.

Terry

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    First thanks for all of the reply's and for trying to stick to my original criteria.

The Para is a great firearm, I'm just not sure I want to drop close to $800 for it... Here's another option, what do you all think of the Beretta Storm Subcompact 9?

My experience with Berettas in general and the fondness Storm owners have for their guns would have me giving that a very hard look. Sorry, I've not fired one myself, but I understand that the unusual design lessens felt recoil. I'd love to see if that's true with the sub-compact.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't like any of the choices in the original post, but of those three I'd take the CZ.

My recommendation would be the S&W 6906, if the grip width isn't an issue. The hammer is bobbed, but still "exposed," and will allow manual cocking (though you have to start it back with trigger pressure). Best of all, you can find used examples pretty inexpensively, and mags are a dime a dozen (something NOT true of the Para, CZ or Bersa). You also have the option of using the larger 5900 Series magazines in the 6906 if you need a higher capacity.

My :twocents:

Top Bottom