• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Have the first meeting coming up on a group trying to rezone property near mine to "institutional". They are wanting to house and teach up to 60 'youths that do not conform to normal schooling'.

So there is a lot to unpack, but the first meeting is this week and it will 100% impact my home and any shooting I do on my property. I am wondering if there is anything that anyone knows of that they can share.

I'm all for helping our youth, but the only thing that will between my home and them is a cornfield...

TIA

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am sure there are those who are more knowledgable than I on such matters that will chime in.

My .02, make sure you & ALL your neighbors go in to remonstrate against it. Gather your facts, if possible meet with counsel members that agree with you or at least sympathetic before the meetings.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    You and your neighbors that oppose that location should consider getting a lawyer. I am sure the proponents of the school already have one. Since the project is "for the children", I would not be making public claims that it will interfere with your shooting on your property. The anti-2A bleeding hearts will cast you as a villain.
    Public safety may be a factor. I am guessing that the projected students are those with behavioral problems, even violence, not just learning deficits.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Have the first meeting coming up on a group trying to rezone property near mine to "institutional". They are wanting to house and teach up to 60 'youths that do not conform to normal schooling'.

So there is a lot to unpack, but the first meeting is this week and it will 100% impact my home and any shooting I do on my property. I am wondering if there is anything that anyone knows of that they can share.

I'm all for helping our youth, but the only thing that will between my home and them is a cornfield...

TIA
    What is the current zoning? Are you in city limits now? I presume not because you can shoot.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    You and your neighbors that oppose that location should consider getting a lawyer. I am sure the proponents of the school already have one. Since the project is "for the children", I would not be making public claims that it will interfere with your shooting on your property. The anti-2A bleeding hearts will cast you as a villain.
    Public safety may be a factor. I am guessing that the projected students are those with behavioral problems, even violence, not just learning deficits.
    So this is why I came here to pose said question...

Why is it that I can go to another country to "expose" them to our democracy etc as a servicemember, but the moment I want to make sure that my rights aren't being violated within the property that I own here is now going to be a problem?

And yes to all of your guesses... Which is why only having a cornfield between them and my back door is concerning.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm out in the county where I am legally allowed to shoot whatever I want as long as said projectile doesn't leave my property... At least that's how the law was dumbed down for me...
    Follow up question is this a county, township, town, or city, town that will be holding the hearing?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

TIA
    This one?

Applicant: Myra Harris Location: 1X7 East XX South, Valparaiso, IN 46383 (Morgan Township) Zoning: R1, Low Density Single-family Residential District Request: Rezone a parcel of land from Low Density Single-family Residential (R1) District to Institutional (IN) District, for a proposed educational farmstead where agricultural studies will be available.

I removed specifics about the address for your privacy.

If it is, it is on the agenda for the planning commission for October 25, Weds, of this week at 5:30 p.m., in the Porter County Administrative Center, 155 Indiana Avenue, Suite 205, Valparaiso, Indiana.

Morgan Township is the same township I live in and for others here, this should be a strictly county level approval process. The address on the agenda is not within Valparaiso city limits. It's 1.5 miles from me on the road a a little over 1/2 mile as the crow flies. You're probably the guy I hear shooting from time to time. It's a sweet, sweet sound.

Last edited:

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    This one?

Applicant: Myra Harris Location: 1X7 East XX South, Valparaiso, IN 46383 (Morgan Township) Zoning: R1, Low Density Single-family Residential District Request: Rezone a parcel of land from Low Density Single-family Residential (R1) District to Institutional (IN) District, for a proposed educational farmstead where agricultural studies will be available.

I removed specifics about the address for your privacy.

If it is, it is on the agenda for the planning commission for October 25, Weds, of this week at 5:30 p.m., in the Porter County Administrative Center, 155 Indiana Avenue, Suite 205, Valparaiso, Indiana.

Morgan Township is the same township I live in and for others here, this should be a strictly county level approval process. The address on the agenda is not within Valparaiso city limits. It's 1.5 miles from me on the road a a little over 1/2 mile as the crow flies. You're probably the guy I hear shooting from time to time. It's a sweet, sweet sound.
    Your thoughts/any insight you could give?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Your thoughts?
    I know next to nothing about real estate law, but if any neighbors are with you on this, I'd get them together and at least attend the meeting. You may consider asking questions including specifically how you use your property and whether this would be a problem. I don't know what it takes to formally oppose it, but I would look into it.

I would hope that you and this place could coexist, but I wouldn't want optimism to led to complacency.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I know next to nothing about real estate law, but if any neighbors are with you on this, I'd get them together and at least attend the meeting. You may consider asking questions including specifically how you use your property and whether this would be a problem. I don't know what it takes to formally oppose it, but I would look into it.

I would hope that you and this place could coexist, but I wouldn't want optimism to led to complacency.

If you are a member of the FB group for the township, you might have seen a lengthy discussion on this topic, not a lot were on board, so I think there are going to be quite a few at the meeting. I'm going to go to listen for now. Couldn't agree more with the coexisting, but I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you are a member of the FB group for the township, you might have seen a lengthy discussion on this topic, not a lot were on board, so I think there are going to be quite a few at the meeting. I'm going to go to listen for now. Couldn't agree more with the coexisting, but I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    I'm not, but I will be soon. Looks like I have some reading to catch up on.

Top Bottom