• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Hey guys, just wanted to check to see what y'all do (if anything) when selling your firearms. I moved back to Indiana after several years away not too long ago. I've always checked for gun permit and write bill of sale in the past, but how do you all treat it with the constitutional carry? Just getting ideas and seeing what others do. Thanks

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My local gun store offers a fair price and is easy to deal with. Taking in the gun is far easier than posting an add and meeting people plus I have no worries about inadvertently selling to a prohibited person. I'm sure I do get a bit less money though.

If a friend were to buy a firearm I would take a picture of their drivers license and have a bill of sale.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My local gun store offers a fair price and is easy to deal with. Taking in the gun is far easier than posting an add and meeting people plus I have no worries about inadvertently selling to a prohibited person. I'm sure I do get a bit less money though.

If a friend were to buy a firearm I would take a picture of their drivers license and have a bill of sale.
    You have a flair for understatement.;)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The law requires that you don't knowingly sell to someone who is an improper person. And that they live in the same state you do. That is it.

Some will require seeing a DL and a pink card as that will most likely satisfy both. Others will do a bill of sale.

Meeting at a LGS for a transfer is another option but that ads money and some people don't want a paper trail as ".gov doesn't need to know what I have." I can't blame them.

So it's entirely up to you how far you go. How much do you want to CYA?

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys, just wanted to check to see what y'all do (if anything) when selling your firearms. I moved back to Indiana after several years away not too long ago. I've always checked for gun permit and write bill of sale in the past, but how do you all treat it with the constitutional carry? Just getting ideas and seeing what others do. Thanks
    All I do is check for a Indiana ID and wright up a bill of sale just incase the cops ever show up at my door over that gun. Sure you could sell it to a gun store but your getting maybe 60% its value that way.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I follow the BATF rules PERIOD. If they have an Indiana drivers license showing they are 18 or older AND I "do not know or have any reason to believe they are Illegal to own a firearm" we are good to go! (BATF does not require any farther checking - in fact a common citizen is not allowed to look at the persons legality via the background check.)

That is what is required by the BATF, I see zero reason to do anything more - I feel we have way more laws / rules than needed already.
    Most criminals either steal a firearm, trade a gang member for one or otherwise obtain one illegally.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    The law requires that you don't knowingly sell to someone who is an improper person. And that they live in the same state you do. That is it.

Some will require seeing a DL and a link card as that will most likely satisfy both. Others will do a bill of sale.

Meeting at a LGS for a transfer is another option but that ads money and some people don't want a paper trail as ".gov doesn't need to know what I have." I can't blame them.

So it's entirely up to you how far you go. How much do you want to CYA?
    Kinda how I feel but wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off. May be helping someone sell some from an estate. They don't know much about guns and I don't want them to get ripped off from some of the shops around here. Probably just do bill of sell just to protect them

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Might ask to see their DL. That's about it.

If I'm on the other end of it and someone wants to write up a bill of sale or take a photo of my DL. I'll find another one. I don't need yours that bad.
    As more of a collector my requirements are a bit different than some. I rarely sell.( unless I have purchased a better version of one I have already) I do buy but mainly I trade.

The I’ll find another one argument may or may not be valid as maybe there were not many made overall. Maybe they have not been produced since 1947. Not like I am looking for a Glock 17 to add to the collection. Now a good deal on a Glock 17 as trade bait yes.

Bill of sale. Personally I do them when selling and prefer them when buying. Simple name address DL# or both parties and serial number and model of firearm. Purchase price. (For 20 extra I will write a price in your wife will like). Covers the bases of Indiana resident, makes things look official and both parties get a copy.

Trades are where I like to dwell. Get a nice deal on an AR lower buy and upper and kit it out. Buy a nice old 10/22. Get a great deal on a solid shotgun at a pawn shop. Find a ingo deal on a used Glock 17. (Never happens)
    Some guy inherited his grandfathers silver grade over/under shotgun with case and leather shell and game pouch. He never hunts will never shot a round of trap but has heard he needs an AR a Glock a shotgun and a 22 to survive the horrific future he envisions. He gets all four I get one and both are happy. I trade the over under for a savage model 24 and 2k to a guy who has to have that gun. I keep the model 24 and start the process over. Most of these trades are with people I know and have known for years. Others maybe have been referred to me. I have never done paperwork on a trade. I would but it has never happened.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If there is nothing that makes me feel there might be an issue with the other party, or some reason to suspect they are an improper person, i do the deal. I don't do bills of sale, I don't let people take pictures of my driver's license. If I don't know you why would I want to tell you where I live after informing you I have a bunch of guns sitting at home.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Post item for sale. Agree upon price and time/location of meet. Show up to meet and shake hands. Exchange item for money/other item(s). Shake hands again. Go home.

Sometimes I'll look at a license plate on their vehicle to see if it's from Indiana. Other times we'll talk for a few about whatever and mention where we are from. That is enough to prove to me they live in IN, and unless they tell me they are a prohibited person I have no reason to suspect they are.

Shawn76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    nowhere
    I don’t do to much buying or selling,but when I do,no paperwork unless one ask for it. I check to make sure they are Indiana residents.
    Downside to buying is some people will sell stolen firearms and then you’re up a creek.
    As soon as I buy one,I have it checked 2 times,once after purchase and after a few months to make sure it wasn’t reported stolen. I’d rather have PD take the gun right then and give them the persons info rather then get caught with it and get thrown in jail.

Top Bottom