• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Not meant to be a knock on one or the other, but I am SLOWLY moving from hammers to strikers...did I say SLOWLY? :)

Anyway. after carrying a Beretta 92 then moving to the PX4 series. I have decades in carrying hammer fired pistols. I did buy the Beretta Nano but opted to carry my PX4SC as I just couldn't get comfortable with carrying a striker.

I kept wanting to get into the 10mm but Beretta just doesn't seem to want to introduce one. I had fired my uncles XDM45 and it fit my hand really well and then SA introduced the XDM10 in basically the same external dimensions. Now I am not saying I want to carry a 10 all the time, but I started wondering about SLOWLY getting into the XDM series with a 9 and perhaps a 45 EVENTUALLY.

Shooting never really mattered to me striker vs hammer. I never minded the DA/SA of the Berettas since i figure if you can hit the DA, you will hit the SA no problem and I laser dry fire practice with DA.

So the BIGGEST concern I have with strikers? Holstering.

I always had a preference for a true safety on my pistols vs a decocker. I would put the safety on, reholster while putting my thumb on the hammer so that if the safety wasn't on and something got in the trigger guard and was pulling the trigger, I would feel the movement in the hammer and check. Once holstered, I flipped the safety off.

If I move to a striker, it feels like I am losing some of my safety net in reholstering.

That brings me to what I LIKE about the XDM, the grip safety. Even though I don't have a hammer, I still place my thumb on the back of the slide when holstering and I feel the cocked striker indicator AND feel any rearward motion of the slide. I ALSO notices that by placing my thumb on the back of the slide, my palm does not come in contact with the grip safety meaning that if the trigger does get caught by something on the reholster, the gun would not fire.

I know folks that grew up on strikers probably think I am way over analyzing this.

Did anybody else experience any apprehensions/growing pains if/when they moved to or considered carrying strikers after years with hammers?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The systems are worlds apart in how they operate and feel. But both operate very well if kept clean and maintained.

I suppose it is all in what an individual prefers. Personally I prefer the crisp break of the hammer fired pistols. The definite point that you know it is going to fire.
    I do not get that same feeling in a striker fired hand gun. To me they are just to mushy and the take up is way to long but again, that is just me. The only one I can say is even close to me liking is the CZ with the kit. Those are almost as fun as a proper hammer gun at least to me.

There are far to many that use and love the striker system for me to call it out.
    Pick your poison.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The systems are worlds apart in how they operate and feel. But both operate very well if kept clean and maintained.

I suppose it is all in what an individual prefers. Personally I prefer the crisp break of the hammer fired pistols. The definite point that you know it is going to fire.
    I do not get that same feeling in a striker fired hand gun. To me they are just to mushy and the take up is way to long but again, that is just me. The only one I can say is even close to me liking is the CZ with the kit. Those are almost as fun as a proper hammer gun at least to me.

There are far to many that use and love the striker system for me to call it out.
    Pick your poison.
    I hadn't thought about it much because I don't have a ton of trigger time on strikers, but I agree completely with that. I don't know if the XDM45 I fired had a stock trigger or not but I adapted right to that gun. The XDM10 ergonomics felt the same in the hand but when I pull the trigger its "squishy" or something. I am not all up on trigger lingo and I haven't fired more than a magazine or so at a time on a striker platform.

For now the hammers stay as the carry, but I am trying to learn something new....get with the times.....:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What kind of holster are you carrying? Kydex, leather, hybrid, etc? What position are you carrying in?

Keeping holster clear of obstructions, and in good working order and not racing to reholster are of course the big aspects with all guns, but especially strikers with no manual safety. That said there are a few striker fired guns out there with a manual safety, and I'm sure you already know that a manual safety is no substitute for safe gun handling procedures.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What kind of holster are you carrying? Kydex, leather, hybrid, etc? What position are you carrying in?

Keeping holster clear of obstructions, and in good working order and not racing to reholster are of course the big aspects with all guns, but especially strikers with no manual safety. That said there are a few striker fired guns out there with a manual safety, and I'm sure you already know that a manual safety is no substitute for safe gun handling procedures.
    I use Safariland 6378 ALS holsters mostly. When I do carry IWB, I use COMP MTAC or Crossbreed. at the 8-9 (lefty)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use Safariland 6378 ALS holsters mostly. When I do carry IWB, I use COMP MTAC or Crossbreed. at the 8-9 (lefty)
    Can't speak to the Safariland, but I use a Crossbreed hybrid IWB (or a Galco KingTuk depending on which gun) in similar position on the right side. Keeping shirt, and of course fingers out of the trigger guard, & out of the holster and periodically checking the fasteners that hold the kydex to the leather are tight, etc goes a long way.

Of course, making sure that any holster fully covers the trigger guard area is key, but should not be an issue with those you mentioned.

For my purposes, I say practice with what you carry and whichever trigger/firing mechanism you choose and whether you have a manual safety or not and it all should become muscle memory with enough reps. I personally don't own and practice with a bunch of different/disparate systems so striker is ingrained in what I do.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Like you, I had a SA XD-S because I liked having the activated grip safety while holstering and drawing. I trained myself to draw and only deactivate the grip safety after the muzzle was pointing down range. I drank the striker Kool-Aid after convincing myself of the extra safety layer of DA/SA. I have both now but considering going back almost exclusively to DA/SA except for pocket and ankle carry where size matters most.

I don't know how you feel about Glocks, but the Striker Contol Device(SCD) does exactly what you want. It replaces the slide cover plate. You place your thumb on the slide cover plate and it acts just like a hammer; gives you tactile feedback that the trigger is being depressed and striker is moving to fire. Easily done reholstering and also drawing if you train for that.

Lots of youtube videos on this device. It used to retail in the $70 - $90 range and is easily installed.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had one of each for a short period of time. I shot both the same. But switching back and forth between the DA/SA and a striker gave me issues with short pulls etc. So I sold my compact 3rd gen S&W (I really liked that thing) and bought a similar sized striker fired.

Like you, I'm a XDm/s fan. For the reasons you listed too. I'm flirting with AIWB now. Thumb on the back of the slide gives me a little more peace of mind about reholstering. It's always slow and deliberate.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That brings me to what I LIKE about the XDM, the grip safety. Even though I don't have a hammer, I still place my thumb on the back of the slide when holstering and I feel the cocked striker indicator AND feel any rearward motion of the slide. I ALSO notices that by placing my thumb on the back of the slide, my palm does not come in contact with the grip safety meaning that if the trigger does get caught by something on the reholster, the gun would not fire.

I know folks that grew up on strikers probably think I am way over analyzing this.

Did anybody else experience any apprehensions/growing pains if/when they moved to or considered carrying strikers after years with hammers?
    That technique is also mine, and for the same reason, I'm a fan of the grip safety.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I had one of each for a short period of time. I shot both the same. But switching back and forth between the DA/SA and a striker gave me issues with short pulls etc. So I sold my compact 3rd gen S&W (I really liked that thing) and bought a similar sized striker fired.

Like you, I'm a XDm/s fan. For the reasons you listed too. I'm flirting with AIWB now. Thumb on the back of the slide gives me a little more peace of mind about reholstering. It's always slow and deliberate.
    Especially AIWB :)

Yeah, Been told for a long time, never be in a hurry to reholster. That's why the timer stops at the last shot :)

Classes with Coach and BBI will put some emphasis there also.

I like the tactile part of safety. I can't see the trigger but I can know I am not in contact with the grip safety.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Cut my teeth on a Ruger revolver in a sholder holster. Then I carried 1911 for a very long time at 3-4 O'clock OWB. When I moved to a communist state I had to hide it better. Carried an XDs in .45 for a while. I don't shoot an XDs well enough for anything over 20 feet with adrenaline and peoply back stops. I prefer having a hammer. I dislike pulling a trigger to disassemble a firearm. Back to 1911 for this old codger. I do miss the DA/SA choice on the P227 I carried for a while. At least it had a hammer.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    IF Beretta would just put out a 10mm, I wouldn't have considered a striker :)
    I like 15 rounds and never owned a 1911. I figured it wouldn't be right anyway to have a 1911 in anything other than .45 :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have had my own concerns about striker (Glock ecosystem) carrying that mirror yours.

Part of my rationale for when I do carry one is that if it comes out, I won't be re-holstering it at all. If I draw, it is going to stay in my hand for the duration of whatever caused me to draw. Or at least, I won't be re-holstering it loaded.

Absent that, my plan would be to remove the holster (which has basically 100% coverage of the trigger area), then put the entire holster in the carry position. (Usually RH IWB.)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I appreciate you are most likely talking a SD scenario and my thinking is probably right there with yours, it would go on the ground or floor when the police showed up, but when I am on the home rang (dot torture with live fire), taking a class, or shooting USPSA etc. I reholster quite a bit.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    XD pistols are not a good design and Springfield is no longer a good company. I'm not a brand snob, they just aren't.

As far as your concerns around reholstering, as much as a guy can say "use a good holster" and "look the gun into the holster" if your concern remains, some are using a striker deactivation plate on the back of the slide. I know they are available for Glocks, not sure about others. (reading through the threads I see that was addressed above)

I tend to overthink things but I can't fault you for focusing on what you are comfortable with and what you need to do in terms of safety.

I overthought things a long time, carrying M&Ps with thumb safeties, I now mostly carry Glocks but like you, use an ALS or similar and I am very particular about trigger guard coverage.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Cut my teeth on a Ruger revolver in a sholder holster. Then I carried 1911 for a very long time at 3-4 O'clock OWB. When I moved to a communist state I had to hide it better. Carried an XDs in .45 for a while. I don't shoot an XDs well enough for anything over 20 feet with adrenaline and peoply back stops. I prefer having a hammer. I dislike pulling a trigger to disassemble a firearm. Back to 1911 for this old codger. I do miss the DA/SA choice on the P227 I carried for a while. At least it had a hammer.
    If it matters but the XDm series requires no trigger pull to disassemble.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If it matters but the XDm series requires no trigger pull to disassemble.
    Yes I considered that a plus.

That was one thing I liked about the Beretta Nano. I am not sure if the Beretta APX has it, but the Nano had a small button that could be depressed to decock the striker even with a chambered round.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to carry a Sig P320 for awhile. But I got to worrying about things when I saw the video of the guy that apparently had his shirt get caught in his holster and didnt really know anything until he straightened up and the Glock went off. I thought, as I get older, I would feel better being able to keep my thumb on my hammer as I holster my pistol.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Walther and Canik have models that have a decocker. After charging you can either treat it as a normal striker fired pistol or you can use the decocker to put the striker in a double action length of pull and resistance type mode. Could use normal striker mode for range shooting but double action for carry. Not sure if they have a 10mm model if that is the top priority.

Top Bottom