• BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Speaking of blizzards and car deaths:

16 dead.

Speculation is perhaps CO2 poisoning from idling, but nothing confirmed yet.
    SEE! If they had been forced to have EVs they could have frozen to death instead

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For what it is worth, I'm guessing the gas weight is more like 4% or less for any vehicle with that size gas tank.
    Quite so, but not sure if Hough was meaning a truck, which I would think would be 30+ gallons, or was off on a conversion factor and meant 16 or 20 gallons so I used the typical mid-size car weight

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Like Apple, on the excuse of safety putting in recognition chips so different chargers cannot be used…
    First, I don't see that as being any different than a firearms manufacturer requiring the use of factory ammunition. If they're providing the warranty, they need to be able to set some parameters

Second, since Apple isn't even providing bricks with all new devices, I suspect third party manufacturing (to Apple specs) will soon make the point moot

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Big difference to me in homemade chargers and ammo vs factory chargers and ammo that are not made by the gun or device manufacturer…
    But would you want to warranty a device as a manufacturer either after someone fires 'uncle Joe's brearstopper' pet reload formula out of it or uses a 'supercharger' device on it that exceeds the specifications?

If the end user chooses to use ChiCom industries
    cheapo charging devices, that becomes their choice and the manufacturer has no liability

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are lots of different lithium battery chemistries with different optimal charging protocols. If you use the car's onboard charger it will be set up for the original Lithium battery type. Just because you can stick a different battery in a car and get electricity out of it doesn't mean it will work well in the long run. (Or even the short run if you overcharge it a little bit)

You can't just shove any transmission in any car either, but that doesn't prevent aftermarket companies from making transmissions. There's money to be made. Smart people will figure it out. And are. Read the article I posted.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Years ago 60 Minutes did a segment on the "connected" car's susceptibility to hacking. They had Leslie Stahl drive a car around a parking lot and then they showed how they could take it over and completely control the car from a laptop.

Didn't they physically plug something in to the diagnostics port to get it to do that, though? I don't recall the details any longer.

I'm not real concerned about being hacked as an individual, I'm concerned about mass ransomware attacks. Hack Ford, have Ford brick every F-150 by changing the fuel charts or whatever, demand big bucks.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    First, I don't see that as being any different than a firearms manufacturer requiring the use of factory ammunition. If they're providing the warranty, they need to be able to set some parameters

I agree. However there's a difference between being able to decide to void your warranty coverage by installing someone else's parts and not being allowed to install someone else's parts. That's no different than the auto industry now, or computers, or whatever. If I throw a supercharger on my truck and the supercharger causes problems, that's my problem and not RAM's problem. If something unrelated goes out, that's still RAM's problem. I think we are all aware of that. But it's my call if I'm wiling to void the warranty or not.

That's the point of the 'right to repair' push.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    SEE! If they had been forced to have EVs they could have frozen to death instead

I guess. Tesla folks are saying they can get about 4 days of heat from 'camping mode' in their vehicles, but I don't know enough to evaluate if that's true or not.

I know I was taught early on that if you're idling in heavy snow to shovel out around the exhaust pipe on occasion, though.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On a lighter note, I have just read that during the I-95 jam up, authorities were asking people and news organizations not to record or use video of people forced to pee beside their cars

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On a lighter note, I have just read that during the I-95 jam up, authorities were asking people and news organizations not to record or use video of people forced to pee beside their cars

On the "what to have in your car if you're stranded' thread, I came *this close* to posting "wide mouth Gatorade bottle and a Gameboy". But I'm too classy for that, so I didn't.

(and yes, I know, Gameboys haven't been a thing for awhile)

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Didn't they physically plug something in to the diagnostics port to get it to do that, though? I don't recall the details any longer.

I'm not real concerned about being hacked as an individual, I'm concerned about mass ransomware attacks. Hack Ford, have Ford brick every F-150 by changing the fuel charts or whatever, demand big bucks.
    The one I recall was a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Back then the touchscreen entertainment center was becoming more interconnected with the vehicle's ECM and yes they had to physically insert a USB flash drive to introduce the malicious code. OTA has basically made that in-person step unnecessary. I too worry about bad actors interfering with accelerators and brakes but in future as more autonomous vehicles emerge they can also basically kidnap you inside your own vehicle by commandeering the navigation and overriding the manual controls. Less frightening but nonetheless a real threat is the ransomware attack scenario.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Why not, then they can go round up those folks and charge them with indecent exposure! I mean, if simply showing up on social media being in support of something is now sufficient grounds for criminal prosecution... (Yes that's a reference to 1/6)

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    There are 'aftermarket' companies getting in the battery game now, which will increase supply and drive down prices. There's nothing proprietary about the batteries at this point, but any time you have to buy something from the OEM only prices reflect that. Cheaper batteries will likely increase resale value. Resale value right now seems strong based on rarity, as you say, so it's hard to crystal ball out but I think it'll likely be a wash.
    Only time will tell but im not so sure that'll be the case. Im sure companies will come out with them but who knows how to install them? What shop is going to warranty them? Just examples but most people i know go back to apple for battery replacements. I dont know anyone who runs non oem batteries in power tools and as a Milwaukee fan their batteries cost an insane amount and you cant skimp on them because specific tools need more power. We are at a point where the cars are "smart" cars. How long will app developers continue to release updates to older cars. I could be way off who knows. I think theres a place for both and wouldnt mind an electric car. But when it comes to having to use it for work id much prefer to use a gas or diesel truck than an electric one.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You cannot possibly answer that because you just do have enough information as there are a
    plethora of ways to stop this. Like Apple, on the excuse of safety putting in recognition chips so different chargers cannot be used…
    Can you source this? I have a brand new iphone 13 pro, and its never been on a factory charger. It works on all my amazon crap chargers that cost a fraction. Maybe its computers?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why not, then they can go round up those folks and charge them with indecent exposure! I mean, if simply showing up on social media being in support of something is now sufficient grounds for criminal prosecution... (Yes that's a reference to 1/6)
    But ... but ... shrinkage!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Can you source this? I have a brand new iphone 13 pro, and its never been on a factory charger. It works on all my amazon crap chargers that cost a fraction. Maybe its computers?
    Mine does not work on all chargers and I get a message the charger is not recognized not sure where I read that. It is possible they backtracked on this with updates..

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Mine does not work on all chargers and I get a message the charger is not recognized not sure where I read that. It is possible they backtracked on this with updates..
    I use anker chargers and cables for the phone. Maybe it was the brand of charger they didnt support? Wouldnt surprise me if apple did pull that stunt to protect their batteries now that they got caught throttling performance on older models. My old iphone refused to work with my samsung wireless charger. It would charge for about two minutes and then stop. But I haven't experienced any issues with anker.

Top Bottom