• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Mod's please move this to where ever you think it might fit.

I am a fan of Columbia River Knife and Tool, I know their knives are made overseas but they are good quality and usually very well designed.

This got me to thinking I have been openly chastised both hear and in other places for buying a knife not made in America, while at the same time the person putting down my choices buys an AK47 and a German car.

I don't really have a dog in this fight I'd just like to see some discussion on when its ok to buy off shore and when it's not.

What do you think?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I value function over form. If it works, I'll buy it. If I have two things that are equal and one is made in America, and the other not, I'll choose the American one.

Patriotism is valued; but I first of all want function.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I own one crkt knife. It is the model 19 and I got it from brad's knives It was the INGO special at the 1500 once. I got it at a good price and carried it proudly for a good 6 months as it was my first and only assisted opening knife.

At 2 months the screws for the belt clip came loose and one got lost. I found a replacement screw in a parts box and used some lock tight to keep it in place. Then in a month it came off again (I put it in the box)and the assisted opening started sticking and not allowing it to close either without using keys to close it at times. I tighted it up again and it closes now. Then all the other screws started coming out and coming loose. I will admit the blade cut lots of stuff and was still holding a very good edge.

I just put it in the box and called it done. I think i lost a couple of screws maybe one and even with me liking the idea of the knife in reality it was not the greatest purchase I have ever made.

PS if anyone wants it for 10 bucks you can have what is left plus the paperwork and box.

I do own a polytech AK. Normally i don't like to buy china goods but it is very tough to do.

I think iff they had spend 2 more cents to make it by adding the lock tight it might still be in my pocket.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I buy quality for gear to the limit that I can afford and to the expectation of my usage.

I don't have to own the best in all things - for some things, the cheapest alternative works.

Some things I don't cheap out on. Daily clothes are rather inexpensive for me. Footwear is not to be skimped on.

I may have a $600 custom folder one day but another a $10 Kershaw multitool.

I just buy what works, to the limit of my budget, focusing on some gear more than others. If I can support a small, independent, local (CONUS) shop, then I do so, but it is not the end-all, be-all of my purchasing decision.

CRKT is not a horrible brand (like MTech) but is comparable to modern Gerber & SOG as being in the non-junk, lower tier. Benchmade, Spyderco and Kershaw are on roughly the same middle tier with some offerings spanning into low tier and some into upper. Upper tier includes things like Chris Reeve, Emerson and - though I'm not a fan - Strider. Beyond that are the semi-custom, small shop stuff like Hinderer and a multitude of others.

If it makes folks feel better, you can make the analogies to AR manufacturers - I'll avoid it due to creating butt-hurt arguments over categorizing a manufacturer in the wrong perceived tier.

I owned a couple of CRKTs - a Desert Cruiser and a M16. The M16 lock was horrible and I gave the Desert Cruiser to a friend who was a Operation DS veteran. I might buy the CRKT production version of one of the Graham Bros Razel, if I ever get around to it.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I've owned a couple of CRKT knives.
    For the price of the knives I've bought from CRKT, I couldn't get a USA made knife of the same quality and features I needed at the time of purchase.
    Now there a few offerings out there but not sure if any are USA made.
    In short, I've had good experience with CKRT for what I've paid for them.
    I like to buy "Made in America" when I can, but it has to do the job I need it to do without a substantial increase in cost.
    My experiences based on the M16-13Z, M16-13ZLEK and Bear Claw with belt clip attached sheath.

Stay safe

Top Bottom