• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    Cant say much ATM. Just need some good vibes right now.

We always talk about what happens when the worst case scenario hits. Im not sure which is worse. The worst case scenario or the aftermath of the worst case scenario.

How do you reconcile it morally?
    How do you stop playing it over and over again?

Also if anyone has an HK45 cheap let me know.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agreed with BigRed. What you have said is more than enough. I'll add you and your family to my list.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and make sure you talk about it privately with someone you trust. Don't let it fester. Make sure its face to face or on a phone call. Social media, texts, emails, etc can all be called into evidence I believe.

This place gets crawled by the googles, so anything said here could easily turn up in the prosecutor or civil suit attorney's searches.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

We always talk about what happens when the worst case scenario hits. Im not sure which is worse. The worst case scenario or the aftermath of the worst case scenario.

You are alive!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

"How do you reconcile it morally?"
    Defending innocent life and limb IS moral. Most all religions or philosophies sanction it.
    From the rabbinic sages who compiled the Mishnah and Talmud:
    "Those who rise up to kill you--kill them first"
    "Those who are merciful to the cruel, in the end are cruel to the merciful"

"How do you stop playing it over and over again?"
    You're still processing what happened, so that's an unreasonable expectation right now.
    That said, we don't usually forget life threatening danger. Our minds store the info for future reference--accept that when the memory no longer crowds out the rest of your day, it will still be ready on standby.

Go easy on yourself.

Have you read "On Combat" by LtC David Grossman? It's a good read.

I'm in synagogue at prayer 3x/day...you're included

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The worst case scenario or the aftermath of the worst case scenario.

The aftermath. By far. Especially if there's legal uncertainty.

I can recommend some reading if you're interested, although some of it will be geared toward police this part of it is mostly sames-samey I would think.

One thing that helped me a lot was talking to a trusted friend who'd already been through his own shooting.

I also avoided all news accounts, and news in general. I avoided humanizing the individual I shot. I never learned his name, for example, and while I've seen it in print a few times I purposefully glossed over.

As far as replaying it, that's sort of inevitable. Turn it into a learning experience. What did I do right? What could I do better next time? Avoid "why did this happen?" sort of questions, they are meaningless at this point.

If you're on social media, don't be.

As much as this may sound callous, you can get positives out of this even though it sucks right now. I know a lot of people who have commented on how much calmer I am, how easily I let things go now, how much it takes to get me angry, etc. compared to before. It was a catalyst for me to really look at what I considered important and what was worth my energy and attention. This does not have to be the "tortured hero" trope that Hollywood sells you. It's also ok to be ok.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You will never stop reliving it you have to learn to live with the replaying loop.

Thank God if you only have one to deal with.

Turn to what BBI stated doesn't mean your a bad dude if your ok.

Thou shall not murder!
    It's not thou shall kill.

I have a harder time putting a animal down than some humans.
    Sorry if that offended some here.

Animal's are innocent they truly are just being what God intended them to be.

Humans IMO can be evil!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    One of the best help I got was staying busy. Work if you can do overtime, if not repair your home or work out in the yard or on the property. If you have a church talk to your pastor they are very helpful in times of trouble and often overlooked.

However, the best help I personally got was to stay busy as possible. It helps keep your mind on your task at hand.. Don't sit around and dwell on bad thoughts. Get up and stay busy.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    One of the best things I ever did was get it written down on paper...facts...every detail...and got it out of my head!
    That, at least, stopped the tape from playing and 'released' my mind from the event...because it was written down!
    Plus, it captured all of the details that were, later, very helpful in being consistent through statements, depositions, etc.
    I had the details down to including the coloring of marking(s) on gloves, etc...and it mattered and made a difference later!

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    One of the best things I ever did was get it written down on paper...facts...every detail...and got it out of my head!
    That, at least, stopped the tape from playing and 'released' my mind from the event...because it was written down!
    Plus, it captured all of the details that were, later, very helpful in being consistent through statements, depositions, etc.
    I had the details down to including the coloring of marking(s) on gloves, etc...and it mattered and made a difference later!
    That's good tangible advice right there, helps stop the replay in the mind and keeps facts clear and consistant for later.

Top Bottom