This is one of the reasons we carry two guns!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Anything mechanical can and will fail at some point. This is strange, but I'm not sure that I am surprised. The trick is to be prepared for a failure so when it does happen you can deal with it and "get back in the fight". Something like this shouldn't take more than a few seconds to correct. It doesn't deserve much more attention than that. Maybe get that extractor checked out...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    beginning of video "I have never seen this"

end of video "oh yes, it happens with a glock..."

:dunno:

Forgive Henks poor english.

The point he was trying to make, is that it could happen with any gun.

The stoppage was unusual, for sure, but I have seen it before. In fact, it happened to another member of this forum, CWood.

As mentioned earlier by shooter521, the gun was a Sig 1911. Also, not a mock on the design or the manufacturer, but that particular gun had other issues that day as well.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Anything mechanical can and will fail at some point. This is strange, but I'm not sure that I am surprised. The trick is to be prepared for a failure so when it does happen you can deal with it and "get back in the fight". Something like this shouldn't take more than a few seconds to correct. It doesn't deserve much more attention than that. Maybe get that extractor checked out...

There was a spent casing jammed into the chamber, backwards. With a live round jammed in behind it that also was still partially held by the lips of the magazine, thus not allowing the mag to drop.

The ONLY correct immediant remedy to this action is the following.
    1) Transition to your long gun, if you have one.
    2) Transition to your backup gun, if you have one.
    3) If you dont' have another gun, well ......run.............then run some more. Consider screaming like a little girl too, you know for effect. lol

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    All the stars have to be aligned just the wrong way for that to happen.
    The timing had to be perfect.
    What a way to end up with a short club in the middle of a gun fight

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    There was a spent casing jammed into the chamber, backwards. With a live round jammed in behind it that also was still partially held by the lips of the magazine, thus not allowing the mag to drop.

The ONLY correct immediant remedy to this action is the following.
    1) Transition to your long gun, if you have one.
    2) Transition to your backup gun, if you have one.
    3) If you dont' have another gun, well ......run.............then run some more. Consider screaming like a little girl too, you know for effect. lol

I'm thinking scream first then run while your attacker is laughing, I"ll check if that technique is in Sun Zu's book.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Amish or not, I still like my revolvers. :):draw:
    At least I won't have to throw it at someone because it's jammed. I may have to ask them pause their attack while I reload though.;)

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    At least I won't have to throw it at someone because it's jammed. I may have to ask them pause their attack while I reload though.;)

...because revolvers ALWAYS work. Nope, nothing ever mechanically fails on a revolver! ;)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Forgive Henks poor english.

The point he was trying to make, is that it could happen with any gun.

The stoppage was unusual, for sure, but I have seen it before. In fact, it happened to another member of this forum, CWood.

As mentioned earlier by shooter521, the gun was a Sig 1911. Also, not a mock on the design or the manufacturer, but that particular gun had other issues that day as well.

Yup, I witnessed that one too. It was like it was happening in slow motion. Spent shell was falling really slow back toward Earth, landed in the open action...backwards...and the failure was as spectacular as Henk is demonstrating in the video. Very rare malfunction but not outside the realm of possibility. Luckily we were only shooting a match.....;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Revolvers break as well. I have seen it. So with everything else being the same I will take the higher mag capacity and the reloadabilty. Carrying two guns is not that big a deal.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Revolvers break as well. I have seen it. So with everything else being the same I will take the higher mag capacity and the reloadabilty. Carrying two guns is not that big a deal.

I own and shoot revolvers exclusively, but some folks put too much into the "they never fail" line. I have had them fail- one such was a Ruger LCR- return spring snapped. I look at it like this; if a semi-auto fails, it can usually be corrected by sliding the rack. This can be done in the field. If a revolver fails, it is almost always a "take sideplate off at home workbench and begin investigation" scenario. Such things can't be corrected in the field.

In short, it is more probable for a semi to have a failure, but the effects of the failure are less pronounced than with a revolver.

Folks also tend to believe that revolvers can't be taken out of "battery" (for lack of a better term). They can- if someone gets a good grip on the cylinder, you won't be turning it.

Still, any thing I do with a handgun is done with a revolver. They are what I know and shoot best. They have their limitations which I think are wise to understand.

Edit: As to revolvers being "Amish", I've owned some nickel plated Smiths that would make an Amish man do pentance for a week:laugh:

Top Bottom