• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I currently have two that I am happy with. A palmetto upper on a KE lower and a recent production Stag M4 which seems to be a good quality basic M4. A couple thousand rounds through each with no issues. I have a Primary Arms 1x6 LPVO on the PSA, which I like a lot, and a ACOG TA31F on the Stag. My problem is that in putting the acog on the stag, I now have a homeless Eotech! I need to fix that with a new AR of course. I’m looking at the 700-1000 range. The M&P 15 comes in at the lower end of that range And seems to get good reviews as far as quality. I have never owned one. What do you think? Worth it or not? Just spend a little more on something else? Or good enough? I’m not an ”operator” and never will be and I don’t mind upgrading things on it as I go along. The plus I k ow of with the M&P is that I would leave quite a bit in the current budget for ammo.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Why spend money on a complete rifle. Get a very good quality upper only for your needs and just swap out a lower from 1 of your other rifles.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    What role is this 3rd AR going to fill that the other 2 aren't currently?
    Same role as the other two. Recreational, varmits, home defense, zombies etc. I mainly just want a home for the eotech. I know I can just get a new upper and switch them out, I have done that before, but I would prefer a complete third rifle. There are three of us in the house and if we ever need them, well, I want a rifle for all of us. Like I said, I have AR experience, just not any with the M&P 15. They seem okay From the outside looking in.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I will also add that, if I was going to switch a new upper onto a lower, it would be my KE lower. i painted that rifle a camo, and I don’t think I would be able to match the camo scheme, I’m not that talented. Superficial I k ow, it I don’t want a mismatched upper and lower.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Lowers are cheap. I've tried the "just build an upper" approach before...turned into a full gun in no time. Plus it seems like you have valid reasons for wanting a third (it's your money, so even just "because I want it" is valid in my book, lol).

The M&P is a decent rifle at that price point, as are the Springfield Saint and the Sig M400, amongst others.

Have you considered building it yourself? It's a fun project, the knowledge and experience in itself has value, you could pay as you go (but like "just building an upper" morphs into building a whole rifle, "pay as you go" usually turns into dumping a whole paycheck into all the parts you need at once, because so and so had a great sale!), and build it exactly how you want and to your standards without having to compromise to a single manufacturer's spec.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What would be your recommendation in that regard? What dedicated .22 is the closest match to the standard ar controls?
    I built my own lower and put a dedicated .22 upper on it from CMMG. The S&W M&P-1522 isn’t bad either

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I ended up buying a FN Guardian. Yeah it doesn’t have a forward assist, but I don’t care. There probably is a use for them, it I have never found the need for one. Either work the charging handle or press the bolt forward in that handy little thumb shaped groove on the BCG. Went with it over the M&P for several reasons:
    1. About the same price, but the FN comes with a middle length gas system.
    2. the FN has free float barrel and hand guards.
    3. I liked the pistol grip better on the FN

eveything on the FN seems properly staked and it shot fine for the 120 rounds I put through it after no got home and put the Eotech on it.
    IMG_0157.jpeg

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    You know the deal about AR's: Two is one, one is none.

You did fine, maybe get a few spare parts like firing pins and gas rings plus mags and ammo of course.

(I've got 3 as well, not looking for another)

Top Bottom