Thinking of switching Glock 19 Gen 5 for smaller 9mm. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Glock 43x. You keep the same sight picture, trigger feel as your 19. I think the grip is the same length too. The width and barrel are smaller/shorter thatn your 19. You can get shield mag that gives you 15 rounds. You will need to change the mag release. You can go to Palmetto State Armory, and look up their Micro Dagger mags. They are 15 rounds, but you can keep your same mag release. They are hard to keep in stock, so you may spend a lot of time looking for them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    orzIiyQ.jpg

I reccomend the P365X myself , grip is just big enough to fit my entire hand. 12+1 without having to use aftermarket magazines, stock night sights, and already direct milled for the best micro RDS currently on the market IMHO

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Hand strength can be an issue for some, but if you're a non-arthritic healthy male who can wipe his own backside you shouldn't need to regrip a 43X between shots. If you do, your fundamentals need adjustment.

OP - Mass shootings are a concern, but a much much smaller one than normal o' routine criminal violence. The 43X with a SCD makes a lovely AIWB gun, IMO. I stick with OEM mags because they are slightly more reliable and I'm not worried about an incident I can't solve in 11 rounds but can solve in 16 more than I'm worried about a malfunction on rounds 1-3.
    ^^^THIS^^*

Your more likely to be a victim or witness an armed robbery or serious assault than a mass shooting.

Capacity is oversold as a safety blanket (yeah nice to have and not need yada yada) facts are you will run out of time
    before you run out of bullets in probability of most earth people situations.

If a G19 is too bulky tey the G43X but is recommended keeping the OEM mag. When a Glock chokes it’s aftermarket parts or YouTube trigger jobs. Seen it all from USPSA/IDPA matches to professional training classes to working ranges.

Sig and S&W have great offerings as well.

For myself I use to carry a Glock 19 some but not it’s a Sig 226 full size M&P 45 or Glock 45 (the 9mm model 45) and find it’s not hard to dress around the gun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I wish I had your problem, mine is I have the 17/26/43, and carry whichever one fits my situation best per day.
    I keep telling myself to just get out a 19, and stick with it.
    Nah, no fun there.
    Get what you need but I wouldn’t give up the 19.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I've got a Shield Plus and like it. It is one of my EDC pistols but I carry it more than the S&W 360 mainly for the 13 rnds vs the 5 rnds. I'm looking to buy another Shield Plus that has the optics cut but not sure I want to go the optics route just yet but want the option.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I just need to decide between a 43x and a P365

Maybe I'll swing by the gun store tomorrow to hold a P365 and see. I bought my girlfriend a 43x a while ago, but I have yet to actually fire it.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Shoot the lady’s 43x. Carry it a bit around the house and local to see what you think. I carry G19 or 23, and when I want smaller I go with the G43. The single stack mags carry nicely on my left hip in a Bravo concealment mag carrier to match their holster. You have the gun and spare mag without much bulk.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I just need to decide between a 43x and a P365

Maybe I'll swing by the gun store tomorrow to hold a P365 and see. I bought my girlfriend a 43x a while ago, but I have yet to actually fire it.
    One thing on the P365.
    You might find the stock 10 round mag a bit short, BUT try a 12 round mag before you decide.

The 12 round mag also blends in and extends the grip.
    It fits my hand perfectly, but isn't too long to still put in your pocket.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One thing on the P365.
    You might find the stock 10 round mag a bit short, BUT try a 12 round mag before you decide.

The 12 round mag also blends in and extends the grip.
    It fits my hand perfectly, but isn't too long to still put in your pocket.
    And you have options of easy grip module changes to an XL module (which is the same size as a standard module with a 12 round mag inserted) or various wilson combat modules. So settle on what size slide for a 365 and if you want optics mount or not, and the rest is easily adjusted.

I prefer the x config (though mine aren't OR as mine are standard 365 slides), with an XL WC module and a standard 365 slide.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I had both a P365 and a P365XL. The smaller gun is easier to carry, for sure. It is also a bit harder to control. I sold it and kept the XL; it is small enough for comfortable IWB carry, and large enough to get a full grip on. I also like the 12+1 capacity of the XL. Full disclosure: I sold my full-size P320 after getting the XL. I really like my P365XL. My only gripe is the straight trigger. I just ordered a standard curved trigger for my FCU. Direct from Sig, it was $32 with tax and shipping. Money well spent, IMHO.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I am of the believe capacity is way over sold. If you’re used to Glock triggers and like them I’d go 43x. The 365 trigger is totally different and takes getting used to.

There are many smaller 9mm to select from. I’d shoot all you can of them and make a decision based on that.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am of the believe capacity is way over sold. If you’re used to Glock triggers and like them I’d go 43x. The 365 trigger is totally different and takes getting used to.

There are many smaller 9mm to select from. I’d shoot all you can of them and make a decision based on that.
    I am not sure about capacity being oversold, but I totally agree with "shoot all of them you can" before making a decision. About 2 years ago, I took my daughter and grandson out for a day of 'try 'em all' at Kodiak. I brought my P320, P365 and G21, though I know she was looking for something smaller. She shot my P365, and several from Kodiak's collection. I remember a S&W, Ruger, at least 2 Glocks, a Hellcat, and probably more. She settled on the P365, but all of them were a compromise in one way or another. Grip position, grip retention during firing, placement of mag release and/or slide release, perceived recoil, f/u shots, and yes... capacity. Choice: P365 w/MS. She likes it enough to actually shoot it. She shoots it enough to be proficient. She made an informed decision. As mentioned, shoot a bunch of them, buy the one that works for you.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I am not sure about capacity being oversold, but I totally agree with "shoot all of them you can" before making a decision. About 2 years ago, I took my daughter and grandson out for a day of 'try 'em all' at Kodiak. I brought my P320, P365 and G21, though I know she was looking for something smaller. She shot my P365, and several from Kodiak's collection. I remember a S&W, Ruger, at least 2 Glocks, a Hellcat, and probably more. She settled on the P365, but all of them were a compromise in one way or another. Grip position, grip retention during firing, placement of mag release and/or slide release, perceived recoil, f/u shots, and yes... capacity. Choice: P365 w/MS. She likes it enough to actually shoot it. She shoots it enough to be proficient. She made an informed decision. As mentioned, shoot a bunch of them, buy the one that works for you.
    I’m going off real life experience of everyone I know personally or even regular members on here to determine that I know exactly zero people who didn’t have enough ammo to protect themselves in a defensive situation.

Of course in theory more rounds is better and i get people believe they are more prepared if they have more rounds but in my opinion I’m not any less prepared with a five shot revolver or when I carry one of my full size CZs. It’s a personal preference of course but I do tend to carry small guns and go for comfort. I am a huge believer of the gun you carry is a much better option than the one you leave in the safe. I also believe in enjoying shooting my guns and am totally ok giving up capacity if I shoot it better or enjoy shooting it more. I recently gave up on the 365 and 43x for a cz p10m for this very reason.

I’m a big believer in carry what you like because you will carry it more often. Don’t let the internet persuade you that 10 plus one in a gun you don’t like to shoot or carry is better than a 6 plus one that you enjoy and is always with you. Shoot everything you possibly can as much as you can when making a edc decision.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Another sub-compact to take a look at is the Walther PPS M2. It's got a Glock like trigger and takes down about the same. If capacity isn't an issue, it comes with a 6 rd and 7 rd mag. and 8 rounders are available.

I shoot my Walther better than nearly everything in the safe!

Top Bottom