Thinking of purchasing a Smith&Wesson SW9f...any opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muncieguy83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I'm getting ready to purchase my first hand gun, and I found a smith & wesson sw9f. The gun appears to be in excellent shape, no rust or pitting. I shot the gun today, I liked the feel of it.

I was wanting to know, what are your guys thoughts on this gun? Are they dependable? What is one worth?

my main purpose for the gun will be personal protection and recreation.

Thanks for the help

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not enough info. How many rounds? The low-end S&W Sigmas are known for horrible triggers, so in that regard a used one might be better.

IMO, you have to beat the new price by 30% or its not worth the hassles of buying used. You might be able to get a new one for $300 with no tax at the 1500 next weekend...

Muncieguy83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    But I heard the sw9ve isn't as dependable as the sw9f. The f model was built more like the glock. I believe glock even had a lawsuit against S&W for it. Again, I don't really know the difference, I'm kinda new to hand guns, and most people I know are glock fans and don't know much about smith and wesson

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    sw9ve is reliable, the big complaint is the trigger though i believe it is a bit more refined then 9f. i have the 40ve and i like it (trigger and all).
    or like crispy said, sd9 for less then $400. great gun and a great company

Muncieguy83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I just checked out the SD9 I like the look, and also it seems you can pick them up all day for under $400 too!

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Stop messing around

Get the S&W M&P.

I don't skimp on three things:

1. Gifts for my wife
    2. Gifts for my children
    3. Guns with which I protect both my family and my possessions.

Vanguard.45

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    But then... if you're going to spend $400, you could have a Ruger SR9 or SR9c with a good trigger and a lifetime warranty...

:D

This is QFT!

If you can deal with the heavy trigger of the SD9 then I'd envision it being a solid pistol for the money. However, this man presents a very solid argument :rockwoot: :D

The SR9s from Ruger are SMOKING deals for the quality of the gun. The trigger is superior to a lot of its competitors (and IMO a much better trigger than a Glock, with which it shares a similar overall feel) and if you were willing to spend the extra $50-60 on a Sigma you can probably reach out to around $400 or so to get the SR9. The SR9C is an even more smoking deal - it has an even better trigger than the fullsize SR9 and gives you a flush fit mag, as well as an "extended" magazine that matches the size and capacity of the fullsize SR9. Good for carry duty with the flush fit (or attach the included pinky grip extention) and range/home defense duty with the "extended" mag. Convertible gun anyone? :yesway:

The M&Ps are no doubt really nice guns too and I find them to be among some of the most comfortable pistols (for me that is) but usually $550+ for new ones. Not sure if that's more than you're willing to spend but I'd take the M&P over the Sigma without question (a bit harder to decide between the SR9/M&P)

glock2010

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    In The Backwoods
    i would x the sigma and get a glock 19,17,or 26 if you want a 9mm i know the price is going to be higher but you get what you pay for. Check out ingo classfieds for a nice used glock:twocents:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the S&W Sigma .40 and I did a trigger fix on it in less than 15 minutes literally. Now they go for about $350 or so, but I bought mine in 2003 for $275. Here is a link to the trigger fix and you do not have to be a gunsmith to do it.

Part 1

Part 2

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For the price you are willing to pay for that particular used gun you could get a brand new gun for the same price or maybe just a little more. Nothing against that gun and it is good that you were able to test fire it and that you like how it feels, but I would just explore a few more options first. If in the end you feel best with going with this gun then go for it. Good luck with your decision.

Muncieguy83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks for all the input guys, I'm still deciding! I agree though I need to explore my options! It seems there are a lot of good choices out there for the same money!

Top Bottom