• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    Coming up in August, I'm going to a party on the Indiana/Illinois border in the Chicago land area. It's a party they have every year, and I've gone the past two times. It's a fairly large party that covers 3 days and camping, full of people I do not know.

I've read on here that the Illinois laws are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to people carrying firearms. The party is literally on the state line, but will take place in Illinois (if they lived on the other side of the street, I wouldn't even bother posting my concern, because there wouldn't be a concern). It's a 3 day party that I would rather not be without my firearm. Can someone give me a brief summary of what you can and cannot do in Illinois? It's on private property, can I carry? What about leaving it in my car? Or my tent? I'm guessing that my Indiana LTCH isn't valid in Illinois?

Honestly, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, so if I found myself in an unthinkable situation it may not matter.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Most people that carry are law abiding and try to stay out of jail. If you carry in Il. you are breaking the law don't care if you like it or not. How would like spending nights locked in with all all the home boys and the people you carry a gun to protect your self from? You could also loose the rite to carry.

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Most people that carry are law abiding and try to stay out of jail. If you carry in Il. you are breaking the law don't care if you like it or not. How would like spending nights locked in with all all the home boys and the people you carry a gun to protect your self from? You could also loose the rite to carry.

^^^^ This..... When I go through Ill. to Iowa I drive the speed limit and only stop if I have to....

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Unfortunately, dont carry. Lock it in your car, unloaded. Carry a knife and/or some pepper spray and a good flashlight. While I agree with you that I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6, but if you were to carry and break concealment, just for a second, then you could wind up in prison, never be allowed to own or carry firearms ANYWHERE, and really put a damper on your weekend. If you are uncomfortable around someone, I would just leave, even if it is just for a few hours.

If you decide to heed this advice, just remember concealed means concealed. Get the smallest gun you have, and conceal the deepest you can. Dont tell anyone, not even someone you trust.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    I would say park on the Indiana side of the street. Leave it in your car cocked and locked and you shouldn't have a problem. I would say that if you are worried about the situation enough to be tempted to break the law. Stay away.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I would say park on the Indiana side of the street. Leave it in your car cocked and locked and you shouldn't have a problem. I would say that if you are worried about the situation enough to be tempted to break the law. Stay away.

I would call this good advice!!!

Illinois has a law that makes it legal to posses and carry on private property if you have permission of the property owner. I don't remember if it applies to Illinois residents only. I will try to check on this and get back. Jim.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Well, here's the actual Illinois LAW, instead of all the conjecture.

Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission
    , any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card

Despite everyone's opinion it is not illegal to possess a handgun on the property of someone you are invited to be on.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well, here's the actual Illinois LAW, instead of all the conjecture.

Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card

Despite everyone's opinion it is not illegal to possess a handgun on the property of someone you are invited to be on.
    Ahh who needs all that. Let's just speculate some more. :):

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    Thanks for the information. I didn't realize Illinois painted their gun laws with such a wide brush. Sounds like I'll just keep it unloaded and secured in my vehicle... IF my LTCH works as a "Firearm Owner's Identification Card."

Does anyone know what a "Firearm Owner's Identification Card" is exactly?

+1 to ryknoll3 for actually providing the law.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I know it sucks, but Illinois sucks as far as gun laws go, so do not carry there. You are breaking their laws if you do.

Did you not even read the quoted law that ryknoll3 just posted?

Illinois gun laws (STATE laws not local) aren't actually as bad as many try to suggest

The FOID card sucks & not allowing any type of loaded carry is ridiculous but...

You can have a legally owned firearm in your vehicle as long as the loaded mag is removed (along with the chambered round) & it's in a closed container with no permit required (since a permit isn't even possible in IL).

That's not even legal here in IN until (FINALLY) after July 1st.

You can even open carry while lawfully hunting. Again not allowed in IN without a LTCH.

There have been several IL supreme court cases affirming the legal ability to carry a handgun unloaded in a closed case. Even one involving a resident of IN.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Actually, you CAN carry loaded on someone else's property if you are an invitee there. Read the statute again. The law says it's illegal to be in possession of a firearm UNLESS if you are on your property, someone else's property or the firearm is unloaded and encased.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    ryknoll3 has it correct, I wasn't sure of the wording in my earlier post if it made any exception for out of state visitors. As long as you have permission of the property owner you may carry. Jim.

Top Bottom