• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have seen new SD9 and SD40 handguns go for $300 new and $200ish used.

I am thinking about buying one just to leave in my truck. It is cheap enough that if it is stolen, I am not out of a lot of money.

From all the reviews I have read, they appeare very durable and reliable. Two complaints are that the trigger pull is long and heavy and the slide may not consistently lock back after the last round (only mentioned in a few online forums).

Downside is the mags are pricey at $35, but they have a metal body.

My only hesitation is that I can add a little more cash for an M&P or a used Glock. However, that will defeat my goal of leaving an inexpensive firearm in my truck, that could potentially be stolen (It will be in a lock box mounted in the floor, but we all know how easily they can be broken open).

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They aren't bad. Like you said, the triggers suck but as long as it doesn't effect your accuracy, I think it would be ok.

Our local LGS had the Ruger SR9-E on sale for $270 a while back. The new Ruger Security 9 is around $300 I think. And like you mentioned, used M&P's can be found for a little more.

I'd shop around for a while and see what you can find.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I own both an SD9VE and a Ruger 9E. They are both great pistols for their price points.

The trigger on the Ruger is very good, better than some stock Glocks that I've shot. The trigger on the SD9VE is more like a double action revolver, despite the pistol being striker fired. Not the best trigger in the world, but not horrible either, especially if you have some experience with a DA revolver.

The SD9 has no external safety, the Ruger has a thumb safety. Personal preference on this one. I don't mind the thumb safety on the Ruger. Mine lives in the end table with the safety off, but if I had to grab a pistol and tuck it in my waistband in a hurry, the thumb safety would be nice.

The SD9 holds 16+1, the Ruger holds 17+1.

Night sights are generally not available for the Ruger. It does not take the same sights as its more expensive brother, the SR9. I've heard that some 1911 Novak sights will fit the 9E, but they have to be fitted, and if you are looking to keep costs down this is probably not an option.

The SD9 takes any M&P sight, so lots of options if you want to change your sight picture. Again, might not matter if you are simply looking for a low dollar truck gun.

If I were forced to sell one or the other, I'd probably keep my Ruger 9E. The trigger is much better, it holds 1 more round and it just seems a little more robust than the SD9 to me.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    They aren't bad for the price and every one I have been around has been reliable. In the long run; I'd rather save up for an M&P 2.0. If you just want a truck gun, wait for a used M&P 1.0 to come around. IMHO

Insert lecture about leaving gun in truck here :

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I bought an SD9VE brand new from Combat Armory for $235 a few months ago (price has gone back up to $289) and it's a solid shooter that goes bang every time you pull the trigger. It sits in the kitchen junk drawer in case somone tries to come in and steal my meatloaf. If the price goes back down I'll likely buy 2 or 3 more because I'm currently a soft target in 2 of my bathrooms.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Beretta 92S and LEO trade M&Ps can be had for $300 easy. However...

I am thinking about buying one just to leave in my truck. It is cheap enough that if it is stolen, I am not out of a lot of money.

This is a significantly irresponsible statement and I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    Why, it's in a lock box bolted to the floor? Too many nervous people here. We need to be more concerned with those who leave a handgun in the middle console, or in a glove box.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They aren't bad for the price and every one I have been around has been reliable. In the long run; I'd rather save up for an M&P 2.0. If you just want a truck gun, wait for a used M&P 1.0 to come around. IMHO

Insert lecture about leaving gun in truck here :

1.0 new here for $349 https://www.aimsurplus.com/product....e=Smith+&+Wesson+M&P+9mm+Handgun&groupid=7952

That said, I've seen new 2.0 Compacts for 399 on Grab a Gun, which is a great gun for the price.

Higher than the amount of what you might want to leave locked in a truck though. Personally, I don't get the allure of leaving a gun in a car (all the time) rather than having it on me. Obviously there are occasions where you may have to leave it there, but having it live there isn't something I'm particularly interested in.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Why, it's in a lock box bolted to the floor? Too many nervous people here. We need to be more concerned with those who leave a handgun in the middle console, or in a glove box.

Meh.

How about ARs with loaded mags taped banana style under the back seat?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

First you failed to state in your OP that this was the case. Even if it is though, leaving a handgun in your car is stupid. How helpful is a gun, locked in a metal box, bolted to the floor, for your protection? Are you going to ask the carjacker politely to wait while you access your secured firearm? And why aren't you carrying a gun on your person?

You've been around long enough to know people aren't going to let facts get in the way of them preaching.

The facts you accuse me of ignoring were not in the OP. And if you think this is preaching, call me pastor John.

Firearms in empty vehicles is flat out stupid. Secured firearms only slightly less so. If it is a firearm you carry and you have to secure it in the vehicle while at work, great. But If you are in the car, you should be carrying a gun anyway. So the "truck gun" does nothing for you. What is the advantage of locking a handgun in a difficult to access box compared to having it holstered on you?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I most often have a rifle and at least 1 pistol in the vehicle in addition to whatever I have on my person.... never know when they may be needed.

Hell, if I could predict when I need them I wouldn't need them at all!

:D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So the "truck gun" does nothing for you. What is the advantage of locking a handgun in a difficult to access box compared to having it holstered on you?

I have "truck guns"...They leave the truck when I do...This scene from Blue Ruin kind of shows how much a "lock box" helps...He walked through a bar parking lot in Virginia (no guns in bars) and looked for the first NRA sticker in the window of a vehicle....

[video=youtube;7mGcaLcjBE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGcaLcjBE4[/video]

My wife has one for her S&W 638....She uses it from the Illinois state line to the Missouri state line when traveling for work...That's it...

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    The facts you accuse me of ignoring were not in the OP. And if you think this is preaching, call me pastor John.

Firearms in empty vehicles is flat out stupid. Secured firearms only slightly less so. If it is a firearm you carry and you have to secure it in the vehicle while at work, great. But If you are in the car, you should be carrying a gun anyway. So the "truck gun" does nothing for you. What is the advantage of locking a handgun in a difficult to access box compared to having it holstered on you?

Would you prefer I say assumed Pastor John? When I hear or read someone say they're leaving a gun in the car, I always give them the benefit of the doubt before assuming the guy is just leaving it on the passenger seat.

sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    First you failed to state in your OP that this was the case. Even if it is though, leaving a handgun in your car is stupid. How helpful is a gun, locked in a metal box, bolted to the floor, for your protection? Are you going to ask the carjacker politely to wait while you access your secured firearm? And why aren't you carrying a gun on your person?

Why is it stupid?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I stated in my original post that it will be in a lock box bolted to the floor.

Well yes you did, and I totally missed it. I apologize for missing that and the resulting comments. I still feel that it's not the best way to have a firearm in a vehicle but kudos to you for taking some steps to secure it further.

Top Bottom