• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Quite some time ago, I remember seeing a thigh rig in a store with a sign that said LEO or Military only, ID required. And I thought then, "Huh, what's so bad about a thigh rig?"

Then, tonight I was reading some competition rules and it mentioned that thigh rigs could only be used if LEO or military. Is it a Class III item?

Maybe I'm missing something. My understanding is that the thigh rig is basically a hip holster that's a few inches lower on the outside of the thigh with additional support for keeping it in place. They make me think of the old west gunfighters and how they wore their holsters lower off the hip. I've been interested in looking into getting one, but if it's going to get me in trouble, I'd rather avoid it. I'd still like to know why it's such a big deal.

Thanks!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, there's no restrictions on who can use a thigh rig. Sometimes stores have "LEO/MIL only" prices or items that aren't legally for those people only.

The *only* reason to wear a thigh holster is because you've got so much other gear your pistol would get tangled up in a belt holster. They aren't more comfy, they aren't more stable, they aren't faster, they are harder to protect in hands on fighting, and they are pretty tough to get to with your opposite hand. The only time I've worn one was with a rifle as primary.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Looked very good on Laura Croft from Tomb raider.
    I doubt it is a military or law Enforcement only item. Just the dealer made a commitment to sell them only to the above.
    The only nFA items I can think of that are class items would be the pocket wallet guns.
    Please correct me if wrong INGO.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not a restricted item, just a dealer that didn't want to sell many of them. I wear one when I wear my "heavy" body armor because I don't want it to interfere with my draw stroke. One down side that BBI didn't mention - it really sucks driving and/or attempting to draw your pistol while seated in a vehicle while wearing one.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not a restricted item, just a dealer that didn't want to sell many of them. I wear one when I wear my "heavy" body armor because I don't want it to interfere with my draw stroke. One down side that BBI didn't mention - it really sucks driving and/or attempting to draw your pistol while seated in a vehicle while wearing one.
    Not if they work like normal, (which is not very good)and have slid around to the front of your thigh!;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not if they work like normal, (which is not very good)and have slid around to the front of your thigh!;)

I found the Blackhawk with the straps that are stitched with sticky rubber didn't wander around too bad. It would pull your pants leg up a couple times a shift, though. I tried to look up the model I had, but it seems to be out of production as it's all that Serpa style release now. The webbing is the same, though, two attachment points to the belt and two rubber impregnated straps to go around the thigh.

I sold mine when I left DynCorp, I didn't figure I'd ever be in a position to have to carry an M9 in a thigh holster again. So far I've been right. :)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    One advantage is when in full kit and you take off your crap you still have your sidearm.
    It really sucks to run when wearing one it bounces around quite a bit.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    But, but, but, but, but...they look so cool on the outside of tactipants, especially when the gun is really low--just above the knee. Make sure to use the ones with at least two straps; three are better. Leave the straps loose around the leg, so as not to restrict circulation. Yeah, the whole thing flops all around when moving at anything but a slow, methodical walk. Hey, such a small price for looking cool. A beard and boonie hat are de rigueur, of course!

Top Bottom