These are the people we should pay $15/hr??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a t-shirt that says "5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions"

I have had several people tell me they didn't get it...

Ok, I brainfart basic math on rare occasion, but for the most part I do it in my head and reasonably accurately. Remembering a few basic formulas for areas and conversion factors for metric to english units and vice versa. It ain't that difficult folks...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Some of it is already automated. I can see that happening. It would certainly be cheaper.
    I wasn't aware part of it was already automated, it would be a lot more dependable, faster, and more accurate. Heck, with the way they have the registers set up now we could go totally automated with no need for the customers to interact with anyone.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Have you not seen the self-check-out at Krogers and Walmart?

The sad part about self checkout is that while I hate having to bag my own groceries, I usually choose this option over a cashier, because I can bag up the groceries faster and better than most of the employees.

I swear they train these workers to only put 2-3 items in each bag and you end up leaving with 20 bags. I bring reusable canvas bags and pack them full so I only have to make 2-3 trips from the car to the house when I get home.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Have you not seen the self-check-out at Krogers and Walmart?
    Yes, I use the ones at krogers all the time. I was referring to the fast food industry. It could easily be made totally automated with, and I'm no expert, but I think it could be done with ease. Nobody to call in late, they wouldn't have to close, and with voice recognition, well, maybe not yet.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The sad part about self checkout is that while I hate having to bag my own groceries, I usually choose this option over a cashier, because I can bag up the groceries faster and better than most of the employees.

I swear they train these workers to only put 2-3 items in each bag and you end up leaving with 20 bags. I bring reusable canvas bags and pack them full so I only have to make 2-3 trips from the car to the house when I get home.
    Or they overload the plastic bag and it lets go about 10' from the front of the store...

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was referring to the fast food industry. It could easily be made totally automated with, and I'm no expert, but I think it could be done with ease.
    Bagger Dave's has taken a step in that direction. I have a copy of their Create Your Own Burger form. They have No. 2 pencils at the tables to fill them out. Add in a burger flippin' robot and a scan-tron reader and you're done. One cook to oversee the operations of the bot can do the work of 6 human burger flippers.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Bagger Dave's has taken a step in that direction. I have a copy of their Create Your Own Burger form. They have No. 2 pencils at the tables to fill them out. Add in a burger flippin' robot and a scan-tron reader and you're done. One cook to oversee the operations of the bot can do the work of 6 human burger flippers.
    I'm not sure you'd even need a cook, if the bits have temp sensors then you just need somebody to watch the sensor output. Yep, I skilled worker at 15 an hour would save them a lot of money.

Ive never been to bagger Dave's, how is it?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I wasn't aware part of it was already automated, it would be a lot more dependable, faster, and more accurate. Heck, with the way they have the registers set up now we could go totally automated with no need for the customers to interact with anyone.

Yeah, they have a system which loads cups onto a conveyor, and fills them with the appropriate drink.

They could do the same thing for sandwiches.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I'm an Math aficionado, aced several multi-variate calculus and linear algebra courses in college, read books on abstract algebra for fun*, yet I frequently have a mental block where I screw up the change I hand to a cashier-- thinking I'll get an even dollar amount back but really just confusing everyone and getting my pennies back. I don't think there is a strong correlation between accuracy in numerical calculation and intelligence. I'm fairly confident that even if some combination of calculators and apathy has made more recent high school graduates statistically weaker with mathematical calculations, we'll probably still fare ok as a society. Kenneth John Freeman wrote the following around 1909, in reference to misbehaving children of ancient times:

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …
    Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

I support paying them $15.00 per hour despite their mistakes, expecting their behavior will improve over time or they will be displaced in the workforce.

* Abstract algebra made me aware of the Peano axioms, which can be used to formally derive addition and subtraction. Didn't make me any better at adding or subtracting. More entertainingly, it alerted me to the conundrum "Does the set of all sets which contain themselves as proper subsets contain itself?" and I think I accept the axiom of choice. I think a more interesting question is whether math was invented or discovered.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm an Math aficionado, aced several multi-variate calculus and linear algebra courses in college, read books on abstract algebra for fun*, yet I frequently have a mental block where I screw up the change I hand to a cashier-- thinking I'll get an even dollar amount back but really just confusing everyone and getting my pennies back. I don't think there is a strong correlation between accuracy in numerical calculation and intelligence. I'm fairly confident that even if some combination of calculators and apathy has made more recent high school graduates statistically weaker with mathematical calculations, we'll probably still fare ok as a society. Kenneth John Freeman wrote the following around 1909, in reference to misbehaving children of ancient times:

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …
    Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

I support paying them $15.00 per hour despite their mistakes, expecting their behavior will improve over time or they will be displaced in the workforce.

* Abstract algebra made me aware of the Peano axioms, which can be used to formally derive addition and subtraction. Didn't make me any better at adding or subtracting. More entertainingly, it alerted me to the conundrum "Does the set of all sets which contain themselves as proper subsets contain itself?" and I think I accept the axiom of choice. I think a more interesting question is whether math was invented or discovered.
    Man that made my head hurt :lmfao:So kids have been misbehaving that long huh? I thought it started 13 years ago when my daughter was born!

Top Bottom