• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I make log furniture as a hobby. I noticed quite a few buck rubs in my woods on muscle beech trees (Hornbeam birch I think). I cut nine of them and used them as the spindles on the headboard, then used more non-rubbed birch as the posts and rails. I just shot it with the first coat of polyurethane today. (This photos were taken before that.)
    What do you think? What do you think it's worth? (I am thinking about putting it in a local privatives store on consignment.)
    Thanks,
    Alan
    002.jpg

005.jpg

005.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Looks nice.... whats it worth? well ill give you 1 dollar for it?... seriously...put it up for sale and see what it goes for...problem is... you will end up running out of wood if you try and make serious dough off of this.... good work though.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Hours...

I didn't keep track of the hours involved. I worked on it for several weeks. It was a bunch of work on this one due to the irregularity of the wood. I can tell you hornbeam birch isn't easy to haul out of the woods! It's called ironwood for a reason. Every last log was walked down to my shop on my shoulder, which is part of the reason I'm going to get a shot in my knee in two weeks.
    I know that logs that looked arrow straight in the woods suddenly become crooked when I start to fit them together. I cut the lengths of the spindles, cut the tenons, drilled the holes, only to find my measurements way off when put in place, so I move spindles around for the best fit, cut more, cussed more when those didn't fit right... You get the idea.
    I also didn't use one nail or screw in the headboard or footboard. All of the joints are pegged together with glue and wooden dowel rods. After it was fit together, I scrubbed all of the algae off and shot it three times with stain Minwax polyurethane.
    I also made another bed of bark on sassafras logs. It looks great to me but I haven't taken any photographs yet.
    Alan

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'm not a deer hnter but this bed is AWESOME. We have alot of furniture in our house made of wood and natural items. We traveled looking for these types of things. I know of cypress coffee tables (I have one. It's an actual slab of wood from a huge cypress trees) they go for around $500-$800. If I were you, I wouldn't sell it for under a grand. Seriously. And hold out because there are people out there who collect this stuff (example:myself). Let me tell ya, if things were not as tight as they are right now, I would by that up in a second. Good job...I'm impressed!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Thanks for your comments. It's a queen.

Thanks for your comments. I went over to Brown County and their log beds sell for $1500 to $2000 and they don't have the deer rubs in them. I need to go talk to the local primatives store but I'm thinking around I want $1200, then they add their percentage. The bed frame is made to surround an existing mattress set and metal frame as rying to find three level spots to run supports from rail to rail is impossible.
    My next goal is to make a hickory dining room table from a dead pignut hickory we had cut down. The grain inside is beautiful and makes oak look boring. The problem is once I get the planks cut, they have to dry for a year or so.
    Thanks again,
    Alan

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    Bed

That looks great, if i had my way where that branch that sticks out a little i would want on the headboard side to hang my holster. Cause in the night time trips i would bang myself up with it stickin out in the back. But that is a great looking bed.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Here's a few more pics.

I set up both beds yesterday to take photos and in the process hurt my knee again!!! :xmad: Anyways, here is a photo of the hornbeam birch bed after three coats of urethane and one of the sassafras bed. The morning sunlight really sets of the red bark.

008-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Holy cow man....seriously. I'm really jealous. These are seriously amazing!!! I'm so super impressed. I dont even know what else to say. I just keep staring at the pictures in dis-beliefe. Damn.....I want one!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I am in awe, too. I'm not a hunter nor have I hunted anything in my life... other than deals... but that bed is sweet. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings, for some reason. Hobbit beds or the kinds of beds Kings of Rohan would sleep in. HA!

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    That looks great, if i had my way where that branch that sticks out a little i would want on the headboard side to hang my holster. Cause in the night time trips i would bang myself up with it stickin out in the back. But that is a great looking bed.

Ditto on the branch and it is very good looking. I think your pricing is right too.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    very cool! wish I could talk my wife into that kinda furniture...we are looking for a new bed and I pointed out a log bed and she said ummmm no:rolleyes: she wants a rot iron bed:noway:

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    That is AWESOM! Could you post a picture of the Sassafrass bed? I was wondering how you put it together. Thanks for posting. Ironwood, (what dad always called it) is a very dense wood. I remeber as a kid, attacking one with my hatchet to incorpoate into my fort that over looked Graham Creek. Took the better part of a day.

Have A Great Day and Be Safe

PaPa 260

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Opps sorry, you had posted the pic of both beds just before I asked you to post. I am IMPRESSED, Beautiful work. Showed them to my wife, It looks like this one is going to cost me. Keep up the good work. Hope you post a picture of the table when it is done.

Have A Great Day and Be Safe.

PaPa 260

Top Bottom