• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Went to the range today (Martinsville) as we rolled in an older couple was walking the drive near the handgun range, we talked to them for a moment and they told us a large tree had just fallen on the range barely missing the shelter, I went to investigate and saw what was once a seemingly very green and healthy 40-50 tall foot evergreen busted off 2 feet from the base and laying on the ground.
    This was strange, no wind, lightning or beaver activity it made me a little nervous cause there is lots of other large trees in that area and just the thought of them crashing down for no reason was a little unnerving.
    Does anyone know if this could be drought related or are the trees just mad.:dunno:

Last edited:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Ok, for a serious response. The drought has the trees very brittle, think of how a green twig will bend back on itself and how a match stick will snap. Same theory applies here. I am an arborist by trade and have seen many tree failures recently due to drought conditions.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Next, the trees will act aggressively by releasing neurotoxins that make us all suicidal. Just ask M. Night Shyamalan...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sorry 'bout that. I was practicing.

FlyKick.jpg

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yes, we had some strong winds. I sell sassafras root on the internet and my usual method of getting the roots is to tug smaller trees over and pull them out of the ground. For the past month they just want to snap off like matchsticks. Everything is very dry.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Ok, for a serious response. The drought has the trees very brittle, think of how a green twig will bend back on itself and how a match stick will snap. Same theory applies here. I am an arborist by trade and have seen many tree failures recently due to drought conditions.
    That struck me funny....

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Pines do occasionally blow up in hot dry weather. Particularly roots. I'll let the rest of you make up the one liners for it. Surely one of us is a botanical chemist and can do the smart stuff for me. Right now I feel up there with "W.", IQ wise.

Top Bottom