• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The one we drove in February of 2020 was an AWD extended range. It was super bowl weekend which was a really cold weekend and it estimated 150 miles of range. We were planning a 150 mile round trip... We left it at the dealer and drove my pickup. I wasn't going to get stuck on the side of the road in that cold weather with a demo vehicle. We were pretty disappointed.
    What did you expect. No knock Amigo but this is really common knowledge if one looks into it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Not to mention that we don't have the materials to make the EV's at a certain level of demand either...
    Also the EV disciples hate to acknowledge how environmentally disastrous lithium mining is because they're too busy bragging about zero tailpipe emissions. All that means is the environmental impact was relocated out of their sight, not that it was eliminated entirely. There are numerous hurdles to clear in order for Obiden's EV fantasy to become reality but no realistic solution in the works or even in the perceivable horizon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also the EV disciples hate to acknowledge how environmentally disastrous lithium mining is because they're too busy bragging about zero tailpipe emissions. All that means is the environmental impact was relocated out of their sight, not that it was eliminated entirely. There are numerous hurdles to clear in order for Obiden's EV fantasy to become reality but no realistic solution in the works or even in the perceivable horizon.
    Lithium battery disposal...????

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I expected less range due to the cold. I didn't expect 50% less range though.
    Take a look at IndyGo's new Red Line BRT. I lived in Indy and right off the line when it was being deployed. They started test-driving those electric buses and almost immediately realized they were not getting the range the manufacturer touted. They further realized they were driving EMPTY buses and not getting the range. They FURTHER REALIZED Indiana has to endure winter every year and that will further reduce the range. All this to the point that the math no longer supported these huge articulated buses being able to complete the routes IndyGo had planned for them. The manufacturer ponyed up for rapid chargers at each bus stop but that means the stops are 10-15 minutes just so the bus can reach the next station a mile away!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'll add two things:

I scrolled through the driving review of the F150 Platinum EV - it had a range of 260 miles and that's with them driving past 0%. My F150 with a 2.7l V6 and 36 gallon tank had a range of over 700 miles.

This is the Palisades, MI nuke plant that just shut down on May 20th. What are they replacing it with?

e79356ee1901fbcc3b452077f86ec05f.jpg

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    The problem not just with electric cars but the whole green energy initiative in general is that while lots of people think it's absolutely essential we force this transition to renewable and clean energy sources they're also the first ones to cry "not in my back yard!" when the wind turbines and solar panels begin emerging in their horizons. They assume everyone has the time to waste waiting for energy transfer and that current technology can cope with current expectations, let alone future expectations and demand. None of this is reality but they're too blinded by the showroom shine to see what's under the hood is just more of the same tucked away out of their sight so they'll get the feeling of smug satisfaction they're part of the solution when they're nothing of the sort.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The problem not just with electric cars but the whole green energy initiative in general is that while lots of people think it's absolutely essential we force this transition to renewable and clean energy sources they're also the first ones to cry "not in my back yard!" when the wind turbines and solar panels begin emerging in their horizons. They assume everyone has the time to waste waiting for energy transfer and that current technology can cope with current expectations, let alone future expectations and demand. None of this is reality but they're too blinded by the showroom shine to see what's under the hood is just more of the same tucked away out of their sight so they'll get the feeling of smug satisfaction they're part of the solution when they're nothing of the sort.
    It is the ultimate of virtue signaling…

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Take a look at IndyGo's new Red Line BRT. I lived in Indy and right off the line when it was being deployed. They started test-driving those electric buses and almost immediately realized they were not getting the range the manufacturer touted. They further realized they were driving EMPTY buses and not getting the range. They FURTHER REALIZED Indiana has to endure winter every year and that will further reduce the range. All this to the point that the math no longer supported these huge articulated buses being able to complete the routes IndyGo had planned for them. The manufacturer ponyed up for rapid chargers at each bus stop but that means the stops are 10-15 minutes just so the bus can reach the next station a mile away!
    Since the busses are on a single road, why not just install catenary wires and go old school electric?

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Since the busses are on a single road, why not just install catenary wires and go old school electric?
    Why not indeed? A look into the archives shows that Indy actually had trolleys a century ago but the age of the automobile displaced them and the infrastructure was removed. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways but you'll never get younger generations to admit it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sure. The grid needs an upgrade. Unfortunately the markets aren't very well aligned. Battery advancement will march on. EV production will march on. All without being subject to the constraints of the power grid until it's too late.

But, if you have solar power/batteries, it's not a big problem to charge your EV whenever you want. Seems kinda silly on the surface to charge batteries with the sun so that you can transfer that charge to your EV, with all the losses applied. It's not like you paid the source for that energy. You're paying for the means to collect and store it.

Many of the charging stations around the country aren't hooked to the grid. They're solar. And they store energy in batteries.
    I think you missed my main point. That you cant just "buy an EV" like they tell us. In order for us to ALL actually follow that advice, would require an unreasonable investment in our own personal infrastructure to do it. Like being told to buy a car, BUUUUUT the HOA requires you to garage it, so you'll also need to construct a new garage to store it in, doubling you cost to buy the car.

At minimum as an individual you'll need to upgrade your power panel and install an expensive rapid charger.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think you missed my main point. That you cant just "buy an EV" like they tell us. In order for us to all actually follow that advice, would require an unreasonable investment in our own personal infrastructure to do it. Like being told to buy a car, BUUUUUT the HOA requires you to garage it, so you'll also need to construct a new garage to store it in, doubling you cost to buy the car.
    Good start, better example. It is more like you have to drill your own oil, refine it, store it, so the car will run.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A look into the archives shows that Indy actually had trolleys a century ago but the age of the automobile displaced them and the infrastructure was removed.
    Fun fact... Some of the streets still bear names that came from stops on the trolleys. Stop 8, Stop 10, Stop 11, Stop 12, Stop 18, etc...

Edit: I think Stop 8 became Edgewood Ave., but I can remember it being called Stop 8.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Fun fact... Some of the streets still bear names that came from stops on the trolleys. Stop 8, Stop 10, Stop 11, Stop 12, Stop 18, etc...

Edit: I think Stop 8 became Edgewood Ave., but I can remember it being called Stop 8.
    I also think there's still tracks under the pavement in parts of the city because instead of pulling them up they just paved over them. I recall a stretch of N. College Ave. I think where the steel tracks are working their way back up through the pavement and if your tire catches it can divert you into incoming traffic!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Wait until they have to replace the batteries, that will destroy those batteries in short order.

Top Bottom