• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    All of the Tesla vehicles are hideous. Not to mention they all look pretty much the same, boring.

Oh, and the EV advocates will tell you they’re so much quicker than my gas powered Corvette. OK, yeah, maybe but only in a straight line, and until their charge level gets below a certain threshold. And those extra thousand pounds of batteries don’t help it handle very well in corners.
    I think you have a huge misperception of EVs.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I think you have a huge misperception of EVs.
    I don’t think so. I’ve ridden in a buddies Tesla and even talked with them about it. He has owned several performance cars and says the tesla has a definate disadvantage on curvy roads compared to the others. I wasn’t impressed with the handling.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A Tesla model 3 has a curb weight of just under 4K lbs. Corvette, depending on trim/year weighs a few hundred pounds less to a couple hundred pounds more.

Tesla’s center of gravity is so low you almost can’t roll it, and body roll is almost nonexistent. I can take your word for it that they don’t handle curves like a corvette. It’s primarily a passenger car that happens to have insane instant torque. There’s a performance tire option, but not anything extraordinary. The standard tires are optimized for longer range.

Given weight comparison’s performance/handling through curves isn’t because of the battery weight. The low center of gravity should help it in curves. It’s probably more that it’s not purely designed for performance handling than that the platform has an inherent disadvantage.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don’t think so. I’ve ridden in a buddies Tesla and even talked with them about it. He has owned several performance cars and says the tesla has a definate disadvantage on curvy roads compared to the others. I wasn’t impressed with the handling.
    And you can't seat five people in your 'vette. A Plaid completed Nurburgring in under 7 1/2 minutes, which is right there with the fastest four door times.

Being powered by batteries or gas is not the determining factor for handling. It is much more what the car is built to do. The new Roadster looks like it will be more of a pure sports car.

The great thing is, you don't have to buy an EV.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And you can't seat five people in your 'vette. A Plaid completed Nurburgring in under 7 1/2 seconds, which is right there with the fastest four door times.

Being powered by batteries or gas is not the determining factor for handling. It is much more what the car is built to do. The new Roadster looks like it will be more of a pure sports car.

The great thing is, you don't have to buy an EV.
    Yet.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not one that believes it will ever happen. Although I do think that gasoline will eventually be replaced
    It’s as inevitable as replacing horses and hitching posts. Something will replace petroleum fueled cars. I don’t know if it’s battery powered. That seems more like a transitional solution if a replacement solution at all. Without a clear emergency, I don’t see why a replacement of fossil fuels needs transitional solution. By the time we run out, technology will have a more permanent solution.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

"If implemented, [internal combustion engine] bans will lead to … draconian constraints on freedoms and unprecedented impediments to affordable and convenient driving," the report states. "And it will have little to no impact on global carbon emissions. In fact, the bans and EV mandates are more likely to cause a net increase in emissions."

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Today in "things we already know" we have this......

"And it won't, as the report shows, it won't achieve the goals intended and the attempt to do so will have enormous economic and social costs because the underlying premises are either incorrect, too poorly understood or too difficult to quantify in order to take the actions that are being taken,"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Today in "things we already know" we have this......

"And it won't, as the report shows, it won't achieve the goals intended and the attempt to do so will have enormous economic and social costs because the underlying premises are either incorrect, too poorly understood or too difficult to quantify in order to take the actions that are being taken,"

Of course. If the .gov is pushing something out automatic response should be cynicism.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    All of the Tesla vehicles are hideous. Not to mention they all look pretty much the same, boring.

Oh, and the EV advocates will tell you they’re so much quicker than my gas powered Corvette. OK, yeah, maybe but only in a straight line, and until their charge level gets below a certain threshold. And those extra thousand pounds of batteries don’t help it handle very well in corners.
    Actually the do habdle really well in the corners and are faster than your vette in almost all conditions. Not an ev fan but also want to bring some reality into the conversation. Teslas have many faults but handling and speed are not one of them. I’ve seen them in full pissed off mode and they remind me of the gt-r but faster.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    He’s incorrect. The tires that come from the factory are the limiting factor (like all cars). These with some pss4 tires are absolutely wicked.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’ll bet you could maybe get 6-10k miles out of those tires if you keep you foot out of it. :lmfao:
    They lasted 4K miles of one lap with two track events each day for 6 days. But then again, the pilot sport cup 3 on the z isn’t much better for wear. Not as crazy as the ACR spec gy supercar3 tires.

Look I am not a Tesla fan. I wouldn’t buy one on a bet. But to say they don’t have any sporting genes is incorrect and a terrible misrepresentation

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom