• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I had a response typed out this morning and then I realized it was a decade ago.
    Glad the guy figured out his life though.
    My eventual wife dumped me once in college after about 6 months of dating but I refused her letter of resignation. Then she went to Spain to study abroad for 6 months and I went to another school for grad school. 24 months later we were married. Life is funny like that.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Someone who had great insight once said, free advice is generally worth what you pay for it...

Your story intrigues me because for years, I pined for the "love of my life', my high school sweetheart.
    I went to a small inner city high school that is no longer, and when I say small, it was very small. Yet, I was unaware of her until we met one cold winters night at a home basketball game. Several lettermen had been recruited to go to the perimeter of the basketball court at the end of the game and hold cable to keep fans off the floor. My buddy and I met her and one of her friends in the stands during the game, and I was smitten. I asked if she would keep my coat until I got done with my chore, and she agreed.
    That was the beginning of a really great period in my young life, and we had wonderful times. I was a Junior at the time we met, and our romance lasted through our senior years and for a bit after high school.
    She was a huge fan of the Beach Boys, and I was able to take her to a Beach Boys' Endless Summer concert here in Indy. We seemed to be so much into each other, and the connection was so strong, it just "felt right", and seemed like it had to work out because it seemed so natural.
    But, males, tending to be so much more immature than females, and especially young males, I goofed it all up. I cheated on her a great many times after we had been together for a couple years, she found out, and that was that. She was done with it.
    So, for years and years and years, I pined for her. Through a marriage and a divorce, I never stopped pining for her. through raising 2 kids, I never stopped pining for her.
    But then as I got older, I finally realized, I had so romanticized that time in my life, that I had taken it out of the realm of the real world. I had taken a real life time, and morphed it into a fantasy that tugged at my heart because the fantasy and memories weren`t real, they were devoid of the real world problems we faced, and I forgot about the issues that caused me to no longer love her with the exuberance of my young heart. In short, over time, I forgot about the real life problems we had as very young lovers, and created a perfect love story in my mind and heart that I fostered all those years as I projected and protected my romantic fantasy, worthy of it`s own Hallmark Channel series.
    I`m saying all of this only to say, in my opinion, and I`m 65 years old now,
    once we`ve moved on from
    a romance, we`re much better served to focus on the present and future, and move forward instead of trying to fall backwards into something that probably isn`t what we thought it was, and almost certainly isn`t currently what we would like for it to be. I know that hollywood and the Hallmark
    Channel seek to sell us the fantasy that we can go back in time, and revive that old flame, but the truth is, that rarely works out, and is even more rarely a good
    idea or a good use of precious time.

I indented and created paragraphs in places that they really shouldn`t have been just to be certain I was appeasing the grammar gods.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Seriously dude. I would've read it if it were broken up into logical paragraphs.
    Seriously dude, you`ve got to stop hating. I stop in once in a while to ask a question and to sometimes see what`s happened in the time I`ve been gone. It`s discouraging when those like you are still here, still flaming on the people that don`t suit you, the people you`ve decided that you can`t or won`t tolerate. Get over yourself. Seriously dude.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Interesting sometimes, for these threads I missed the first time they were going, to read the first post or two then jump to the end to see how it’s ended up. :)

Top Bottom