Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    90 Minute Imperial IPA
    Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Inc.
    Milton, DE
    9% abv

I'm fairly certain this has been reviewed before a while back but since this is by far one of my all time favorites (top three of all time... maybe top two) I feel it appropriate to give it a second, and my personal, review here.

[STRIKE]Dogfish Head sadly does not deliver to our region anymore. Once upon a time but no longer (from Delaware to Chicago but not to Indiana?!! c'mon guys!) so when I had an opportunity to acquire some good ole' Dogfish treasures I was pleasantly celebratory.[/STRIKE]

IT'S BACK! Hot Damn!!

If you have the opportunity, but have yet to try a 90 Minute, please crawl out from under that rock, take off that skirt gentlemen, and imbibe in some manna from heaven.

Pours a beautiful hand hammered copper color. A prolific bubbler throughout and willing to develop a formidable head when desired to "release the Cracken" of flavorful bounty. Depending on your glass and pour, practically cream colored frosting clouds of Mount Olympus.

---

The aroma is a barely there, clean subtle trifecta balance between floral hops, citrus, and... toffee. Sweet & rich. Acute on the palate, pungent even, with a bigger barley than most IPA's but dissipates quick, light and smooth through the middle, leaving sweet malt and hops.

Drinking this semi-regularly over time brings out it's chameleon-like qualities. At times a hop drop kick in the mouth, while others a nearly barley wine demi-grog, but always classically balanced and exemplary. This brew is to beer snobs as Kosh is to Babylon 5! (sci-fi geeks should get this). Crack a bottle or tap a keg and experience your own divine encounter.

Their 60 minute IPA is stellar, but the 90 minute is another dimension completely. :yesway::yesway:
    :twocents:

Now, bring on more DFH!!

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    [DfH] Sixty-One
    IPA w/ Syrah grape Must
    Dogfish Head Craft Brewey, Inc.
    Milton, DE
    6.5%

Basically in the spirit of beer/wine hybrids this is referred to as DfH 60 minute IPA plus one ingredient, hence "Sixty-One."
    Pours a reddish copper with micro bubbles that slide across (and stick) to the glass. Aroma is heavier on the grape must rather than hops. Very smooth, and what a novel and satisfying experience. It's more sweet than bitter but it's due to the Syrah instead of typically heavier malts. Aroma persists with every drink. What a treat. If you appreciate wine AND beer this is for you!:yesway:

Food pairings from the brewery... Grilled pork tenderloin, sushi, fresh vegetables, summer berries and cream, apple pie, gruyere cheese, young gouda cheese.
    Now I'm getting hungry.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Dogfish Head Piercing Pils
    Milton, DE
    6% abv

A Czech style pilsner brewed with pear juice, pear tea, and Saaz hops. Pours a slightly cloudy brass color. Smells like a good euro-pilsner should. Refreshing mouthfeel, light, watery, but with a good body. Flavor is solid with a hint of faint fruit that lays across the palate. The pear tea keeps things dry on the end. Really well built. I've always enjoyed imported pilsners but this may be my, "go to" domestic pils henceforth, but then again what would you expect from the crazy dudes of DFHead except sheer quality. I like how the hops remain on the palate after the beer is gone. Winner.:yesway::yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Midas Touch
    Ancient Ale
    Milton, DE
    abv 9%

Brewed with barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron. Pours a clear golden amber with some super fine white bubbles. A unique and successful brew. The guys at DfH make some real real good stuff. Sweet & refined; this beer/wine hybrid from the centuries (literally 27 of them) old recipe is light and almost reminiscent of a white wine and yet supremely balanced with enough golden barley to not let you forget you're drinking beer. Just as comfortable out on a picnic of fine cheeses in the park, or out in the back yard grilling the bluegills you just caught. Light and airy mouthfeel as the bubbles turn your taste buds to gold. Finishes clean and never cloying. Truly a drink fit for a king. :yesway::yesway: Do enjoy.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Picked up some Taproom No. 21 Pale Ale tonight. Bought it because it was about 3 bucks cheaper than the other micro brewery beers. Pretty good.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Picked these up last night on my way home from work. The Sun King is the 2nd quarter Fistful of Hops that just hit the shelves earlier in the day. And the other, well, I've never had it, but apparently, it is like gold or something.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Where in the HELL did you get that KBS?!?

Got lucky, I guess. Local liquor store. As I was checking out, they asked if I found everything I was looking for. I jokingly asked, "You have any KBS?" The other clerk, that was on the phone at the time, chimed in, "Yes, I have a four pack in the back that I was holding for someone, but they never came back. You want it?"

"Absolutely!"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Sixth Glass -Quadruple Ale
    Part of the Smokestack Series from Boulevard Brewing Co
    10.5% ALC/VOL

Couldn't find any Double Crooked Tree so decided to try this as a replacement. Not even close.
    Decent Ale though.............supposedly of various flavor hints, but I didn't discern anything really notable..............unlike the DCT.

But my DCT sat for a year before consumption, so I might stack some of this away and see what it does.

Web photo:
    boulevard-the-sixth-glass.jpg

Boulevard Brewing Company » The Sixth Glass

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    KBS
    Founders Brewing
    11.2%

My first KBS experience. I've only had a few barrel-aged beers, and was not a fan before. Granted, they were not of this caliber (I couldn't even tell you what they were), so I didn't know what to expect. I let it sit out of the fridge for 20 minutes before pouring, and slowly sipped on it for about an hour.

This beer was completely different from the first to last sips. After the first few sips, I was wanting it to be over, wondering why this was such a highly rated beer, and contemplating what hop bombs I could get in trade. To me, there was too much bourbon up front which masked the other flavors I was hoping to get. As it warmed, I was pleasantly surprised. The bourbon moved to the back end (and mellowed nicely) and the chocolate and coffee took center stage. As I finished my last few sips, I was left wanting more. I have three more to drink, and I'm definitely looking forward to them, and I will let them warm up considerably more than I did tonight.

Of course, all of you beer geeks already knew this. I am simply sharing my first KBS experience, and the start of my beer palate evolution from hop bombs to who knows where my journey will end (I doubt it ever will).

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    Good review of the KBS, and you're absolutely right about letting them warm up. I actually prefer my stouts, especially the big ones, slightly cooler than room temp. Fridge-cold does them no justice at all!

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever had an ale from the Brugge Brasserie's microbrewery (The Brugge is in Broad Ripple)? Was there not long ago and had their Triple De Ripple. One of the best lighter ales I've ever had!

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good review of the KBS, and you're absolutely right about letting them warm up. I actually prefer my stouts, especially the big ones, slightly cooler than room temp. Fridge-cold does them no justice at all!

I knew fridge-cold was a no-no, but I didn't really know how long was long enough. It took patience to wait 20 minutes before pouring, as I was really excited to try it. Now I know, and I will definitely let it sit longer next time.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Who knows anything about Bells Black Note? Just picked up a 4 pack to continue my barrel aged stout journey. Cheers.

Just drank a 2012 vintage Black Note Stout on Friday. You're right on letting them open up and warm to 55-60 degrees. I find most stouts/imperial stouts to be too bitter and harsh at fridge temp, but so much more well rounded and opens up so many more flavors at the 55-60 mark. I started out drinking every hop bomb I could get my hands on and have evolved into drinking more stouts/porters and sours. I am still a hop head at heart though. Cheers!

IMG_2167.jpg

Top Bottom