Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those little 302's sound insane when you eclipse 6K on the dial.
    If you close up the lash just a touch and put a good set of hookers on it, loose the breather and dial in some timing you will be freaking amazed.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Well I can officially cross driving a first gen Z/28 with the original DZ 302 off my bucket list. This is the big boss mans car, I've been looking at it for 7 years, never had the opportunity to drive it. He's decided to sell it and said there would be something in it for me if I did it for him. Had some leaky rear wheel cyclinders which I replaced this morning, bled the brakes and put some fresh fuel in it. This is a fun car to drive!!! If anyone is looking for a decent driver 69 Z, this is a pretty good car. Not a show car, but a nice Z to take out and drive.

What's with all of the dust on the fan shroud??????? Dang slacking whipper snappers.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Well I can officially cross driving a first gen Z/28 with the original DZ 302 off my bucket list. This is the big boss mans car, I've been looking at it for 7 years, never had the opportunity to drive it. He's decided to sell it and said there would be something in it for me if I did it for him. Had some leaky rear wheel cyclinders which I replaced this morning, bled the brakes and put some fresh fuel in it. This is a fun car to drive!!! If anyone is looking for a decent driver 69 Z, this is a pretty good car. Not a show car, but a nice Z to take out and drive....

Growing up, my best friend's dad had one an original '69 Z/28 with the 302. So much fun! :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I didn't hit 110 at 6,000 yet to blow it off...

Well lets get with it man. You have to hear that thing ring. They really do ring.

It was a common thing to go to the bone yard and dig out a decent 327.....then find a fair 283 and build what was eventually the DZ-302.
    You could stroke up a 283 the same way but the specs/parts list has long since been dumped from my aging hard drive :oldwise:

Get a new Duntov 50-50 solid cam from chevy and put all of that under a set of fuelie heads (I know where 3 sets are to this day) and wow. You had a screaming little 301 as they were affectionately called. They would zing right up to and easy 6500 and could be pushed past that dependent on what springs were on the valves. The stock rockers would succumb to the madness so a spare 3 or 4 in the glove box was a good idea. Needle roller rockers were top fuel stuff back then. If we could afford a set of good springs we had to pin the rocker studs in the heads. I learned to blueprint an oil pump during these mad science experiments.
    These worked really well with a stupid high rear gear and 3 peddles in a Nova or similar light car.
    Think daily driver.....:laugh6:

Great times.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom