• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Much truth here. If JJ would have dropped those names one more time (Kye, Ryan, murder Nova Etc) my head would have exploded.
    Most of his cars were bought turn key.
    One of the 1st red mid 60’s had a 9.90 bracket time plate in the window. He paid cash for that one.
    He does play the Po-Boy dirty south card way to much. JJ just shut your pie hole and go racing. Please
    More truth is watching a high 3 low 4 second car on those roads is scary.
    I really like the NPK side of it.
    When it all began in the 405, those cars were high 4 second cars at the track and ran 5's on the street. A 3 second car to put in perspective for some who may not be as in tune, most top sportsman cars don't even run in the 3's. PDRA's Elite Top Sportsman class cars are running 4.teens. They have managed to send some stupid stupid fast cars down the street.
    I would much rather see the full on race cars in NPK stay on a no prep track than on roads.
    The guy who died in the fiery a week or sao ago from what I hear ended up off the road and they had trouble getting to him to even try to get the fire out. From a safety standpoint, those walls on the track help contain stuff so help can get there quickly. My days of even thinking about hitting the streets are fading.
    The newest round of the 405 show should be interesting since they are sticking with more legit "street cars".

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Lots of progress on the hot rod go-kart. Engine is mounted. Clutch is on. Pedals are all hooked up with extra return springs (just in case). I did the throttle pedal as I wasn't sure how strong the springs on the carb would be. Little tanker put one on the brake just because.

I had ordered a throttle conversation kit to replace the factory set and forget still throttle. We opened it tonight to put it on and guess what. It was exactly the same as the factory piece. On further investigation revealed that everything was there to make it a cable throttle! Loosen up the pivot nut so it moves freely. There is a cable hold at the back so we just used it. On the linkage there was a wire/cable pinch screw/nut. Loosened it up, ran the wire through it, tightened it down and we have a pedal operated carb!

The seat mount will have to be drilled a bit more forward as it does contact the engine in it's farthest back holes. We're using an old booster seat back for the seat back. The bottom will be made somehow soon.

We have a chain breaker on order. Once the chain is on and aligned properly, it's game on!!

I did find the throttle stop screw on the carb. So I screwed it all the way in for now. I'll let him get the hang of it this way for a bit first.

He has painted it black with some chrome and lime green accents.

Pictures!

PXL_20220816_014119613.jpg

PXL_20220816_013904190.jpg

PXL_20220816_013859115.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lots of progress on the hot rod go-kart. Engine is mounted. Clutch is on. Pedals are all hooked up with extra return springs (just in case). I did the throttle pedal as I wasn't sure how strong the springs on the carb would be. Little tanker put one on the brake just because.

I had ordered a throttle conversation kit to replace the factory set and forget still throttle. We opened it tonight to put it on and guess what. It was exactly the same as the factory piece. On further investigation revealed that everything was there to make it a cable throttle! Loosen up the pivot nut so it moves freely. There is a cable hold at the back so we just used it. On the linkage there was a wire/cable pinch screw/nut. Loosened it up, ran the wire through it, tightened it down and we have a pedal operated carb!

The seat mount will have to be drilled a bit more forward as it does contact the engine in it's farthest back holes. We're using an old booster seat back for the seat back. The bottom will be made somehow soon.

We have a chain breaker on order. Once the chain is on and aligned properly, it's game on!!

I did find the throttle stop screw on the carb. So I screwed it all the way in for now. I'll let him get the hang of it this way for a bit first.

He has painted it black with some chrome and lime green accents.

Pictures!

View attachment 217993

View attachment 217994

View attachment 217995
    1st attempt is a positive. Looks better than our 1st one did. Well done to you and little tanker.
    When you guys are done testing update us please. I have some solid ideas to mount a small gear shift bike engine to a chassis like that. :)

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    The go cart reminds me of a guy I worked with a while back. In his younger days he raced shifter carts. He's raced at Daytona and some big names like that. I was always bugging him to bring his videos (VHS) in for me to check out, which he never did. He still had his cart in the garage and he was much heavier than his racing days. He told me one day that I had spiked his interest and he decided to get into his cart for old time sakes. He said he looked like a baked potato in a hotdog bun. Always found it funny. Probably a lot funnier than it sounds here...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We got the kart up and going today. Started the motor and let it run for 15 min. Changed the oil and let LittleTanker take a small ride.

PXL_20220819_144922283.jpg

PXL_20220819_144723005.jpg

Screenshot_20220819-110454.png

Notice there is very little traction with the single drive wheel. I still have the throttle stop set at half. This thing has so much more in it.

We still need to fab up a seat base but that's about it.

The seat back is from a neighbors old booster seat. We fastened it to the rear hoop. Turned out pretty good.

EDIT: Found some pics of the kart when it was pulled out of the weeds at my in-laws.

Screenshot_20220819-134150.png

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's on the ground!

on the ground 1.jpg

Due to laziness on my part I didn't get the frame mounts or trans x-member to the powder coater until Wednesday so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can trial fit the engine and headers before sending the headers to the powder coater. Better pics later when I roll it into the sun later today in the closest configuration it's been to a driving car in over 25 years! :bacondance:

Attachments

• 20220820_161817.jpg
      20220820_161817.jpg
      486.5 KB · Views: 2
    • 20220820_161710.jpg
      20220820_161710.jpg
      421.3 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm needing to cut multiple v notches in 1/16" aluminum, no more than 3/4" deep, anybody have any ideas for something portable and relatively inexpensive considering my one-time use?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well we made a better showing at the track today than the last two outings.
    Not making any excuses just telling it like it is.
    1st time run went 5.340 but was a tickle late on the shift because I was busy keeping it in the groove. The rear was skating around a little.

2nd time run, went 5.459 but the driver screwed the pooch. During the burnout it came out of the water box a tad sideways. So I let it roll through the beams and got straightened up. That required backing up..which requires the trans brake button be held down, which requires the delay box to be turned off. Well the driver failed to turn the delay box back on before staging the car. So, I I let off the button and matted it to the floor from idle and was gone. All things considered not a bad hit.

E1,went 5.499 the crew chief mistakenly set the delay box wrong and the driver was sitting on the trans brake way too long while staring at the green light before rolling off the gas and turning the delay box off and stabbed the throttle. But then the clown in the left lane after the finish line crossed into my lane slow rolling (dang near stopped) to get off the track. I had to stand on the brakes to keep from smoking his azz. Again not the worst time considering the situation and not leaving at full throttle. But the other guy red lit so a win is a win.
    We fixed the programming error with the delay box and on to the next round.

E2 had me back in the left lane where I skated around in the 1st time run. Launched and was skating and dancing around all the way down track and wiggled the tail good on the shift. Rolled out of the throttle and lived to fight another day. Went a 5.483. But looking at the time slip it was on a very similar run to the 1st time run until after half track when it wiggled good and I lifted. Sitting on the return road waiting for my tow back, the other guy comes over to me and says holy crap man, I don't know how close you were to driving around me but you had that thing screaming in my ear from about half track

Something we just started watching is trans temp since the time between rounds is much shorter than we are accustomed to. On the 1st run trans temp was only 200 when I turned off the track. But then the 2nd was 250 the 3rd was probably 260-275 (gauge only goes to 250 and the needle was passed that) but again I was on the trans brake a long time and the last run was right at 250 when I turned off track.
    The sensor is in the "hot side" or trans out line before the cooler. Kind of concerns me as it seem a bit too hot. What say you Churchmouse?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm needing to cut multiple v notches in 1/16" aluminum, no more than 3/4" deep, anybody have any ideas for something portable and relatively inexpensive considering my one-time use?
    :dunno:
    Well we made a better showing at the track today than the last two outings.
    Not making any excuses just telling it like it is.
    1st time run went 5.340 but was a tickle late on the shift because I was busy keeping it in the groove. The rear was skating around a little.

2nd time run, went 5.459 but the driver screwed the pooch. During the burnout it came out of the water box a tad sideways. So I let it roll through the beams and got straightened up. That required backing up..which requires the trans brake button be held down, which requires the delay box to be turned off. Well the driver failed to turn the delay box back on before staging the car. So, I I let off the button and matted it to the floor from idle and was gone. All things considered not a bad hit.

E1,went 5.499 the crew chief mistakenly set the delay box wrong and the driver was sitting on the trans brake way too long while staring at the green light before rolling off the gas and turning the delay box off and stabbed the throttle. But then the clown in the left lane after the finish line crossed into my lane slow rolling (dang near stopped) to get off the track. I had to stand on the brakes to keep from smoking his azz. Again not the worst time considering the situation and not leaving at full throttle. But the other guy red lit so a win is a win.
    We fixed the programming error with the delay box and on to the next round.

E2 had me back in the left lane where I skated around in the 1st time run. Launched and was skating and dancing around all the way down track and wiggled the tail good on the shift. Rolled out of the throttle and lived to fight another day. Went a 5.483. But looking at the time slip it was on a very similar run to the 1st time run until after half track when it wiggled good and I lifted. Sitting on the return road waiting for my tow back, the other guy comes over to me and says holy crap man, I don't know how close you were to driving around me but you had that thing screaming in my ear from about half track

Something we just started watching is trans temp since the time between rounds is much shorter than we are accustomed to. On the 1st run trans temp was only 200 when I turned off the track. But then the 2nd was 250 the 3rd was probably 260-275 (gauge only goes to 250 and the needle was passed that) but again I was on the trans brake a long time and the last run was right at 250 when I turned off track.
    The sensor is in the "hot side" or trans out line before the cooler. Kind of concerns me as it seem a bit too hot. What say you Churchmouse?
    Learning. curve all the my friend. Getting on the TB as late as possible is the key to being consistent and when you add the delay factor into the staging equation it puts another step in the process that makes you pace around scratching your head sometimes in frustration.
    Work on getting the box set up as soon as you can. Be ready when you are bumping into the last beam. That takes some of the pressure off. Once you get past you That part you will see lower trans temps.
    Are you running a glide. You are among friends so it’s OK

Top Bottom