• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It definitely does not vibrate like that under 75. It's all drive train, for sure. I feel it in the shifter, not in the wheel or pedals.
    I want to say 5th @ 75 is about 2800rpm and I know that rpm doesn't vibrate like that in the other gears.

I haven't taken the driveshaft out and inspected ujoints yet.
    Ujoints is where I would start

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I really don't like having too many projects. Though, I don't feel like I have as many as you guys make out lol
    I just have a TON of ideas.

Right now my focus is on the drive train on the vert so I can make it to a road course event this year.
    I'll switch attention to the oil leak on the truck, then the Notch.
    I think we touched on this a little last year, but I'm done with upgrades to the vert. I do want to make sure it's reliable, but no more upgrades. Just maintenance.

Plugs are done on the Vert. I still don't know how to read plugs all that well. #7 plug had oil on the threads and looked pretty dark. Not really sure what's going on there. Rest were pretty white.
    Car feels a little stronger. I did check the cap/rotor and those are in great shape. I do remember replacing those, along with wires, around a year ago.

Took it out for another road test.
    Definitely doesn't like being above 75. Question: if I've got it in 5th and try to cruise 75 or faster, there's a rumble, but it's a "rotating rumble." Like, smooth then rumble, smooth then rumble. Is that the transmission or the driveshaft? This is only in 5th. In 4th it feels more like a constant rumble.
    If I drop it in 4th, hammer down to 80+ and drop it in neutral and coast, it's a pretty harsh rumble that I'm assuming is coming from the driveshaft.

So is it all in the drive shaft, or is there a good chance I have an issue with my transmission, too?

Would be willing to have someone ride along in it (at your own risk ;) ) to see what someone more experienced thinks.
    Post some pics of all the plugs. Sounds lean.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I posted up earlier the power steering pump pulley was out of alignment by .320 so after discovering that CS at Billet specialty's is a fracking joke I just fixed it myself by making new stand offs and spacers. Screw B. Specialty's.

We have raw materials and skills.
    IMG_4505.jpg IMG_4509.jpg IMG_4510.jpg

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    As I posted up earlier the power steering pump pulley was out of alignment by .320 so after discovering that CS at Billet specialty's is a fracking joke I just fixed it myself by making new stand offs and spacers. Screw B. Specialty's.

View attachment 136200 View attachment 136201 View attachment 136202
    This is the kind of stuff I apsire to be capable of in the future.

Ujoints is where I would start
    Planning on pulling the driveshaft in a couple hours.

Post some pics of all the plugs. Sounds lean.
    Can do!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    View attachment 136209
    From left to right:cylinders 1-4.

View attachment 136210
    From left to fight: cylinders 5-8.
    Does it still have the egr or has it been deleted? I believe the PCV vacuum port is right by 7&8 on the 5.0. if the egr is deleted or non operable it will cause more intake vacuum and pull more at the PCV.

They really don't look terrible, a little lean on some but not real bad.

Check for carbon tracking in the boots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does it still have the egr or has it been deleted? I believe the PCV vacuum port is right by 7&8 on the 5.0. if the egr is deleted or non operable it will cause more intake vacuum and pull more at the PCV.

They really don't look terrible, a little lean on some but not real bad.

Check for carbon tracking in the boots.
    Agreed, he threads need to be cleaned up if that is not anti-seize already.

Yup they are a bit lean.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It is an FI engine. Factory Ford FI with a slight tweak to the tune to remove emissions BS.
    No smog, no egr.
    Pcv has a route into the bottom of the upper intake, but the other line that's on the throttle body has been plugged and a breather was added to the valve cover.
    I'll double check the tune and see if I can fatten it up a little.

Also, yes, that's anti-sieze on the threads.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

View attachment 136200 View attachment 136201 View attachment 136202
    That's what I had to do on my home built PS pump mount. I had the skills a long time ago and we have a small lathe at work so I let one of my guys turn out 3 spacers for me. I keep trying to convince the boss we have no need for the lathe (as it only gets used for various hot rod projects) but honestly I don't have the space for it given the minimal use it'd get.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    That's what I had to do on my home built PS pump mount. I had the skills a long time ago and we have a small lathe at work so I let one of my guys turn out 3 spacers for me. I keep trying to convince the boss we have no need for the lathe (as it only gets used for various hot rod projects) but honestly I don't have the space for it given the minimal use it'd get.
    Oh oh oh! Me! I can make space and give it use! Then you can come over and borrow it! Lol

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It is an FI engine. Factory Ford FI with a slight tweak to the tune to remove emissions BS.
    No smog, no egr.
    Pcv has a route into the bottom of the upper intake, but the other line that's on the throttle body has been plugged and a breather was added to the valve cover.
    I'll double check the tune and see if I can fatten it up a little.

Also, yes, that's anti-sieze on the threads.
    Check the plug wires, check the boots for carbon tracking. Does stock FI mean injector wiring and injectors are stock? If it's still breaking up it would be a good idea to get a set of noid lights and check injector pulse. Stock wiring is notorious for breaking in the harness and also check grounds good. The injector pulse is controlled through the grounds.

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Check the plug wires, check the boots for carbon tracking. Does stock FI mean injector wiring and injectors are stock? If it's still breaking up it would be a good idea to get a set of noid lights and check injector pulse. Stock wiring is notorious for braking in the harness and also check grounds good. The injector pulse is controlled through the grounds.

I'll look through grounds anyway, just because of the age/condition of this car.
    But the plugs seemed to help the breaking up.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Heyoooooo
    Driveshaft is off and guess what? Axle side is stiff. Also noticed some rubber missing on the harmonic ring on the front. I don't know how replaceable that is, though. Would like to go aluminum just to remove that.

Either taking the shaft to Indy Rack and Axle tomorrow, or buying an aluminum one (used) and taking it there lol

20210418_205232.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mine was over in the other shop for "YEARS" with my Mill.
    I would have to pack over to use it. As time rolled on my buddy's dad (he owned the building on his property) was getting older and I had to schedule in at least 2 extra hours so he and I could just visit and then he loved to sit out in the shop and watch me build stuff.

Time rolls on and life has a way of tying you up so I went less and less and as my project directions changed away from cars/bikes I basically stopped going. After he passed last year I felt terrible about that. I still do. He was a friend. He and his son drug me off the street racing scene and put me dead in the middle of open wheel racing at all levels. I owed him.

Any way when he passed I brought the lathe home and I have no idea how I got by with out it. I now have some regret as to selling the mill/tooling and the SineWave welder.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Heyoooooo
    Driveshaft is off and guess what? Axle side is stiff. Also noticed some rubber missing on the harmonic ring on the front. I don't know how replaceable that is, though. Would like to go aluminum just to remove that.

Either taking the shaft to Indy Rack and Axle tomorrow, or buying an aluminum one (used) and taking it there lol

View attachment 136270
    It looks like there is some separation.
    Did you keep the dogbone piece on the rear-end? I have heard of people having vibration after gear change and removal of the "dogbone" has also helped. I wouldn't take it off and get rid of it, but if it still vibrates after the driveshaft issues are fixed. Maybe take it off and try it, if it doesn't change anything put it back on.

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It looks like there is some separation.
    Did you keep the dogbone piece on the rear-end? I have heard of people having vibration after gear change and removal of the "dogbone" has also helped. I wouldn't take it off and get rid of it, but if it still vibrates after the driveshaft issues are fixed. Maybe take it off and try it, if it doesn't change anything put it back on.
    Dog bone came off quite awhile ago.
    And with the Torque Arm, it can't go back on.

Top Bottom