• ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Steering parts came today.
    The tie rod is new and complete spindle to spindle ad is a manual steering set up to eliminate that horrific power assist steer ram. Terrible set up.
    So the that part is loosely fit up in place. Looks good.

The box is a 1965 actual power steering gear box. I knew modifications would be required to fit it to the frame. And yes there will be some mods required. Not easy peasy by any measure but can be done.

The issue is inn the pitman arm. The 64 arm in the kit will not mount up to the 65 box as the splined shaft on the 65 is larger Dia. and the arm for the 65 shows its female and the 64 parts are female. Confused........:scratch:

Not so much. I may have it figured out so we will see.
    The pickups have a splined and male pitman arm, it would be a miracle if it's the right shape and spline size though. Might be worth a quick look.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The pickups have a splined and male pitman arm, it would be a miracle if it's the right shape and spline size though. Might be worth a quick look.
    I have done a crap load of research and thank the Car Gods that GM uses a standard tapered spline on several cars. I have a list of 4 solid candidates to look at tomorrow and the local parts house we use has all 4 in stock.
    I spent some time figuring out how to mount the power box in the place the little manual box was mounted.

Some random pics.....

Just a test fit but looks doable. The new refurbished box is 2 times the size of the original.
    The new sway bar is a serious beast and will have to be adjusted some.
    IMG_4305.jpg IMG_4304.jpg IMG_4303.jpg IMG_4302.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are the 64&65 pitman arms the same size and shape?
    No. Not even close. Plus the splined hole for the shaft is near 1/8th" to small on the 64.
    The 64 arm is a male connection into a female on the center link. You can see the tapered receiver on the center link in one of the picks.

The 65 arm is a female. So no joy.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    No. Not even close. Plus the splined hole for the shaft is near 1/8th" to small on the 64.
    The 64 arm is a male connection into a female on the center link. You can see the tapered receiver on the center link in one of the picks.

The 65 arm is a female. So no joy.
    Oh I get they're different, I was just thinking if the were physically the same size and shape you could possibly have the splines machined bigger to match the new box splines.

I'm not even sure how besides broach cutting and I'm sure that would prove to be to expensive

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh I get they're different, I was just thinking if the were physically the same size and shape you could possibly have the splines machined bigger to match the new box splines.

I'm not even sure how besides broach cutting and I'm sure that would prove to be to expensive
    I have access to the machines for this but getting the tooling.....:wow:

I started the plate to mount the new box. I cant transfer the mount holes from the box to the plate yet as I have to locate the right pitman. Thats next on the play list.

The process. A piece of aircraft grade 1/2" ally plate. It is just a rough shape for now.
    IMG_4308.jpg IMG_4309.jpg IMG_4311.jpg IMG_4310.jpg IMG_4312.jpg IMG_4313.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    @AllenM currently has my “hotrod”, thanks to a lovely young lady who hit me while I was sitting still at a red light. She was nice enough to floor it and get the hell out of there, thus avoiding any consequences. :xmad:

F4A63FDE-9A64-4CA8-A2C0-3BA524DC4ACE.jpeg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So today I went on the quest to find a pitman arm in stock for a 50 year old vehicle. I need to physically see/fondle it so I know I am on the right track

:lmfao:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When all else fails.

View attachment 128914

And yes, sometimes logistics blow my mind.
    I have welded cast in the past with great success but not a pitman arm. Knowing this car will end up whacking a curb or some such I want to make sure my end is tight and right.

I added to the "Needed Parts" list last night as *I am planning 3 steps ahead. MSD Digital 6 ignition box. It has multi layered rev limiters and a 2 step for launch control built in. Also a timing retard for Nitrous. All the controls rolled into 1 package...:woot:

Also 2 line locks.
    1 for the usual front wheel brake lock up for those absolutely warranted burn outs and the other when the car is in "Launch.
    Warm-em up (with a secret system to add the Goo sauce) and stage it up. Turn on the launch switch. Set the line lock(s) to hold it and mat the little peddle on the 2 step.
    Let go of the line lock button and everything is a go for see later.
    Same thing I put together for the 65. We ran street bracket so no trans brake. It had one we just did not engage it.

It worked pretty well.....:)
    That is daylite under the left front. Through the mufflers with the air filter on it. Street tune to keep it inside the rules....12.0 flat.
    pjPVMYR.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hell, it's taken NAPA 3 days to get me a seal for a contemporary transmission and you can get a 50 year old part overnite? YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE RULES FOR ME!!!!:xmad::tantrum:

Oh wait, wrong thread.:lmfao:
    Yeah they had it but the hole should measure 1.220 and it was well shy of that.
    They did find the part I originally asked for but it is in St Louise so Monday.

Top Bottom