code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So who knocked up the Joker? :lmfao:

Well. It's not a transgender Joker.

Readers may be tempted to think this is part of DC’s attempt to do some woke, LGBTQ-inclusive storytelling with The Joker being a transgender man undergoing a typical pregnancy, though it’s not quite that simple.

In this volume, created by Matthew Rosenberg and Carmine Di Giandomenico, the "Clown prince of Crime" becomes pregnant by some unnatural curse and gives birth in a vomit-inducing way, literally.

:puke:

It's a BOY!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

If only we could figure out why college, even public college, is so dang pricey. (Hint: there's been massive administrative bloat for the last 40 years)

It isn't just that. For ages I've thought the huge amounts of money Ohio State wastes on football, football facilities as well as football players and football employees could be better spent on scholarships and a return to scholar-athletes. They wouldn't win as many games but would likely move up in academic rankings

Somehow it is always suggested that alumni would give less money to the university if they didn't lose the big game every year. I counter that alumni would have more money to give if the value of a degree was increased

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    It isn't just that. For ages I've thought the huge amounts of money Ohio State wastes on football, football facilities as well as football players and football employees could be better spent on scholarships and a return to scholar-athletes. They wouldn't win as many games but would likely move up in academic rankings

Somehow it is always suggested that alumni would give less money to the university if they didn't lose the big game every year. I counter that alumni would have more money to give if the value of a degree was increased
    Oh, I agree. Sports as an expensive advert program is a major issue as well.
    Though, in fairness, Purdue seems to be an exception:
    [...]
    Purdue Athletics is one of only a handful of Division I athletics departments that is entirely self-sustaining: it does not receive any taxpayer dollars, general fund support from Purdue University, or student fees. [...]
    source:
    I don't know about the 2022-2023 AY, and the rest of that paragraph is worth reading, but It's not like the Purdue sports page is behind a paywall. (right?)

To not make themselves too much of an outlier, Purdue certainly wastes plenty of other money, like an $80M library with vaulted ceilings:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

I don't understand this - Ohio State makes many $Millions off their football team.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't understand this - Ohio State makes many $Millions off their football team.
    My information is kind of old so things might have changed but I read one time that it is the football programs (for most schools and men’s basketball programs at others) that fund all the other non-revenue sports…like women’s-anything.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm not sure your source is deducting all the expenses associated with the program when they calculate that bottom line
    They have to report all their football finances and this is not a secret - search and ye shall find.

From the University...

From Wall Street Journal...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They have to report all their football finances and this is not a secret - search and ye shall find.

From the University...

From Wall Street Journal...
    There is a huge amount of infrastructure - purpose built buildings that do nothing but house training facilities - that were not built with, nor are maintained with, athletic department money. Their maintenance comes out of the general budget for the university physical plant. The only exception might be the stadium, but I'm not even sure of that.

Even if things, such as the modernization of the scoreboard a few years ago, are paid for via alumni donations my point is the return on investment if that money was spent on human capital would arguably be higher. If students were scholars first, and then could try out for athletics after meeting acceptance criteria, the university could save on teaching courses geared only to those majoring in 'football'
    (like underwater basket weaving) which are also not paid for by the athletics department. I'm not aware of selective schools following the scholar-athlete model hurting for an endowment, either. Possibly millionaire businessmen donate more to their alma mater than millionaire NFL players

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As an Ohio State alumnus, I periodically used to get calls for $. Every time I would respond with "You fired a winning coach (Earle Bruce) soon after I graduated, but were still paying him according to his contract. It is painfully obvious that you don't need ANY of my money." They haven't called for a few years now. There are plenty of deep pocket dorks that will make up any shortfall. That leaves me with more to spend on ammo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom