• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    :dunno: I just skimmed through the LTCH faqs and was surprised to find out that you need a LTCH to transport an unloaded handgun in the trunk of your car! I purchased my first handgun back in December and have been waiting for a buddy's land to thaw/dry out so i can go shooting. Now it looks like if I do so it will be illegal. It would really suck to have found out the hard way!
    Time to fill out the forms....

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    I was at Gander Mountain today in Ft Wayne and the guy behind the counter was telling a customer who just bought a gun the exact opposite. He said "You don't need a license to take it to the range. If you get pulled over, just tell the cop that you're going to shoot it and make sure your ammo is in the trunk and the gun is locked in its case."

I started to go over and correct him, but hesitated for a minute and the customer walked out with the gun satisfied. My thought is its his own fault if he doesn't research the laws on his own and trusts some gorilla behind the counter at a chain store.

Glad you read up on it. Get your LTCH and get the lifetime. It's a good investment!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I started to go over and correct him, but hesitated for a minute and the customer walked out with the gun satisfied. My thought is its his own fault if he doesn't research the laws on his own and trusts some gorilla behind the counter at a chain store.

You'd be surprised at the percentage of gun-owners who don't know the laws. I'd almost be willing to bet that you've fallen victim to listening to well meaning (but wrong) "gorillas" behind any number of various "counters" before. We all have.

It doesn't take long to just say "hey buddy, that guy was completely wrong about the law. I just don't want to see you get into any trouble." If he listens you've done some good. If not then at least you tried. Thats the best you can do.

I'd want somebody to help me if an "expert" told me something incorrect. Especially if it could get me jail time.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would want to be told. For a long time I was under the impression that it was o.k. to transport to and from the range without license.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    You'd be surprised at the percentage of gun-owners who don't know the laws. I'd almost be willing to bet that you've fallen victim to listening to well meaning (but wrong) "gorillas" behind any number of various "counters" before. We all have.

It doesn't take long to just say "hey buddy, that guy was completely wrong about the law. I just don't want to see you get into any trouble." If he listens you've done some good. If not then at least you tried. Thats the best you can do.

I'd want somebody to help me if an "expert" told me something incorrect. Especially if it could get me jail time.

As I think back about it, I totally agree with you. I would want somebody to do the same for me. I should have said in my post that "INITIALLY my thought WAS...". I had intentions of talking to the guys but by the time I had decided to, they were gone. It was a moral struggle in my brain. Still is a little because I believe in being an informed citizen and not relying on others. I think the best thing to do would be to tell the GM employee he is incorrect, but I get over there very seldom. Hopefully someone will correct him sooner than later.

truckie011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Cedar Lake, IN.
    :dunno: I just skimmed through the LTCH faqs and was surprised to find out that you need a LTCH to transport an unloaded handgun in the trunk of your car! I purchased my first handgun back in December and have been waiting for a buddy's land to thaw/dry out so i can go shooting. Now it looks like if I do so it will be illegal. It would really suck to have found out the hard way!

This is not actually correct. In Indiana There are two types of licenses. You have the unlimited (LTCH) license, and a qualified license for hunting and target shooting. If you wish to go to the range once in awhile and not carry for SD. Then you need to have the target license to transport your unloaded, and properly stored weapon to the range. (IC 35-47-2-4)

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I didnt know that you could not drive to a range with out a license until I read the FAQ's. I propably spent 12 hours reading here before I made my first post and bought my first handgun. Tons of info in those stickies!

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida

Very good post Rocket57, I was on the same boat as you. Once I found out about this I decided to get the LTCH so that there would be no doubt.

I did find an interesting Federal Law that does allow you to transport your firearm, but just the thought of getting arrested and having to show up in court with a lawyer is enough for me to pay the $125 and never have to worry about it again.

Here is the link:
    United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Very good post Rocket57, I was on the same boat as you. Once I found out about this I decided to get the LTCH so that there would be no doubt.

I did find an interesting Federal Law that does allow you to transport your firearm, but just the thought of getting arrested and having to show up in court with a lawyer is enough for me to pay the $125 and never have to worry about it again.

Here is the link:
    United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

The Federal Peaceable Journey law covers interstate transport only and does not protect you when driving to/from the range.

I highly recommend that ALL new gun owners take (at a minimum) the NRA Basic Handgun course. In fact, take as much training as you can afford. They should also pick up (and read!) Bryan Ciyou's Indiana Firearms Law which discusses all of Indiana's gun laws in detail.

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    The Federal Peaceable Journey law covers interstate transport only and does not protect you when driving to/from the range.

I highly recommend that ALL new gun owners take (at a minimum) the NRA Basic Handgun course. In fact, take as much training as you can afford. They should also pick up (and read!) Bryan Ciyou's Indiana Firearms Law which discusses all of Indiana's gun laws in detail.

Thanks for the book info and for clarification. To eliminate all problems, I will not be transporting my handgun until I get my LTCH.

Here is a link to it.

Indiana Gun Laws | Indiana Firearm Laws | Reference Manual

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I owned my handgun for 6 years before deciding to get my LTCH last year. It wasn't until I found :ingo:that I discovered carrying a handgun in the car was illegal. Anytime I would get a chance I would head over to a friends house to shoot during those 6 years and now looking back I guess I'm lucky. Was even pulled over once with it in the car, luckily I said I didn't have any weapons on me. Hey it was kinda true, the gun was in the back inside a duffel bag. :):

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I often wonder when I go to the indoor range and see people there how many actually have an LTCH. My guess is about half

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The most common reaction I get when I tell people that is disbelief, along with the phrase "That can't possibly be true. That's dumb and makes no sense." Which tells me they have no experience with your average lawmaker.

Top Bottom