• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That poor... woman's(?) back...

Ice rabbit thing. Also, apparently that screenshot abused some camera angles to make it look like that... so the stuff they were whining about was, of course, a semi-modified pic.

Also, unrelated:

bnLWAxv.jpg

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ice rabbit thing. Also, apparently that screenshot abused some camera angles to make it look like that... so the stuff they were whining about was, of course, a semi-modified pic.

Also, unrelated:

bnLWAxv.jpg

Oh...that's laugh-out-loud funny.

I have that same PC (Dual G5) holding up my wi-fi router and cable modem. I have thought about gutting it and building a gaming PC in the case, but it still boots and loads HTML websites and I can't bring myself to destroy the hardware. I shudder when I think how much that cost new.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So the big reveals at The Game Awards last night: Soul Calibur 6, Bayonetta 3, a long trailer for Death Stranding (Guillermo del Toro, Norman Reedus, Hideo Kojima).

Breath of the Wild won Game of the Year.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I was going to post this today.

My son is reading the book and is REALLY excited about it. Both the book, and the movie. I guess it is really good, and full of 1980s pop culture references.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    GAH, this might be the deal that makes me get it...

HTC Vive with Deluxe Audio Band ($100) and $100 Amazon gift card... $600. That's a really, really good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Reality-System-Deluxe-Audio-Amazon/dp/B077YC893R

I have the Vive, its a lot of fun. Nothing like putting people who are afraid of heights on the top of skyscrapers. Fallout comes out for VR today too.

Just be sure your video card can handle it. You'd need a GTX 1070 at a minimum I would say.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the Vive, its a lot of fun. Nothing like putting people who are afraid of heights on the top of skyscrapers. Fallout comes out for VR today too.

Just be sure your video card can handle it. You'd need a GTX 1070 at a minimum I would say.

Someone says Fallout comes with the Vive, too. That's a lot of value.

How is it for just sitting at your desk playing stuff? Like VR experience sorts of games, not necessarily using the room function?

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Someone says Fallout comes with the Vive, too. That's a lot of value.

How is it for just sitting at your desk playing stuff? Like VR experience sorts of games, not necessarily using the room function?

I don't do much sitting VR with it. People who play Elite Dangerous or War Thunder probably do, but I don't play those games much. The racing sim games too are probably the most popular sitting VR games. There are some neat virtual desktop apps, but the HMD really needs a higher resolution for that to be useful. Signs of things to come though.

Onward is probably one of the best VR games I've played. Military sim multiplayer game. There are tons of scary games to scare your friends with.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Still running a 970, should be able to play most stuff. Did some Vive on a friend's PC a while back, he's running a 970 as well.

Planning a new PC build in 2018 anyway.

I run everything fine currently on a 1080. Just keep in mind you can't SLI the VR games when you plan a new system.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    My gaming rig definitely couldn't handle it. I built it in early 2014 and most of the computer is okay but the GPU is only a GTX 760. I would like to build a new computer in the next couple of years but I would be fine just buying a GPU since I game on console more than PC usually. If I ever decide to sell my game collection I'll for sure just emulate everything and stick to my PC though.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    I just upgraded to an I7-7700k after the black friday deals. Newegg had some good offers on the CPU, Mobo, and Ram. I can't tell a huge difference between the I5-6500 and I7-7700k for VR. But most of VR is hitting the GPU.

GPU market has been held higher over recent months due to the crypto mining. 1070s were a really efficient balance of power and output for Ethereum this summer. I expect after the next Nvidia card is announced the 1080 and 1070 prices will come down some.

Top Bottom