Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    52840139_10214396318284886_3203839255407230976_n.jpg

I get it. College isn't for everyone. There are a lot of great jobs in the skilled trades. High levels of debt for a degree that doesn't have a discernible employment rate- stupid. No argument there at all.

...all I know is that every college graduate is unemployed, shiftless, arrogant and deep in debt. It's kind of a false dichotomy. We need people doing all sorts of jobs and it's not really necessary to attack one path to explain why another path is a good one...but whatever makes people feel superior, I guess....like "Jim".

What if the left side was:

1931.jpg

Bachelor Degree in Petroleum Engineering
    Worked 3 jobs and joined the National Guard to avoid debt
    Has several employers offering him $95,000+ to start right out of college for a 40 hour week
    Worked inside during the polar vortex

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Brand new belt, strap, helmet, jeans, shirt, gloves and come along.

Was that from a Joe Donnelly re-election commercial?

Not to mention that Jim's obviously using his hand to cover up the cap that's still on his bottle of JD, hiding the fact that he ain't drinking.

Saw David Lee Roth do the same thing on stage at a Van Halen concert back in the '80s.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not to mention that Jim's obviously using his hand to cover up the cap that's still on his bottle of JD, hiding the fact that he ain't drinking.

Saw David Lee Roth do the same thing on stage at a Van Halen concert back in the '80s.

/r/Woosh.

db2d92b99b85aba2290d4d0b5917feef.gif

I can't believe INGO is taking that one picture so seriously.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A college degree can be a wonderful thing.
    The problem is treating college as four years, or more, of partying and taking courses that give good grades for having liberal opinions and ending up like this:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's been a while.... but are specific textbooks absolutely required to be purchased from the school bookstore these days at those prices?

I mean, had I known then what I know now, I'd just pirate all the books required. Could they do anything about that?

There were college books we bought that were "required" that we never opened or touched.

Just seems like a scam

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    It's been a while.... but are specific textbooks absolutely required to be purchased from the school bookstore these days at those prices?

I mean, had I known then what I know now, I'd just pirate all the books required. Could they do anything about that?

There were college books we bought that were "required" that we never opened or touched.

Just seems like a scam

It is a scam. Quite a few of the classes I took require a book written by the professor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Just seems like a scam

I'm just assuming.

Both of my kids in college have "textbooks included", though they are only available electronically. "Consumables" for some specific classes were extra, but not $600 for a single class. $50, maybe, and only one or two classes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sad but true.

FTR, I remember there was one group project where I was "that guy that didn't contribute".

I don't feel bad about it.

I was that guy at the first group meeting who looked at everyone else and told them to shut-up, leave me alone, don't try to get involved and wait for your "A" to arrive. I mean, it's not like I'm a egomaniacal control freak or anything. I would have been just fine with you in my group.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was that guy at the first group meeting who looked at everyone else and told them to shut-up, leave me alone, don't try to get involved and wait for your "A" to arrive. I mean, it's not like I'm a egomaniacal control freak or anything. I would have been just fine with you in my group.

In another class, I was that guy, too.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My wife's friend waited until the last week of classes and bought all her books then while everyone else was selling them back (for a pittance), read all that was needed during finals week, and sold the books back without losing hardly any money.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You're the best group project group member ever!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom