The fail is strong with this misguided gun buyback program.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Anonymous gun buyback program runs out of money and requires ID. Niiiice

Suffolk runs out of cash for gun buyback program -- Newsday.com

BY ANN GIVENS
    ann.givens@newsday.com
    8:28 PM EST, December 23, 2008
    Mark DeAngelis heard that Suffolk County was giving people $200 gift cards to turn in illegal handguns last weekend, so he looked behind a rafter in a warehouse he rents and found a revolver he stashed there 20 years ago, he said.
    He called Suffolk's Third Precinct in Bay Shore, confirmed that they were still doing the program and then drove there and turned over the gun, he said.
    But after he handed the gun to the officer, he said he got bad news: There was no money left.
    "He basically said, 'You just gave me an illegal handgun. We're out of money. Do you have a problem with that?' " said DeAngelis, 43, of Patchogue, who said he bought the gun to get it out of the hands of a man he considered dangerous.
    "He said he would give me a receipt if I went in the back and showed him some ID," DeAngelis said. "I just walked out. I thought the whole point was that the program was supposed to be anonymous."
    Lt. Bob Donohue, commanding officer of the department's Community Outreach Bureau, said it's true that the department burned through the $15,000 in state grants it had set aside for the buy back program this weekend after about 95 guns were turned in - more than they ever expected. But he said people do not need to give their names to officers to get a receipt. If officers asked anyone for ID or a phone number, it was probably just so they could call them to let them know when additional gift cards have come in, he said.
    He said additional Visa gift cards will be ordered tomorrow and should be in within about a week.
    But DeAngelis wasn't the only person who said he was asked to identify himself.
    A 42-year-old Port Jefferson Station woman, who asked that her name not be used for fear of repercussions, said she turned in seven illegal guns that had belonged to her father, who passed away 13 years ago. She said she balked when she was asked for her name and phone number.
    "How is that anonymous?" she asked. "Anonymous is not 'Give us your name and number and in two weeks you'll get your gift card.' "
    Nassau, which also held a gun buyback this weekend, also ran out of money after more than 400 people brought in illegal guns. After the cash they had on hand was gone, church officials who coordinated the program gave people anonymous vouchers that they can bring back this weekend for cash.
    Donohue said Suffolk ran out of money by Sunday, but continued writing receipts through Tuesday. He said as of Tuesday night, people turning in illegal guns would not be given gift cards or get their guns back.
    "If they hand us an illegal handgun and we have no money, we can't give back the gun," he said.
    Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is a dumb program...If I were in the area, I'd buy up a bunch of cheap Hi-points and cash them in to make a decent profit :D

You missed the part where they ran out of money but didn't tell you until after you gave them the guns.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wonder how many of them were actually illegal (unless it's a no guns county to begin with)..

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    That is what I kept thinking. Unless you can't own a gun period, then exactly zero percent of the firearms that these programs have ever gotten are "illegal" guns off the street. You ever see the people turning in these guns? Almost all of them are older people who are handing in daddy's shotgun, or the extra revolver that they bought legally for ten bucks back in 1947, or sadly, the WWI, WWII, Vietnam etc. bring back that their 45 year old son never knew he had until he passed away last year and they don't know what else do do with it and the anti-gun propaganda makes him think it is an "illegal" firearm.

As an aside, a friend in my AF unit was with the 2nd ACR from the border to Baghdad this last time around. When he finally got to a base that was a former Iraqi Army training academy, they found a room full of old enfields, mosins, mausers, etc. To my friends dismay they were all stockpiled and burned like a bonfire by the US Army.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    As an aside, a friend in my AF unit was with the 2nd ACR from the border to Baghdad this last time around. When he finally got to a base that was a former Iraqi Army training academy, they found a room full of old enfields, mosins, mausers, etc. To my friends dismay they were all stockpiled and burned like a bonfire by the US Army.

How sad...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The NRA had an article on this and bascially what is occuring is some gun dealers are turning in a ton of their own/damaged guns to get the cash instead. This would be an ideal place to wait outside and scope out what people are bringing in and buy it before they turn it over. No such thing as a gun buyback program. The autorities NEVER owed those guns so they can't byback something that was not theirs to begin with!!

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Wish they'd have one here. I'd turn in a bunch of $70 nagant revolvers for $200 each.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sounds bad, but I always hope one of these situations occurs in Indy. Not only will greed fuel the ignorant to turn in community guns or garbage pieces, it also gives me reason to turn in an old Astra Constable with hammer follow I need to get rid of. :D

Also, turn in those Nagant pistols and Mosins for the higher loot. That will increase the value of the existing ones out there! :D

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds bad, but I always hope one of these situations occurs in Indy. Not only will greed fuel the ignorant to turn in community guns or garbage pieces, it also gives me reason to turn in an old Astra Constable with hammer follow I need to get rid of. :D

Also, turn in those Nagant pistols and Mosins for the higher loot. That will increase the value of the existing ones out there! :D

Such a "buy back" (and, though I'm not the first to say this, how can you buy something "back" that you never owned in the first place?) program would at least give me something to do with the old Jennings J22 that I've had for like forever.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Yeah, I've got a Phoenix Arms .25 that would be a better potato masher than self defense weapon. I would definitely take $200, especially for a Visa gift card that can be spent anyhwere (Plainfield Shooting Supply).

Top Bottom