• Status
    Not open for further replies.

weevilbasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Mine is a '13 Legacy. It just went over 100k miles. I got one with most of the bells and whistles because I intended to drive it until it died. I have no complaints about this car.

I got mine used 6 years ago it’s an 02 wrx. 160k mechanically still running strong but rear sway bar mount broke a couple months ago and I’ve just noticed one of my valve covers is leaking and I need a LOT of body work due to rust. But I work on cars all day so I would rather spend time shooting guns than fixing my car on the weekends

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Well crap. Removing that corrupted file fried my laptop. Crap crap crap.

Re-install Windows? Though support for Windows 7 ends pretty soon.

My laptop is now in its 6th year, and going strong. My desktop is 5 years old, and needs to be replaced. It all depends on what you do with them. The 5 year old desktop is used for gaming, and needs updates, it is getting slow. The laptop is used mainly for surfing the Internet, some consulting and virtual system testing. So it still runs fine for that.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Why can’t it be both?

Purple means a statement made in jest, humor, not literally, etc.

This thread definitely has a moving topic as its only topic and I am just as guilty as moving the topic around as anyone.

Plus, at least one of you Subaru owners gave me crap when I bought a Jeep GC over a Subaru. I sorta feel left out of the club now....

weevilbasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Purple means a statement made in jest, humor, not literally, etc.

This thread definitely has a moving topic as its only topic and I am just as guilty as moving the topic around as anyone.

Plus, at least one of you Subaru owners gave me crap when I bought a Jeep GC over a Subaru. I sorta feel left out of the club now....

Well if you ever want real awd you can always join the subie club! I worked at a Chrysler dealer when I got my Subaru and one of the owners was pissed that I didn’t buy a Chrysler product. Imagine how butt hurt he got when I told him I got a better deal at a different dealership! But for real if I was going to get a Chrysler it would be the GC

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Well if you ever want real awd you can always join the subie club! I worked at a Chrysler dealer when I got my Subaru and one of the owners was pissed that I didn’t buy a Chrysler product. Imagine how butt hurt he got when I told him I got a better deal at a different dealership! But for real if I was going to get a Chrysler it would be the GC

If you want real 4WD, you can borrow my jeep. :):

I looked at two local Jeep dealerships at the essentially the same vehicle (miles years options etc) and the price difference was dramatic.

I can't say that the Jeep will be a favorite vehicle but it meets my needs well and hit a price point when I was needing a vehicle NOW as my other one had died.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well crap. Removing that corrupted file fried my laptop. Crap crap crap.

True but considering the unit is 10 years old and on Windows 7 I am rally OK with it.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode or possibly a recovery mode? Might be able to fix it up.

That said, as others pointed out, Windows 7 is done in a few months (no security updates after January 2020).

Average lifespan for a laptop is 3 - 5 years. You have gotten more than your monies worth out of this one. Now tell us what you mean by fried? Oh one last thing when you look for a replacement look at business class machines not consumer models.

I personally look for something with a decent sized Solid State Drive, and a good amount of memory (12GB or more, preferring 16GB). That should last you a good amount of time. I would not buy anything with a spinning HDD in it anymore.

weevilbasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2019
    Indianapolis
    If you want real 4WD, you can borrow my jeep. :):

I looked at two local Jeep dealerships at the essentially the same vehicle (miles years options etc) and the price difference was dramatic.

I can't say that the Jeep will be a favorite vehicle but it meets my needs well and hit a price point when I was needing a vehicle NOW as my other one had died.

They aren’t bad But having driven the Chrysler’s and my subaru through different weather my subaru always felt more sure footed. Really all of them are ok in the snow except the lx cars (charger challenger 300) worst cars I have ever driven in the snow fun as hell on dry pavement though!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Have you tried to boot into safe mode or possibly a recovery mode? Might be able to fix it up.

That said, as others pointed out, Windows 7 is done in a few months (no security updates after January 2020).

I personally look for something with a decent sized Solid State Drive, and a good amount of memory (12GB or more, preferring 16GB). That should last you a good amount of time. I would not buy anything with a spinning HDD in it anymore.

Really? My desktop is running 7. It’s an HP all in one that I purchased 7/14/2009. Great....

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Really? My desktop is running 7. It’s an HP all in one that I purchased 7/14/2009. Great....

You could have likely upgraded to Win 10 for free... might still be able to, though the official free upgrade period is long gone, as I just upgraded my dad's machine when I went to FL over the summer for free.

And yeah, even if you upgrade it to Win 10, it's still time to upgrade if your laptop is 10 years old.

I'd think you can write it off as a business expense...

Here's the lifecycle info...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows 7 Service Pack 1

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My IT buddy got it up and running for me. He was still laughing when he left.
    I m back to missing E's and A's while typing. Old girl is worn out.

I had to edit this post.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My IT buddy got it up and running for me. He was still laughing when he left.
    I m back to missing E's and A's while typing. Old girl is worn out.

I had to edit this post.

Probably time to get a new one anyway. You guys would be surprised how much better some of these newer machines run than some of the dinosaurs. And I get it, I'm typing this on an older desktop I have had for years (though I put more memory in it and it's running the latest build of Win 10), but my laptops are newer machines running good hardware, with SSDs and a good amount of memory. Anything less gets frustrating these days with what some of these applications require for resources.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They aren’t bad But having driven the Chrysler’s and my subaru through different weather my subaru always felt more sure footed. Really all of them are ok in the snow except the lx cars (charger challenger 300) worst cars I have ever driven in the snow fun as hell on dry pavement though!

They aren’t the worst cars in the snow. The 300C wasn’t great, but not any worse than any 2WD truck I’ve experienced. :):

The VW is my first vehicle with a full time AWD system (actually the only time I’ve ever owned a 4wd/AWD and it was a forced option). I expect the factory no season tires will still disappoint, but marginally less so than on a 2WD. The question will be how long into the winter I make before snow tires are bought.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    You could have likely upgraded to Win 10 for free... might still be able to, though the official free upgrade period is long gone, as I just upgraded my dad's machine when I went to FL over the summer for free.

And yeah, even if you upgrade it to Win 10, it's still time to upgrade if your laptop is 10 years old.

I'd think you can write it off as a business expense...

Here's the lifecycle info...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Yep. It’s a business expense. It’s gotten to the point where it has an overheating issue when it gets slightly dirty. The fans run all the time, even after I pull it apart and clean it. Replaced them once. It’s just old but I have ammo to buy. Maybe a milsurp or two.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    For the ignorant among us, how do you tell the difference?

Ok I'll talk about HP's because that is what I have the most experience with. You are looking for an Elitlebook or a Probook. You are not looking for a Pavillion. I don't buy new I tend to about 1 gen behind what is most current. The laptop I currently use is an HP Elitebook Folio 8490m. I bought from Tiger Direct and paid right at $400. It's pretty much state of the art from about 2- 3 years ago. Windows 10 Pro and enough power to do everthing I need.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Well just got back from the laundromat the washer died in the middle of a load. Of course it had to be fairly heavy items. Have a replacement pump coming from Amazon.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Ok I'll talk about HP's because that is what I have the most experience with. You are looking for an Elitlebook or a Probook. You are not looking for a Pavillion. I don't buy new I tend to about 1 gen behind what is most current. The laptop I currently use is an HP Elitebook Folio 8490m. I bought from Tiger Direct and paid right at $400. It's pretty much state of the art from about 2- 3 years ago. Windows 10 Pro and enough power to do everthing I need.

Tiger Direct, huh? Noted for future reference...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom