The CZickness XLVI...What's next my friends.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The BF 109 had 30 mm that was fitted in the propeller hub. A reliable design with a powerful payload the gun suffered from a low rate of fire and problems increasing the muzzle velocity. Pilots compensated by using it at close range where it was very effective. As the war progressed German fighters had additional armament fitted increasing weight, which also drove increasing engine power, with additional weight. When the 109G arrives the aircraft has become almost dangerous to land, requiring full power just to fly at landing speed with the flaps extended.
    I was sure it was a 20mm Hub mount.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ll share some photos I took last month. We were trying to catch FIFI, the B-29. But it was grounded in Cincy for repairs. Did catch a couple others though. B-24, P-51, T-6 and one I didn’t get the model on…

View attachment 217108

View attachment 217109

View attachment 217110

The twin tail bird is a Lockheed PV2 Harpoon. It was a workhorse medium bomber/patrol plane that the Nave used. They saw a lot of combat in the northern end of the Pacific war. It was developed from the Lockheed Lodestar passenger plane

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

20mm was the common hub mounted cannon but the late war bf109K-4 used a 30mm to improve knock down power against 4 engine bombers. As LE says, the 30mm was not well suited for the role with low velocity and a lower rate of fire. But, if it could get close to a B17, it could chew it up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

They added 20 mm on the wings as time went on. American bomber crews faced a pile of firepower on those fighters but they did reduce their performance. Mustangs ate up german fighters configured to shoot down bombers.

I'll need to consult my books to be sure of the nose cannon.

Consulting Heinz Nowarra, Mouse is correct the nose cannon was a 20 mm designated MG/FF. The Mk 108 30 mm comes much later as 88 posted.

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Went to a buddys place yesterday to do a comparison between his Sig P210 and my CZ CTS, took my TSO just for chits and gigs. Have to say after shooting them all, the CTS came out on top by the narrowest of margins. They all shot lights out but the CTS was the most comfortable in the hand. The TSO had the best trigger of them all, thanks to the Wizard. I can say I liked the P210 but not enough for one to join the herd. I'll happily stick with my CZs.

CZ my brother CZickos :rockwoot:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Went to a buddys place yesterday to do a comparison between his Sig P210 and my CZ CTS, took my TSO just for chits and gigs. Have to say after shooting them all, the CTS came out on top by the narrowest of margins. They all shot lights out but the CTS was the most comfortable in the hand. The TSO had the best trigger of them all, thanks to the Wizard. I can say I liked the P210 but not enough for one to join the herd. I'll happily stick with my CZs.

CZ my brother CZickos :rockwoot:
    The CZ CTS might be the best CZ I've shot (in my heavily biased opinion).

1660314785914.png

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So the Toranado/Airstream is for sale! $50k.

Screenshot_20220811-213117.png

One on my son's robotics team teammates lives in Union, MI. The guy selling it live a few doors down. The mom says she went over to look inside and it was cool. All very old but still cool.

My dad stopped and took the picture above. He said the transition from the fender to the airstream is really rough. But other than that, it's in good shape.

Screenshot_20220812-105421.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom