The CZickness XLVI...What's next my friends.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yeah I got that visual of a 109 pilot coming in head on as was the previous practice and being conscious just long enough to watch his airframe disintegrated around him and his choice of approach might not have been a given as to painting another light bomber on his fuselage for bragging rights.
    It was a 1st draw contest as the nose mounted 20mm in the 109 would shred metal all the way out the tail of the bomber.
    Viscous air combat. Very personal.

Some 109s mounted a 30mm in the nose. It would be an interesting dual between the two of them. A dual between the 109 and an A26 probably did happen at some point. Late model A26s with gun noses mounted 8 fifties in the nose and another 6 in the wings. It also flew more like a fighter than a bomber.
    02514c2558928428f9fab7edf21c9ebe.jpg

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Don’t worry MM. This one does not hold a candle to your stainless P220. This is just a run of the mill Legion.
    MM is a great guy!! I'm thinking he has been paying attention to Bandit and sneakingly becoming an influencer. That picture had me looking at 220's before I caught on. DD already got me earlier this week.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The BF 109 had 30 mm that was fitted in the propeller hub. A reliable design with a powerful payload the gun suffered from a low rate of fire and problems increasing the muzzle velocity. Pilots compensated by using it at close range where it was very effective. As the war progressed German fighters had additional armament fitted increasing weight, which also drove increasing engine power, with additional weight. When the 109G arrives the aircraft has become almost dangerous to land, requiring full power just to fly at landing speed with the flaps extended.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The BF 109 had 30 mm that was fitted in the propeller hub. A reliable design with a powerful payload the gun suffered from a low rate of fire and problems increasing the muzzle velocity. Pilots compensated by using it at close range where it was very effective. As the war progressed German fighters had additional armament fitted increasing weight, which also drove increasing engine power, with additional weight. When the 109G arrives the aircraft has become almost dangerous to land, requiring full power just to fly at landing speed with the flaps extended.
    The 109K was a handful but with methanol injection, had some serious power. The Czechs built some of their own 109s after the war but had to use Jumo engines built for bombers. They were nicknamed 'Mule' for good reason.

One of the Black Sheep aces flew Czech Avia S199s for Isreal after the war. Chris Mcgee I think.

f032bf1adb77896f39c0fc41f2f2e8ad.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'd have to place the F4U Corsair right up there with them. Navy you know:) It was cool to see them at Mt Comfort when they had several in attendance one year. (6 I think but can't remember what year.)
    To me the Corsair is the most beautiful classic fighter of them all. I got to witness a Navy Heritage flight this year and it was awesome. Fort Wayne air show, our home is only a couple miles from the airport and they were flying over us all week.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    @RustyHornet 's place of work has/had a really cool one.
    Still here. Well it’s around. Not in our shop anymore, but it’s close by. Very cool rigs, I happen to know of one for sale that’s still all original and in good shape. Been sitting a couple years now. But it was used regularly up till then. They drive like a car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some 109s mounted a 30mm in the nose. It would be an interesting dual between the two of them. A dual between the 109 and an A26 probably did happen at some point. Late model A26s with gun noses mounted 8 fifties in the nose and another 6 in the wings. It also flew more like a fighter than a bomber.
    02514c2558928428f9fab7edf21c9ebe.jpg
    Absolutely. Look at the power over wing mass. Can anybody relate to the mosquito.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom