The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Purdue-University-logo.png

FINAL FOUR BOUND!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Squirrels moved back into the back yard, chased them out but found they have a house in a close by dead tree. They chattered at me from the holes in the tree so I got the tractor out and pushed over the tree and a few more like it in that area. The lazy bobcat and the crapping owl should start picking them off now.

Apex predators really should be able to get the job done without my help, but things aren't what they used to be.;)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    @T_DOGG, I noticed the small parts took the dark bluing "better". I wonder if the difference is a more polished surface versus the blasted surface.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    @T_DOGG, I noticed the small parts took the dark bluing "better". I wonder if the difference is a more polished surface versus the blasted surface.
    All parts were blasted the same way with 150 grit garnet. I was talking with B2V about this today and I think it has to do with metallurgy and the temperature the parts were at when the solution gets applied. The parts get heated in an oven the same, but while putting coats of the solution on the part will cool down. The instructions tell you to warm the parts back up with a propane torch. Small parts probably heat up more evenly and the larger parts not so much. Also, the amount of solution seems to matter, thick vs thin coats.

Long story short, there's definitely more science and technique than what appears to the eye.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    All parts were blasted the same way with 150 grit garnet. I was talking with B2V about this today and I think it has to do with metallurgy and the temperature the parts were at when the solution gets applied. The parts get heated in an oven the same, but while putting coats of the solution on the part will cool down. The instructions tell you to warm the parts back up with a propane torch. Small parts probably heat up more evenly and the larger parts not so much. Also, the amount of solution seems to matter, thick vs thin coats.

Long story short, there's definitely more science and technique than what appears to the eye.
    I thought you were giving them a bath. I've gotten better results than you had with cold blue. Fresh cotton ball with every stroke to the barrel on a 10/22 bbl many years ago. Hand sanded to 2000 grit wet/dry. Hard to do that on a slide as complicated as you were working with. Pics are gone but it really looked good after several treatments.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I thought you were giving them a bath. I've gotten better results than you had with cold blue. Fresh cotton ball with every stroke to the barrel on a 10/22 bbl many years ago. Hand sanded to 2000 grit wet/dry. Hard to do that on a slide as complicated as you were working with. Pics are gone but it really looked good after several treatments.
    They get heated, solution applied, then put in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. The water converts the red/brown rust to black.

I've also gotten better results with cold blue. The appearance is only one part of the equation though, because cold bluing does not have good durability when handled repeatedly, especially with sweaty hands. I've had good luck with cold bluing in low traffic areas, high traffic areas it wears off quickly.

This surface finish that is result of the rust bluing is hard and slick, like how G**** used to have their slides on some of the gen3 and gen4 guns.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    They get heated, solution applied, then put in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. The water converts the red/brown rust to black.

I've also gotten better results with cold blue. The appearance is only one part of the equation though, because cold bluing does not have good durability when handled repeatedly, especially with sweaty hands. I've had good luck with cold bluing in low traffic areas, high traffic areas it wears off quickly.

This surface finish that is result of the rust bluing is hard and slick, like how G**** used to have their slides on some of the gen3 and gen4 guns.
    Gotcha! Thnx for the explanation of differences.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I just used some cold blue on a Stevens 87T a few weeks ago. Had some rust pitting on the barrel that I cleaned up and then applied cold blue with 0000 steel wool. Turned out pretty nice. Ordered the missing inner mag tube today.

Top Bottom