The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Morning Folks

My failure at rust bluing the 2011 guns now has me down the path of considering spending $1k to get setup for cerakote. What is wrong with me? Don't answer that....
    I really like the browner finish on the one with the purple grip. It might need the high points slightly buffed/worn to complete the battle worn patina look that's popular today.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I really like the browner finish on the one with the purple grip. It might need the high points slightly buffed/worn to complete the battle worn patina look that's popular today.
    I thought about taking 0000 steel wool and WD-40 to both guns and see if it looks any better. I wasn't going for a battle worn look or patina look though. I wanted grey, dark blue or black. After an estimated 30-40 hours of time into rust bluing, the results were not what I expected.

Not when my test piece looked like this.

1000005867.jpg

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I know it wasn't the look you were going for but I still like it. I would cerakote the purple grip module though.

This is from a guy that browned the second knife I made back in the day and likes the browned muzzle loaders.

20240308_130643.jpg

The paper micarta grip panels have yellowed over the decades. They were originally closer to an ivory color.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm curious. You more partial to the purple grip gun than the STI?
    Yes. It's dual caliber (.357Sig and 10mm) and the one I originally sought to build. The STI is nice, but technically a duplicate (10mm) and pretty much an impulse buy at the time. I'd like to recoup some funds and purchase a PCC to have a suppressor host for my Sig SRD45 can. Looking at Century AP5-P or MPX Copperhead-K currently.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Understood. Didn't even make your wallet Grimace a little bit.

Seriously, both look like great guns. I was just curious on why you favored one over the other, which you answered.
    I like the way "The Phantom Grimace" came out in regards to the slide and frame machining designs I did. The dual caliber is also nice to have.

Top Bottom