The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honest question. Be brutally honest. From those that know me and have seen my work. Do you guys think I could make a living doing gunsmithing (not necessarily ALL guns, but maybe specialize in say 1911 and 2011 guns) and also doing metal art with some wood burning art mixed in? I'm at a real crossroads right now in my life and in my soul I feel like I should follow my passion. For those that know me, I take my work very seriously and this is the biggest decision I've ever came across. You can PM me if you don't want to reply publicly.

Thanks
    How reliable is your Sugar Momma's income and how good are the benefits? Could you make it on her income and benefits alone and how willing is she to live the reduced lifestyle that may be needed?

How much do you need your income and how willing is she to feel some pain for you to go after what you want?

Can you readily make the investments (without your primary job) necessary for the business for startup (insurance, equipment, advertising, website, licenses/certifications, safes, etc) to drive business and to replace vital machinery that your new profession requires should it decide to take a dump? How able are you to take a loss on a particular piece of work that doesn't go as planned?

How willing are you to work for less than you think (each and every) job is worth until you build up clientele, etc?

The above questions are just off the top of my head, and only you can provide the answers on some of that to yourself.

Turning something you love into how you make your living can be a dream and a curse. Some folks would say jump in without a net, it will force you to make it or break it. I'm not that person. I consider luck the intersection of opportunity and preparedness.

Notice I didn't delve into the skills aspect as I think you have those and are developing them further every day.

In no way trying to be negative, and only you and your family can decide what works for you.

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I saw it Sunday evening. If it wasn’t for the ria tac ultra I would have bought the pcr and picked up yesterday. I am really enjoying the almost 2011 though. Hoping to bead blast some of the small parts to give it a two tone look. Thinking magwell slide stop trigger and safeties.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I saw it Sunday evening. If it wasn’t for the ria tac ultra I would have bought the pcr and picked up yesterday. I am really enjoying the almost 2011 though. Hoping to bead blast some of the small parts to give it a two tone look. Thinking magwell slide stop trigger and safeties.
    You must have missed this post from 1/26

Post in thread 'The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…'
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...ar-tungsten-grey-that-is….545951/post-9823798

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How reliable is your Sugar Momma's income and how good are the benefits? Could you make it on her income and benefits alone and how willing is she to live the reduced lifestyle that may be needed?

How much do you need your income and how willing is she to feel some pain for you to go after what you want?

Can you readily make the investments (without your primary job) necessary for the business for startup (insurance, equipment, advertising, website, licenses/certifications, safes, etc) to drive business and to replace vital machinery that your new profession requires should it decide to take a dump? How able are you to take a loss on a particular piece of work that doesn't go as planned?

How willing are you to work for less than you think (each and every) job is worth until you build up clientele, etc?

The above questions are just off the top of my head, and only you can provide the answers on some of that to yourself.

Turning something you love into how you make your living can be a dream and a curse. Some folks would say jump in without a net, it will force you to make it or break it. I'm not that person. I consider luck the intersection of opportunity and preparedness.

Notice I didn't delve into the skills aspect as I think you have those and are developing them further every day.

In no way trying to be negative, and only you and your family can decide what works for you.

All good questions.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Honest question. Be brutally honest. From those that know me and have seen my work. Do you guys think I could make a living doing gunsmithing (not necessarily ALL guns, but maybe specialize in say 1911 and 2011 guns) and also doing metal art with some wood burning art mixed in? I'm at a real crossroads right now in my life and in my soul I feel like I should follow my passion. For those that know me, I take my work very seriously and this is the biggest decision I've ever came across. You can PM me if you don't want to reply publicly.

Thanks

For gun smith work I would look for what the demand is locally, and what others locally are doing. Check out the age of your competition as well which gives you an idea of what the demand will be in the near future.

You did good work on the Richards sight, and that's something not everybody does.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Got an appt to see the Phys Assistant tomorrow morning at the spine dr. Unfortunately doesn't sound like I'll be getting an injection tomorrow. Pain down the right leg came back in the last few days. Had some pain down the left side leading into last week and got them to call in some oral steroids, which helped with the left side, as I had to make an unplanned trip for some family medical concerns. But then beginning of this week it started down the right side. If this keeps up, I won't be making it to FNS this week.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Got an appt to see the Phys Assistant tomorrow morning at the spine dr. Unfortunately doesn't sound like I'll be getting an injection tomorrow. Pain down the right leg came back in the last few days. Had some pain down the left side leading into last week and got them to call in some oral steroids, which helped with the left side, as I had to make an unplanned trip for some family medical concerns. But then beginning of this week it started down the right side. If this keeps up, I won't be making it to FNS this week.
    BAD!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    All good advice for @T-DOGG and can't really add much beyond my spending a lifetime self-employed.

I am confident, there exists a demand for general gunsmith skills in our area. Would have to put pen to paper and analyze what the P&L Statement would look like. More people needs sights installed, barrels threaded, optics cuts, etc. than 2011s built or customized BUT that small stuff keeps the lights on. Small repairs, troubleshooting, restoration projects - all are needed. A good marketing plan could capture that market. There is a living to be made there. Easy money? Nope - never is.

EDIT: I might suggest working backwards. What Average Annual Income over the next decade do you need to net? Start adding in taxes, benefits, expenses, capital expenditures, etc. to get a gross annual revenue and then see what work is needed to supply that degree of sales. Don't forget to figure your time for time/expense for accounting, marketing, record-keeping etc.

Art. Yea. We've talk about this off line. My mother was a professional artist. Did she make money? Sure. Earn a consistent living? Nope. I have less insight about this businesses. The key to her art business was her second husband was a lawyer...last show she did in 2023 she sold several thousand dollars worth of art in two nights. My point? Don't have one....

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Dang ..... sorry that it's flared-up again.
    I could be wrong (@Born2vette will know), but every time they stuck needles in my spine, it was accomplished via a M.D..
    Might be a requirement ?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I could be wrong (@Born2vette will know), but every time they stuck needles in my spine, it was accomplished via a M.D..
    Might be a requirement ?
    There is nothing in Indiana prohibiting a NP or PA from doing it and nurse anesthetists do it in the OB setting all the time (not much different from doing an epidural). But I would never attempt it, however a NP or PA that works in a spinal practice may have the specific training to do it. I did joint injections and specialized cardiac procedures that at many places would only be done by physicians.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Might be a requirement ?
    Yeah, it's been the Dr that's done it in the past, along with having someone do some imaging while they are doing it. I just hope I'm not going in for a consult that doesn't go anywhere as I'm in some serious pain. They said Dr was tied up tomorrow afternoon with a meeting and I'm not sure if he's not there on Fridays, booked up or what. I doubt they are going to give me an oral steroid as I just did a round of that, and while it helped my left side, the right kicked in just after.

We'll see. Been a rough couple of weeks on the personal front for other reasons , and just hoping for something that will provide some relief in the near term. I really was looking forward to getting out to FNS this week, but I can't see being able to be on my feet for it if something doesn't change.

That said I'm pretty happy the Spine center is just down the street a bit from me.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Yeah, it's been the Dr that's done it in the past, along with having someone do some imaging while they are doing it. I just hope I'm not going in for a consult that doesn't go anywhere as I'm in some serious pain. They said Dr was tied up tomorrow afternoon with a meeting and I'm not sure if he's not there on Fridays, booked up or what. I doubt they are going to give me an oral steroid as I just did a round of that, and while it helped my left side, the right kicked in just after.

We'll see. Been a rough couple of weeks on the personal front for other reasons , and just hoping for something that will provide some relief in the near term. I really was looking forward to getting out to FNS this week, but I can't see being able to be on my feet for it if something doesn't change.

That said I'm pretty happy the Spine center is just down the street a bit from me.
    Will add you to my prayer list for some relief tonight! Hope things improve on all fronts soon.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa

Thanks
    I think you would hafta do a ton of guns to make a living. A TON. Not to say they are "out there"

but are the numbers there.

Plus, how do you get your name out there T??

If you did a more broad focus on "most" guns (AR's & Handguns & 1911s etc) You might have the numbers of clients
    that you would need to do it all full time.

I would hope that you could - but man it would be a stretch in my mind without doing more than 1911s & 2011s.

IMO -- YMMV

Top Bottom