• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I did a review on Angie's List the other day and when they published it, they asterisked out a word I used. F****. The word was 'foist' and they *** it because they didn't know what it meant and so figured it was taboo. I called. They looked it up. They restored the letters. Certainly not a common word anymore. I am redeemed. I will not hang myself today.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Perhaps it takes a L A education to have the curiosity to look it up.....

I became a scientist, but with a heavy dose of liberal arts. Maybe we should rethink the name.....lol...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Scientists/engineers don't have the curiosity to look up information? Wow...

Better watch it. You are really starting to push the offensive generalizations here.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    As George Carlin may have said, "Sheriff, we're going to foist you, but we're going to foist you slow..."

NOTE: If you are under 45, you may not get it....

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Foist
    Sailors use it all the time. It's short for the "****ing Hoist" :):

Now why are you using it on Angie's List?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The neat thing about a "liberal arts education" is that things like reading comprehension, literature, the "classics", history, basic art and architecture....it's all available to anyone who can afford a library card and has curiosity.

.....but the next "Halo" seems to be a more popular pursuit these days.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Foist... It's "Jersey" for what comes before "second" isn't it? You know, foist, second, thoid...

That was a good one!

On the topic though, there are very valuable LA degrees, I think it can get its reputation due to many of the nonsense ones!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The neat thing about a "liberal arts education" is that things like reading comprehension, literature, the "classics", history, basic art and architecture....it's all available to anyone who can afford a library card and has curiosity.

.....but the next "Halo" seems to be a more popular pursuit these days.

You won't find many that have love for classic lit anymore. Sad.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I graduated from Manchester College (now Manchester University) which is a liberal arts school. I have an Env. Studies degree but really appreciated some of the classes I had to take outside of my major. More so than having to read some books it taught me about thinking critically and not being quick to judge. Liberal arts doesn't just mean reading classic literature and studying art. but can encompass thought processes and how to have open conversations with others who view situations differently.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I graduated from Manchester College (now Manchester University) which is a liberal arts school. I have an Env. Studies degree but really appreciated some of the classes I had to take outside of my major. More so than having to read some books it taught me about thinking critically and not being quick to judge. Liberal arts doesn't just mean reading classic literature and studying art. but can encompass thought processes and how to have open conversations with others who view situations differently.

Interesting...so all these LGBT folks that start out the conversation with the word bigot, racist, and homophobe...probably don't have a Liberal Arts degree. Right?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting...so all these LGBT folks that start out the conversation with the word bigot, racist, and homophobe...probably don't have a Liberal Arts degree. Right?

Why would that matter? They could just as easily have a degree in mathematics or computer science.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why would that matter? They could just as easily have a degree in mathematics or computer science.

I think his point was that John317 said that a liberal arts education taught people how to have open conversations with people that viewed things differently than they do. When people are starting conversations by calling the people they're conversing with bigots, racists and homophobes, that's not an "open" conversation. They have already formed their opinion of the other people and are not interested in a differing viewpoint.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think his point was that John317 said that a liberal arts education taught people how to have open conversations with people that viewed things differently than they do. When people are starting conversations by calling the people they're conversing with bigots, racists and homophobes, that's not an "open" conversation. They have already formed their opinion of the other people and are not interested in a differing viewpoint.

Oh, gotcha.

Top Bottom