• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I started carrying a Beretta Nano as a backup to my G20. It's too small for my hands with a low capacity but the damn thing shoots straight, eats junk, and fits great in an ankle holster or banded just under my left arm.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Carrying this today.
    m11a1003.jpg

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I was trained with a Sig P226 at the Farm. When I was discharged or retired, I got myself another p226 in 9mm. I can hit anything around 25 yards no problem. I also have a p229 to carry. But it's in 40 S&W

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    This is simple given your peramiters...

Semi-custom/full custom 1911 (Guncrafter, NightHawk, Wilson/Chamber,Bunker,Rogers)
    Sig p210

I would like to include a CZ Shadow or a decked out BHP, but those do not compare in terms of accuracy to the 210 or 1911.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    This is simple given your peramiters...

Semi-custom/full custom 1911 (Guncrafter, NightHawk, Wilson/Chamber,Bunker,Rogers)
    Sig p210

I would like to include a CZ Shadow or a decked out BHP, but those do not compare in terms of accuracy to the 210 or 1911.

I would politely disagree with you cundiff5535... the New Shadow2 is absolutely amazing in its accuracy. It is quickly taking the shooting sports world by storm. And much less $$ than an equivelant 1911. And its a double stack to boot! Check one out sometime! You may just own one!

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Beretta92FS, S&W 3913, SIG P225, Hk P7M8, S&W 940 & S&W 547
    No others really stand out in my mind but I'm sure there where a few others
    Best carry of any of these was the J Frame S&W 940 snubbie.
    The K Frame 547 was a great shooter as where all of them.
    The S&W 3913, SIG P225 & Hk P7M8 where flat smaller pistols that carried well though the P7 was heavy as a full size weapon.
    The M9/92FS was a pig to carry but as all of the ones mentioned where all 100% without a malfunction to ever be noted with any/all ammo ever tested.

I want another Smith 940 & will pick one up some day, Who couldn't love a Stainless J Frame 9mm Snub of course will then have Craig Spegel make me a set of grips for it.

After saying this I will have to say I have never shot a 9mm 1911 only 45acp & 10mm Delta Elites

I did have a Glock 26, 19 & 17L & saw the G19 & G26 as a carry piece many times, They are great pistols no matter what some say.

That's my evaluation of my 9mm carry weapons
    Gary/Hk

The Two in the middle where S&W 940s, Grips by Craig Spegel
    2e6c5kx.jpg

I also fit a 940-1 cylinder to a 642 making a 942
    It carried very well & kicked hard when fired
    Note the Airweight Aluminium frame

2jd49a9.jpg

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I can't tell you I don't like the Glock 19... But I'd love to get my hands on an M&P 2.0 or maybe a Canik TP9 of any variety.

The M&P 2.0 is fantastic. Haven't had it for very long but it's been the best pistol I own. Broke it in shooting an IDPA match a couple days after I got it. Runs flawlessly.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I'd say the best handgun is one that fits your hand best and one that you can operate competently while having the reliability that you can trust your life with.

My opinion: Sig P226

Even though it lacks manual safety (which imho will get you killed), it has heavy double action that acts as your safety against accidental pull (unlike glocks). The light single action is great for precise trigger control and well aimed shots, and it has a decocker to send it back to double action mode. Aftermarket mags will get you up to 18 rounds and still be flushed when inserted. It's slightly big, so it might not be for everyone.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'd say the best handgun is one that fits your hand best and one that you can operate competently while having the reliability that you can trust your life with.

My opinion: Sig P226

Even though it lacks manual safety (which imho will get you killed), it has heavy double action that acts as your safety against accidental pull (unlike glocks). The light single action is great for precise trigger control and well aimed shots, and it has a decocker to send it back to double action mode. Aftermarket mags will get you up to 18 rounds and still be flushed when inserted. It's slightly big, so it might not be for everyone.

Following this thread for a while and I posted my opinion early but I noticed several people say "when you take Glocks out of the mix"? Seems a silly thing to say when you are talking about 9MM pistols. Another observation, I've been teaching basic pistol classes for several years as well as NRA Basic pistol, I tell every NRA class I teach to put a line through the statement about "accidental discharges" in their book. There's nothing accidental about a pistol going off when the trigger is pulled just simple negligence on the operator's part. I've said it before, training and practice is your friend and will keep you safe. Best 9MM handgun for YOU is the one that YOU are comfortable with and can shoot accurately. Don't be foolish enough to let someone else tell you what is best for you. Get some trigger time (not our illustrious member Trigger Time) and training so you can make an informed decision on what is best for you. :thumbsup:
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member, [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    You are absolutely correct there is no accidental pull when it comes to firearm negligence, but on rare occasion triggers do get caught in clothings. A heavy trigger would alleviate the chance of the weapon going off. Glock triggers, while great and very repeatable, only have one pull weight which isn't a lot. There is nothing bad about the gun. I own a G19 and love it. It's just not my carry gun.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Well this is what I like. The CZ 75 shadow, the grips are like a 1911 feel love the palm swell fits like a glove. Also I am all about steel and wood feel.
    My RO 9 mm is outstanding it's a 1911 enough said. So take this for what it's worth. Just not a fan of plastic guns I do not shoot them well

CZ75 or Browning High Power.
    I already have a few 9MM 1911's

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I would politely disagree with you cundiff5535... the New Shadow2 is absolutely amazing in its accuracy. It is quickly taking the shooting sports world by storm. And much less $$ than an equivelant 1911. And its a double stack to boot! Check one out sometime! You may just own one!

I would gladly admit, the shadow is easily one of the most comfortable pistols out there... I have an SP01 Shadow Target with accu shadow bushing installed and I would also say yes, these are a great buy for the money... They are amazing pistols... and the fantastic for uspsa style shooting sports. I am with you!!

BUT, the first part of the question says "Most accurate". You simply will not see a CZ shadow pistol on a line of bullseye shooters... from an actual rest, the CZ is not going to beat a P210 or a finely crafted 1911.

The Shadow is one of the best buys and does meet the criteria of "most comfortable" and "accurate"...

Cheers:)

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    A gun that encapsulates everything youd want in a pistol: reliable, put to harsh use by pros, accurate out of the box, reasonable safety features and sexy too...HK USP 9.

The action takes some extra time to master and accessories will cost you 3 days pay but IMO its the ultimate 9mm, if there was such a thing.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    There's no best. There's only better for. Better for carry. Better for HD. Better for duty.

It's like arguing over what's the ultimate tire. There's no best tire. There are only compromises that are less bad than others for a particular usage.

The more specialized a gun is, the better it is for that application, and the worse it is for all others. If you doubt, try carrying a long barrel 629 with a hunting scope as a PD weapon.

Or try drag racing with snow tires.

I love 229/226 but for me, they are too wide for a decent carry gun. Duty gun? Absolutely. Carry? No way. Love shooting them. Hate carrying.

It's not just form factor that forces compromise. Trigger, too. The best range gun would have a really light single action trigger. Do you want to carry that? Maybe you do and you're comfortable with it. I'm not comfortable having to re-safety a hot weapon with a hairtrigger, then re-holster. I'd much prefer a decock for carry, or DA, or Striker.

The more I gain experience with SAO, the more willing I am consider that kind of carry gun, though. The limitation of SAO is not inherent in the gun, it's me as the user of said weapon.

Last edited:

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Like others have said what is good for me may not be good for you. I have several polymer style 9mm pistols but they just don't do it for me. I'm a 45 ACP 1911 guy and that is what I normally carry until Wilson came out with a comprise. A 9mm high capacity pistol with the 1911 controls and trigger. I would say this is the best 9mm for me. Still prefer a .45 for self defense but if I want a higher capacity 9mm gun for carry or range this is the one I pick.

4xzjzGo.jpg

Top Bottom