Rensselaer
    Or more accurately -

"THAT WOMAN HAS A WEAPON!!!"

Yep, he screamed it.

In the middle of a store.

And I was the woman in question.

Awesome.

Okay, so the story...

I took the day off from work to finish my Christmas shopping. Yes, I was carrying. CC. Pretty standard for heading out to shop. Anyway, I went to Tractor Supply, a gas station, and small strip mall clothing store with no incident. Well, not no incident. I'm pretty sure there were two guys trying to pull a fast one on the cashier at the clothing store, but she seemed to be handling it well (credit card declined, called Visa...yadda, yadda).

I stopped at the dairy on the way home for lunch and to pick up another Christmas present (the Fair Oaks Dairy - their grilled cheese sandwiches ROCK!), and then I continued to my local farm store. I was sorting through the sweatshirts trying to find the right size. The shirts/coats were on a rack two high in the middle of a wide aisle. As I was reaching up to sort through a few more shirts, it happened.

It was a guy. He really did scream it. I froze. And then I waited. There was a loud whisper from the woman he was with - something like, "Shush, you don't yell stuff like that."

And then nothing. No one seemed concerned. The employees kept working at the register like nothing happened. So I kept shopping. And nothing more happened the entire time I was there. I obviously kept a close eye on the guy the rest of the time he was in there. In retrospect, he was likely autistic or had some other disability.

I was a little shaken after that - I've certainly never been called out like that. And I wonder why the employees weren't more interested. My guess is that he's a regular and screams random things from time to time. Or maybe the employees had already noticed and deemed me as a non-threat. Less likely. At any rate, :+1:for my little town and nobody really freaking out (except me totally freaking out on the inside!).

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    You,,,,,a threat?????:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh come on, you and your hubby are two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of meeting in a long time.

Seriously, I know the establishment, used to get stuff there for work all the time. The owner is a former Army Military Policeman and a Vietnam vet and a very nice guy. My guess is that they are used to OC and CC there. I used to see people carrying there every once in a while. No biggie to me or anyone who worked there as I recall.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    You,,,,,a threat?????:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh come on, you and your hubby are two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of meeting in a long time.

Seriously, I know the establishment, used to get stuff there for work all the time. The owner is a former Army Military Policeman and a Vietnam vet and a very nice guy. My guess is that they are used to OC and CC there. I used to see people carrying there every once in a while. No biggie to me or anyone who worked there as I recall.

lol - I could be scary. I could...okay, maybe not. :D

And it was a nice little store. I'd actually never been in before, but they had exactly what I was looking for at a decent price. And no one tackled me or called the cops. Guess who gets my business again? :yesway:

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm glad no issues were made (other than the initial outburst). I've been called out myself but not like that, the guy who "made me" was very discrete about it. My wife, children and I were at a mall getting ready to leave after some Christmas shopping and my middle daughter was standing in front of me so I bent over and zipped her coat up. Behind me there was an older gentleman sitting on one of the benches looking at the fountain and out of the blue he said, "Those are some beautiful daughters you got there" I smiled at him and said thank you very much he then pointed at my back (I was carrying a G17 MOB) and said "You'll probably need that in a few years when the boys start showing up". When I had bent over to zip Kelsey's coat mine had rode up and gotten caught on the handle and stuck, I felt like I had been busted running naked through the neighborhood, so I reached back and re-concealed my firearm. The older gentleman just smiled and gave me a wink and wished us a Merry Christmas, I thanked him once again wished him the same and we left. I'm so glad it wasn't an idiot anti that started screaming OMG!! HE'S GOT A GUN!!, could have made for a bad day.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    That turned out as it should.

I had an incident years ago, same outcome. I was sitting in a pizzeria and crossed my legs, unknowingly revealing my ankle holster with S&W snubbie. A fellow casually remarked that I was "showing". I covered up and thanked him. Lesson learned, end of story.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    :bacondance: Might as well slip this in before ATM shows up and says it.....

"Just OC and you'll never worry about getting made again"

Did I get it right Alan?????
    :D

That is not strictly true, there is always the higher possibility of a MWAG call to the police when OC'ing. I'd call that getting made! :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Reaching up and bending over are two things I was careful about when I carried on my belt.

You can usually get away with reaching up with your hand that is opposite your gun; that doesn't lift the gun side of the covering garment as much.

Instead of bending over, learn to squat, keeping your back straight, when you need to get low.

In any event, stay alert to your surroundings, how close people are to you, and who might see a bulge, a barrel, or a grip.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    AuntieBellum, you are scary. Um... yeah...

(OK, I'm lying.) :laugh:

:bacondance: Might as well slip this in before ATM shows up and says it.....

"Just OC and you'll never worry about getting made again"

Did I get it right Alan?????
    :D

Nice! Well done my friend. :yesway:

Don't feed him, he needs no encouragement.:D

True. You know me too well. ;)

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Fair Oaks Dairy! :rockwoot:

And it was GOOD!

Thanks I needed a chuckle this morning :):

Really, nobody thinks I'm scary? Really? :dunno: I've even OC'd in your store, melensdad. Still not scary, huh?

AuntieBellum, you are scary. Um... yeah...

(OK, I'm lying.) :laugh:

Fine then. I guess I'm not scary. I'll just keep CC'ing and then have the element of surprise if ever needed. Except when in the farm store, I guess. ;)

fair oaks tour this year still creeps me out, those cows have never eaten grass, the "food" is in piles and is loaded with a front end loader

I've never taken the tour. I generally don't want to see how my food is made. I like to eat animal products, and I just don't want to see how they end up on my plate.

I'm glad to hear others have uneventful stories, too. I actually have only carried in my town very few times because I'm a little fearful of getting "made" in my small town and the rumors starting to fly. I already have to deal with my boss asking every time he makes me mad if I'm going to come back and shoot him. :rolleyes: He's a tad bit uncomfortable with my hobbies and doesn't know how to appropriately channel his humor...really need to get him to the range sometime to fix that.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yes. Get him to the range. Nip it in the bud sort of thing.
    Auntie, I think maybe you're right. My wife works with MR/DD adults, and just took a fella Christmas shopping yesterday. Also, I think maybe when you're in a farm store you are, by definition, in the presence of more sensible people. When you failed to run, shoot the screamer, or otherwise panic, they showed that common sense and went back to work.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Yes. Get him to the range. Nip it in the bud sort of thing.
    Auntie, I think maybe you're right. My wife works with MR/DD adults, and just took a fella Christmas shopping yesterday. Also, I think maybe when you're in a farm store you are, by definition, in the presence of more sensible people. When you failed to run, shoot the screamer, or otherwise panic, they showed that common sense and went back to work.

Yeah, I don't want to know what would have happened had I been in the mall instead of a farm store. It's good to know there are sensible people in the real world and not just here on the internets. :D

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm glad nobody went nut's over it, and sorry it freaked you out so bad. I have a distant relative who has autism, and he sometimes shouts things out in inappropriate places, probably nothing more than that. I carry on my belt in the winter, and I'm sure somewhere along the line, somebody has "made" me, but I've never heard about it. :ingo:

Last edited:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Fair Oaks grilled cheese is the BEST!!! The tour is pretty lame but the rotating milking parlor is pretty cool. I used to go to WI all the time, the cheese sucks there, always stopped by Fair Oaks for some good cheese on the way home.

For those that must have meat on a sandwich like myself you can get ham or turkey as well, its good!

Top Bottom