• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I'm officially an old man today since I just signed up for retirement benefits at the SSA. But that isn't the reason for this thread. I was in the turn lane to the Social Security Admin on Bluffton Road in Fort Wayne, IN and had to stop and back up. Sure enough, there was a single stack plastic 9mm gun complete with holster and two mags laying in the turn lane. Of course it was in pieces because it probably fell off someones car. I didn't want a bad guy to find the gun and cause a mass shooting so I called 911 and a LEO came out to retrieve the pile of parts. Now, your thoughts. Should I have just gathered up the pieces and rebuild what was broken, if anything? Had I kept the little 9mm I would probably have gotten stopped by a new LEO that would discover that I have a LTCH and ran the serial numbers through their data base (illegal, I believe) and it could have come back stolen and linked to numerous murders. This isn't the first gun I've found. Years ago I fount a Jennings 22 in a rental car. I did give the little gun to a friend who was the customs agent at the airport. It came back negative and I got to keep it. What would you have done?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think you did the right thing. As for me, it isn't my gun so I want no part of it. If it can't be returned to the owner than that is about the only solution.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I probably would have done what you did. It's not mine. It belongs to somebody else and should be returned to them. If I had been the one to lose it, even though it got damaged, I would appreciate a Good Samaritan returning my property.

Shadow Goose

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2015
    South
    I agree with 223 Gunner. Out of all the courses of action that you could have taken, I believe that was this was the best course. Not worth all the grief it could cause you.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I could have sworn I saw the same thing one late night in the road directly in front of the sheriffs dept......
    I was on the way to get my kid from the gym and thought ..... Nah couldn't be .... so I drove on.
    I came back by about 10 minutes later and a squad car was out there with his lights on.
    Somebody left their duty belt on the back of the car and drove off? :rofl:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    You did the right thing. There could be a horrible back story to why that gun was on the the road and some difficult questions as to why it's in your possession. It's not like finding money on the ground where anybody you ask will say it's theirs.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I talked with my sister yesterday, who is a police officer in Greenwood, IN, and she agreed with all of you. Now I'm thinking about trying to get the gun back if it isn't claimed. Fat chance but it can't hurt to try, right.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Agree that you did the right thing. Regarding your question of what I would have done: knowing myself like I do, I would have looked at it and drove right on past it. About 1/2 hour later I would have thought to myself, "I wonder if that was a gun?"

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Well, I'm officially an old man today since I just signed up for retirement benefits at the SSA. But that isn't the reason for this thread. I was in the turn lane to the Social Security Admin on Bluffton Road in Fort Wayne, IN and had to stop and back up. Sure enough, there was a single stack plastic 9mm gun complete with holster and two mags laying in the turn lane. Of course it was in pieces because it probably fell off someones car. I didn't want a bad guy to find the gun and cause a mass shooting so I called 911 and a LEO came out to retrieve the pile of parts. Now, your thoughts. Should I have just gathered up the pieces and rebuild what was broken, if anything? Had I kept the little 9mm I would probably have gotten stopped by a new LEO that would discover that I have a LTCH and ran the serial numbers through their data base (illegal, I believe) and it could have come back stolen and linked to numerous murders. This isn't the first gun I've found. Years ago I fount a Jennings 22 in a rental car. I did give the little gun to a friend who was the customs agent at the airport. It came back negative and I got to keep it. What would you have done?

Someone discovered a new & unique way to dispose of Jennings guns, just leave them in the random rental car.....
    Yesterday must have been "Lets lose things day". I found a wallet laying on the ground in the parking lot of a BP I frequent. Gave it to the owner of the gas station and he said the owner retrieved it about an hour later...Idiot put it on the roof of his car after doing "pay at the pump" and drove off when finished...

Top Bottom