• ...and so much more!
  • Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    photos

Above is the 1st hog shot from a ground blind near a watering hole and feeder, range was about 25 yds and shot with a .308. He weighed 132 lbs(dressed out).

The guide and I went out later that night with his AR chambered in 7.62x39 with a thermal sight. We drove around for 20 minutes using the thermal sight until he saw about a dozen hogs in a field. The guide got permission from the owner to shoot the hogs. We got out of the truck and walked over to the fence around the field, I shot one as it was feeding and 2 more that were on the run after the 1st shot was fired. We recovered one of the runners but the other got through another fence and was lost. Below are the 2 taken with the AR, the range was about 40 yds. The 2 black ones weighed 105 and 110 lbs. dressed out.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Wow....... that sounds like a GREAT time!

Congrats on a good hunt.

I have an invite to get down there to an area north of Dallas.... need to get it done.

I would be interested in hearing how the meat is.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Wow....... that sounds like a GREAT time!

Congrats on a good hunt.

I have an invite to get down there to an area north of Dallas.... need to get it done.

The three hogs were boars, the meat tasted good but was a little tough. Maybe I didn`t cook it long enough.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Nice pigs. HowÂ’d you like the thermal sight?
    The guide said the sight cost $9200, I forget the brand name. The hogs were pure white, the ground was a dark but not black, trees and brush were black. The crosshairs were black when looking at a hog and turned white when passing over a black object. The difficult part was depth perception, the view was just plain 2D.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    The guide said the sight cost $9200, I forget the brand name. The hogs were pure white, the ground was a dark but not black, trees and brush were black. The crosshairs were black when looking at a hog and turned white when passing over a black object. The difficult part was depth perception, the view was just plain 2D.

Neat, I imagine they use quality units. Tossing around the idea of some nvg and may see what the entry level thermals cost.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you don't mind me asking what does a hog hunt in TX run without travel?

My parents are picking up a condo in the Corpus Christi area so I will soon have a steady place to visit so I was just thinking surf and turf. Maybe some Red Snapper or sea trout with a side of pulled pork.:rockwoot:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

They taste just like domestic pigs but are typically much leaner. Boars have a very strong smell and flavor just like a domestic boar does.

The three hogs were boars, the meat tasted good but was a little tough. Maybe I didn`t cook it long enough.

I've killed a whitetail, a mule deer, and 6 pigs in several hunting trips to Texas and with the exception of a couple of the pigs which were very young, every one of them was very tough. I think it is likely due to the tougher conditions that they live in there compared to here. Slow cookers and or a meat grinder are your friends when it comes to eating any critter from Texas.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    If you don't mind me asking what does a hog hunt in TX run without travel?

My parents are picking up a condo in the Corpus Christi area so I will soon have a steady place to visit so I was just thinking surf and turf. Maybe some Red Snapper or sea trout with a side of pulled pork.:rockwoot:
    2 days and 3 nights, meals included and 2 hogs cleaned and quartered for $550. I shot three and he didn't ask any extra for the 3rd hog. I only had 3 coolers and didn't have room for any more meat. He acted like he just wanted the hogs and coyotes eliminated. I got up early the 2nd morning and setup about 100 yards from a gut pile but cotes didn't come in.
    I didn't think to put this in the original post but I found this guy from EAI Outdoors. They had a booth at the Boat, Sport and Travel show at the fair grounds in 2016 or 2017. They also have a guide service for hogs near San Angelo, Tx.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    2 days and 3 nights, meals included and 2 hogs cleaned and quartered for $550. I shot three and he didn't ask any extra for the 3rd hog. I only had 3 coolers and didn't have room for any more meat. He acted like he just wanted the hogs and coyotes eliminated. I got up early the 2nd morning and setup about 100 yards from a gut pile but cotes didn't come in.
    I didn't think to put this in the original post but I found this guy from EAI Outdoors. They had a booth at the Boat, Sport and Travel show at the fair grounds in 2016 or 2017. They also have a guide service for hogs near San Angelo, Tx.

Thanks for the heads up...I will keep it in mind as we use the place more often.

Top Bottom