• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Children's Birthday party at the range? good or bad idea?

• Total voters

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Pretty good idea if you ask me. I wonder if we have anything like this in Indiana? Sounds like the first of its kind for Texas, and first that I have heard of. Reading the article, they want one adult for each child, and the children have to be older then eight.
    Texas gun range to host children

So, whats everyone's opinion on this? I think its a great idea, as I had learned how to shoot when I was around 5 or 6, and I knew the difference between real and toy guns, even back then. As they said, its our responsibility to teach them proper safety with firearms. So, whats everyone's two cents on this?

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I really want to start teaching my GFs boys to shoot, they are 8 & 12, I have some 22s a rifle and a pistol, I just worry I won't be a good enough teacher...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I volunteer to teach the National Shooting Sports Foundation's (NSSF) "First-Shots" program at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette.

We teach a lot of 7&8 year olds, as well as a few octagenarians.

I think this Texas range has a great idea there. Teach them the proper and SAFE handling of firearms as soon as they are resonsible enough to take it in. Most kids are naturally curious, and would jump at the chance to learn to shoot.

It's the brainwashing of some parents and guardians that put fear into them.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I really want to start teaching my GFs boys to shoot, they are 8 & 12, I have some 22s a rifle and a pistol, I just worry I won't be a good enough teacher...

Teaching, you can always ask someone else to help. The biggest thing to remember is the 4 safety rules. Go to youtube even, and you can load up all those "accidents" and use it to teach the kids, and then point out the safety rules as they violate them. Helps them to recognize it a little more when they see it. Also, if you are in the NWI area, I know my brother and myself have taught a lot of Boy Scouts and friends of ours how to shoot. We would be more then happy to teach a new generation to shoot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Where are you located? Applied Ballistics in Lafayette has the FREE First Shots program on the second Saturday of each month. All you need to do is call to "sign-up" for the class. Class sizes are restricted, so call early.

It is completely FREE OF CHARGE! Everything is provided, including instruction, Ruger Mark III's, ammuntion, targets, eye protection, ear protection, ALL PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE.

Applied Ballistics
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In.47909
    765-838-0700
    Closed Mon.& Tues.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I volunteer to teach the National Shooting Sports Foundation's (NSSF) "First-Shots" program at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette.

We teach a lot of 7&8 year olds, as well as a few octagenarians.

I think this Texas range has a great idea there. Teach them the proper and SAFE handling of firearms as soon as they are resonsible enough to take it in. Most kids are naturally curious, and would jump at the chance to learn to shoot.

It's the brainwashing of some parents and guardians that put fear into them.

I thought they had a great idea as well, that was why i posted it. I wanted to share it. I know I would have loved something like this growing up. Then again, I was born in the cold months, so probably wouldn't have happened. You are right, I was curious, but since my parents taught me early, how to respect and treat the weapon, i wasn't curious anymore. I knew if i wanted to clean the rifles, that I could when I asked, so there was no need to try and "sneak" around to do that. I knew that if i listened, Id get to have fun on the range, with my older brothers, and if I didnt then I couldnt, so i listened pretty well

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't say I was jealous, cause I got to shoot as a kid. Not as much as repeter though.
    I'm still debating on if we shoulda let him go to the range.
    :)

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i dent read the article but i have been wondering this as well, or something like this. i really don't have a problem with this, but i thnk because children are involved i think there should b an age limit. Now i know everybody gnu fry me for this but i think there needs to be an age limit for obvious reasons. 1) Parents. Lets be real, not all people should have kids,period, let alone that same person teaching kids how to use a gun.
    2)i believe the instructors at the range should have extensive training when it comes to children. I have 2 boys one about to b 8 and just wondering when is a good time to let them handle one, loaded or unloaded. Does anyone know of a good training class for beginner/young child.

other than that i wouldn't have a problem with it all all. Im not trying to insult or **** anybody off, just my :twocents:

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Where are you located? Applied Ballistics in Lafayette has the FREE First Shots program on the second Saturday of each month. All you need to do is call to "sign-up" for the class. Class sizes are restricted, so call early.

It is completely FREE OF CHARGE! Everything is provided, including instruction, Ruger Mark III's, ammuntion, targets, eye protection, ear protection, ALL PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE.

Applied Ballistics
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In.47909
    765-838-0700
    Closed Mon.& Tues.

Thanks a bunch, I'm in Indy, so lafayette is not far for us

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    i dent read the article but i have been wondering this as well, or something like this. i really don't have a problem with this, but i thnk because children are involved i think there should b an age limit. Now i know everybody gnu fry me for this but i think there needs to be an age limit for obvious reasons. 1) Parents. Lets be real, not all people should have kids,period, let alone that same person teaching kids how to use a gun.
    2)i believe the instructors at the range should have extensive training when it comes to children. I have 2 boys one about to b 8 and just wondering when is a good time to let them handle one, loaded or unloaded. Does anyone know of a good training class for beginner/young child.

other than that i wouldn't have a problem with it all all. Im not trying to insult or **** anybody off, just my :twocents:

Here, they are using 8 as the age limit. However, if you ask Mgderf, he has mentioned that he helps teach children as well. He is in Lafayette, and at a wonderful gun range at that. I was there this winter, and it was nice being able to shoot rifles indoors, in such a bright, clean place. I know that I had started early, but I guess its all on how you think your child can handle it. Some kids mature earlier then others, some like learning things, while others like running around. Nothing wrong with either of those.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pretty good idea if you ask me. I wonder if we have anything like this in Indiana?

I see you have never visited Deb's before then. :D
    She does host "birthday parties" at the gun range as well as "closed classes". I'm not sure if she has ever hosted a children's bday party but it is possible and since her range is small enough it would be possible to keep tight control on it.

I'm still debating on if we shoulda let him go to the range.
    :)

WHAT! Are you are senidng him alone to the Meet & Shoot this weekend!
    WHAT!!!
    :D

msteiner17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My wife is not very fond of guns, but when my daughters reach the age of 10 I would like to get them instruction/education in firearm safety and shooting. Still have 5 and 8 years to go. Should give me enough time to convince the wife that it's not a bad idea.

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    When my GF and I started dating she was not at all fond of guns. She was ok that I always carry, but I talked to her about the fact that I'm going to have my gun with me at all times and I wanted her to sty least know how to safty check and disarm my gun if she ever needed to. That is how I broke the ice, now I've got her out to the range a few times, she isn't scared anymore, she now "nags" me to go to the range. I couldn't be happier. Now we just need to fold her children into safty and control of their air soft guns before we move on to .22s.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Great info about the First Shots program, my son just turned 5, and he's probably close to getting some BB gun time... I think 8 is a good age for a "class" because (at least with my son, who has moderate to severe ADHD) they need to be able to "retain" what they're learning in the class.

And with most kids, they'll pay more attention to something they're interested in.

YMMV

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I see you have never visited Deb's before then. :D
    She does host "birthday parties" at the gun range as well as "closed classes". I'm not sure if she has ever hosted a children's bday party but it is possible and since her range is small enough it would be possible to keep tight control on it.

WHAT! Are you are senidng him alone to the Meet & Shoot this weekend!
    WHAT!!!
    :D

Have not been to Debs, although I have heard it is a pretty cozy sized range. Since I do not have kids yet, not too worried right now, but would be nice to know for down the line.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Have not been to Debs, although I have heard it is a pretty cozy sized range. Since I do not have kids yet, not too worried right now, but would be nice to know for down the line.

5 lanes in the basement of a building. Motorized target holder that allows you to move your target from 0 feet to 25 feet back. Pistol and .22 lr rifle only. Standing only shooting as there are no benches.

What I dislike is the upstairs is smoke central. The owner and 99% of employees are chain smokers and as soon as you walk in their is a cloud of smoke in the area. :( You come out of their with an 1/8 of a lung missing and reeking of smoke.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I honestly don't think the birthday party thing is that great of an idea. Kids can get pretty emotional and excited at birthday parties and surrounded by their peers. It seems like a situation that could result in a lack of focus either from a child or an adult, and who's to say if all the adults (or kids) in the party have any knowledge of firearm safety.

I have no problems with young kids or groups of kids shooting (with the right supervision, of course). I worked as an archery instructor for Cub Scouts a couple of summers...that was an adventure. But I don't think I'd host a birthday party at a gun range for children as young as 8.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I honestly don't think the birthday party thing is that great of an idea. Kids can get pretty emotional and excited at birthday parties and surrounded by their peers. It seems like a situation that could result in a lack of focus either from a child or an adult, and who's to say if all the adults (or kids) in the party have any knowledge of firearm safety.

I have no problems with young kids or groups of kids shooting (with the right supervision, of course). I worked as an archery instructor for Cub Scouts a couple of summers...that was an adventure. But I don't think I'd host a birthday party at a gun range for children as young as 8.

Well, at this range, they said that they would have range officers available for the parties, and they wanted a one adult one child ratio. Sounds like it should be pretty safe. And, I have taught Boy Scouts how to shoot, and I know what you mean about them having trouble with focus, but helps to make sure you take breaks, and try to interest and involve them. Also helps if you let them know, they act up, they don't get to play too.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

In our "First-Shots" program, we have 5 shooting lanes going at one time, but we also have 3 instructors in the same bay. One range safety officer, and two instructors.
    5 shooters in individual lanes separated by ballistic walls, and attended by 3 instructors. Then there are almost always the parents watching as well.

The only way we could make it any safer would be to go one-on-one instruction. This is done on occassion, when a shooter exhibits fear, or just intimidation. That still leaves 1 instructor for every two shooters.

The "First-Shots" program is sacnctioned by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation). While this is completely separate from the NRA, I am a NRA certified Instructor in more than one discipline. If I felt the situation unsafe, do you really think I would continue to volunteer for this?

I personally think the birthday party at the range idea is a GREAT one!

Top Bottom