• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Where are the my riiiiitttteeesss folks? The OP was about something the athletes own that the NCAA is taking from them, not about paying them, a different debate.

Should the athletes not be compensated for what is theirs?

So most of you are arguing that the school or NCAA can sell the athletes name, image, and likeness just because the athletes play for them?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When their jersey is selling they are a "household name" to someone...
    Probably. Just not me. I'm not arguing one way or another. I simply don't care about college sports. I have no interest in watching a bunch of people I've never heard of playing games I have no interest in, but I get that some people do like it. It used to be illegal for any amateur athlete to be paid. If they are paid, then they're professionals.

It used to be against the rules for professional athletes to compete in the Olympics too, but when you have Olympic teams made up exclusively of professional athletes, then it's really not the Olympics anymore either. It's just a big professional "All Star" competition.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Probably. Just not me. I'm not arguing one way or another. I simply don't care about college sports. I have no interest in watching a bunch of people I've never heard of playing games I have no interest in, but I get that some people do like it. It used to be illegal for any amateur athlete to be paid. If they are paid, then they're professionals.

It used to be against the rules for professional athletes to compete in the Olympics too, but when you have Olympic teams made up exclusively of professional athletes, then it's really not the Olympics anymore either. It's just a big professional "All Star" competition.

We're the Olympics not began as a competition of the best athletes in the world competing?

Why does it matter if others believe they are worth paying when they are not in the Olympics?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You bring up a great point. Athletes aren’t the only ones taken advantage of by schools. Perhaps it’s time to revamp the system. Schools use grad students like temp workers in a very one sided job negotiation.
    I`d have to see the gun held to their heads that forces them to do the work. It`s a typical way to gain experience and get solid training. They`re free to go out into the work field and get the best On The Job Training they can.

This silly "pay the student-athletes" is just a further extension of this liberal, I`m entitled culture. They can`t build their own semi-pro league, so they demand the money that the ncaa has worked to make. Just as an aside, the schools these poor deprived student-athletes attend benefit greatly from the ncaa payouts. ALL the students benefit. If these geniuses want paid, they need to go for the pros. College is for education, the sports are what`s called an extracurricular activity, NOT a job.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Where are the my riiiiitttteeesss folks? The OP was about something the athletes own that the NCAA is taking from them, not about paying them, a different debate.

Should the athletes not be compensated for what is theirs?

So most of you are arguing that the school or NCAA can sell the athletes name, image, and likeness just because the athletes play for them?
    Crickets...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I honestly couldn't name a single college athlete in any sport. So I think the term "household name" might be a bit strong.
    Not really. I dont care enough to know any by name, but when my grandparents and assorted friends of theirs were still alive, there were tons of players they knew by name on a variety of teams.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Schools provide over $3.6 BILLION in athletic scholarships annually, to more than 180,000 student athletes.

Someone is getting paid.

And yes, very little distinguishes college sports from professional these days. Looks like TX is just letting it swing more pro.
    Tuition is the biggest monetary value here. It costs the same to teach a class whether there are 48 or 53 students. This amounts to trading something that doesn't really cost anything for green cash, and lots of it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Play overseas, or, go to the nba right out of highschool.
    Question. Would you have an issue if private persons paid athletes to attend particular schools? Or do you think it's within the authority of an organization to ban prospective students from competing in college athletics because of their private agreements?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Tuition is the biggest monetary value here. It costs the same to teach a class whether there are 48 or 53 students. This amounts to trading something that doesn't really cost anything for green cash, and lots of it.
    Sliding scale of efficiency, yes. "The same", no.

Universities actually operate on very slim margins. a few percentage point swing in enrollment/tuition makes a HUGE difference. Many schools spend hundreds of thousands moving the enrollment needle 2-3%. So, if they are funding an athlete at $50,000 to $150,000 per year in scholarship, they have to be MAKING significantly more just to break even.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Crickets...
    I agree. The NCAA shouldn't hold the right to a person's name. I have the jersey's of a few of my favorite college football players. Of course Nike, Adidas, etcetera, gets their cut. NCAA gets their cut. The universities get their cut. Why not the players, whose name and performance and persona is being sold right along with the jersey? The big athletic wear companies don't make the big money on just generic jerseys. It's the university, it's the team, but it's also the player that sells the jerseys. It's only just that they are compensated for that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Play overseas, or, go to the nba right out of highschool.
    Why? How about changing the rules? Let them get paid. It's not like they're there for academics anyway. Refusing to let them get paid for the use of their own name just perpetuates the fakeness of college sports. And, as has been mentioned, maybe if they get paid for the use of their name, the would be less cheating instead of more.

I don't want colleges to pay players for playing. But if they're using players' names to promote the school then I think they owe them that. And advertisers should be able to compensate players for using their names.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I heard in a real life discussion of this topic that the reason the EA Sports college basketball video game was discontinued was due to the player likeness issue. The pro players get compensation through their players associations, the college players don't have any representation...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The NCAA may be hanging by a thread anyway, the big conferences that are part of the FBS are making noise about just doing top level football on their own without the NCAA...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sliding scale of efficiency, yes. "The same", no.

Universities actually operate on very slim margins. a few percentage point swing in enrollment/tuition makes a HUGE difference. Many schools spend hundreds of thousands moving the enrollment needle 2-3%. So, if they are funding an athlete at $50,000 to $150,000 per year in scholarship, they have to be MAKING significantly more just to break even.
    The absolute cost of operating the class does not change. The instructor gets paid the same, the cost of turning on the lights does not change, and the cost of maintaining the roof does not change. There are times in which an athlete or two might displace a paying customer or two but in my experience, it was a rarity. Consequently, my experience and observation indicates that the "cost" of tuition for a relatively small number of athletes is at most a theoretical expense.

Housing and food are a different story. It is also noteworthy that a quick conference with Google brought to my attention that there are approximately 850 athletic scholarship students at IU. There are approximately 48,500 students total. Also interesting is that the overwhelming majority of revenue comes through men's basketball and men's football. Most everything else bleeds red like it got shot with 00 buck.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Looks like I was off a bit:

Over $4B in athletic scholarships in 2020, to over 520,000 students.

IU spends on the order of $12.8M on athletic scholarships.

$15K per year. Remember they fund the losing sports, particularly the title 9 scholarships...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like I was off a bit:

Over $4B in athletic scholarships in 2020, to over 520,000 students.

IU spends on the order of $12.8M on athletic scholarships.
    Is this what it actually cost them or the attribution of full retail price on which they are profiting on the back end?

Top Bottom