• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Why is this incident interesting? When was the last time you were pulled over and were given $100? This was an extraordinary event. It was NOT an every day occurrence. Is that so hard to comprehend?

It's not enough to bash LEOs when there is something questionable, let's start :poop: when they do good things too!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    nakinate said:
    Why is this incident interesting? When was the last time you were pulled over and were given $100? This was an extraordinary event. It was NOT an every day occurrence. Is that so hard to comprehend?

It's not enough to bash LEOs when there is something questionable, let's start :poop: when they do good things too!

Alright, keep your pants on. Seriously. I agreed that he was a very kind and charitable individual and I'm not bashing anyone.

I'm just pointing out what appears to be some form of a Stockholm Syndrome or something. We are so accustomed to being pulled over and hassled by cops that when one does something kind for once it makes the morning news. And that is a shame.

It is also a shame that this cop had to squander $100 just to make sure the poor guy wouldn't keep getting hassled by other cops while trying to drive to work and take care of his family.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Clearly this was an isolated incident :)

Seriously, I wish they'd put more of these out there. I suspect that like the abuses we talk so much about, the above and beyond acts probably happen much more often than we know about.

Awesome story and it's nice to read a positive one here, though I do agree with posting the negative ones. It's important to remember there's always much more than we know.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    People give hundreds of dollars to charity probably hundreds of times a day.

Although I applaud all charitable giving, I find it fascinating that this one gets its own news segment and an entire thread.

This thread obviously wasn't posted for you. It was posted to share on a blessing that someone received. It blessed me and reminded me to be a blessing to others.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Its a shame the government puts people in a position to choose between feeding their families or paying for permission to travel.

Its also a shame that the officer's charitable donation was immediately consumed by the government instead of actually benefiting the struggling family.

The guy was able to register both cars. The Video said he got a new job and is now able to provide for his family. Sometimes an act of random kindness goes a lot deeper than what is seen on the surface.

It looks like the act of kindness from the officer helped this family get back on track despite all of the Governments attempts sabotage them.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Gluemanz28 said:
    The guy was able to register both cars. The Video said he got a new job and is now able to provide for his family. Sometimes an act of random kindness goes a lot deeper than what is seen on the surface.

How did $100, all wasted on government nonsense that this cop enforces, enable him to get a new job?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How did $100, all wasted on government nonsense that this cop enforces, enable him to get a new job?

Yes, yes, the $100 was wasted on government nonsense. We all have to pay for the government nonsense. It's just an expense that we shouldn't have to pay, but we still gotta pay. So given that it is indeed nonsense, has nothing to do with the story. But because the officer wanted to help someone down on his luck, that's $100 bucks he could use on the more meaningful stuff. It is a noteworthy story because it's a rare act of compassion coming from an unlikely source.

So from your posts in this thread, I could see that if you were the recipient, rather than calling to commend the officer, you might rather complain that the $100 was government nonsense anyway.

I, know, you're trying to be all objectivist and all, and I'm sure Ayn would be proud. But you're exemplifying part of what I have against it. You know, compassion is not evil and it's not a bad thing that people are equipped with compassion.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    On the contrary, I said earlier that I applaud his act of charity. He gave unselfishly and I think that is a wonderful thing.

How it enabled him to find a new job is a mystery to me.

It is also a mystery to me to see a cop providing charity to offset the financial problems that he is helping to perpetuate. Why not just stop perpetuating it? He could do that for free.

I never said that compassion is evil. I've had enough constructive arguments with you to know that you know what a ridiculous straw-man that is.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Aww, come on guys. I gave this thread about 24 more hours of life than it deserved. Now more people know about this life-changing benjamin.

In fairness, it is in the politics section. Stick it in the break room if you don't want to hear any discussion.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    If this was a trucker who pulled over to help someone on a bicycle with a flat tire and gave him a $100 to get his car fixed, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I don't care if the copper got that hundred dollar bill from his last traffic stop, it was still a good gesture. A good deed is a good deed regardless of who performs it, whether it be cop or robber. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had the misfortune of being pulled over by LEO and getting "hassled". I've never been pulled over for doing the speed limit, or wearing my seat belt, or staying within my lane and not swerving. I always instigate the meet and greet by doing something avoidable. just my 4c worth.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Aww, come on guys. I gave this thread about 24 more hours of life than it deserved. Now more people know about this life-changing benjamin.

In fairness, it is in the politics section. Stick it in the break room if you don't want to hear any discussion.

Well, yeah....you got that working for you.....:)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There are many folks who could benefit from yours and my random act of charity. Let's hope no one makes a fuss when we do.

If you see a need and can fill it just do it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom