• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    What is it about winter that cause the bad drivers to come out of the woodwork? What compells people to speed, tailgate, and pull out in front of people when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground? I realize there are always idiots but it seems like it's every other driver when the roads are bad. Ugh. Ok I'm done my rant now, thanks for listening. :)

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    What is it about winter that cause the bad drivers to come out of the woodwork? What compells people to speed, tailgate, and pull out in front of people when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground? I realize there are always idiots but it seems like it's every other driver when the roads are bad. Ugh. Ok I'm done my rant now, thanks for listening. :)

Maybe you should get out of the passing lane lol.

If you can't stay with the flow of traffic maybe you shouldn't be on the roads.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Im not that joker that drives 30 in a 50.... those people are just as much a hazard in these conditions as driving too fast.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Today I was doing 45 in a 50 on a totally snow covered road. A guy pulled out in front of me when I was no more than 100 feet out, and he had no traction, so when I swerved around him he MIGHT have been doing 5. That stupidity is what im talking about. Pay a little more attention when conditions are hazardous people.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville

How about the idiots that like to come out of the woodwork and do 15 on the roadways, going down the middle of two lanes, blabbing on their cellphone about how bad the weather and the drive is? They're just as bad.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I've noticed an increase in people pulling out or turning in front of me as well. I'm not sure what the psychological reason is behind it, but I think it is a very real phenomenon.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Today I was doing 45 in a 50 on a totally snow covered road. A guy pulled out in front of me when I was no more than 100 feet out, and he had no traction, so when I swerved around him he MIGHT have been doing 5. That stupidity is what im talking about. Pay a little more attention when conditions are hazardous people.
    Then again, the fact that you had to "swerve" when you had 100 feet before you reached him might be an indicator that you indeed were driving too fast for conditions. :dunno: I'm sure I probably do annoy some people because I'm very cautious in those conditions. It's not that I don't know how to drive in it... I do. But I don't trust anyone else but ME. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone pulled out in front of me like that. I fully expect people to be idiots, and I'm rarely disappointed. :):

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The only idiots I have seen are jerks in big 4 wheel drive trucks that get pissed because everyone around them is driving a sensible speed and they want to go faster so they dart in and out of traffic.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have seen to many stupid things on the roads in the past couple of days just going to a friends house to even list.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Then again, the fact that you had to "swerve" when you had 100 feet before you reached him might be an indicator that you indeed were driving too fast for conditions. :dunno: I'm sure I probably do annoy some people because I'm very cautious in those conditions. It's not that I don't know how to drive in it... I do. But I don't trust anyone else but ME. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone pulled out in front of me like that. I fully expect people to be idiots, and I'm rarely disappointed. :):

:+1: Driving in the snow doesn't bother me. It's everyone else on the road that scares me. I don't know what kind of a driver anyone else is. You may be amazing or you may suck. If I'm a little too cautious for anyone then I'm sorry, but once I start consistently losing traction I know I should probably slow down a little bit. And I absolutely hate when you veer out of the nice little snow ruts on the road just a little bit only to have the snow kick your car back over into them.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Uh, no. I'm not sure you realize how small of a distance 100 feet is. At 45mph it's less than 1.5 seconds. Hell yeah I had to swerve. Anybody who pulls out in front of somebody with that little of a distance between them is either stupid or not paying attention.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    People around here pull out in front of you in dry conditions. Why would snow be different? It's as if they have the right away. Lived in several states, have traveled to many more states and countries and have to say, Hoosiers are some of the ****tiest drivers out there.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    The only idiots I have seen are jerks in big 4 wheel drive trucks that get pissed because everyone around them is driving a sensible speed and they want to go faster so they dart in and out of traffic.

That's me.

Wednesday morning on my way to work I passed everyone because everyone else stayed home the previous 2 days and they thought the roads were horrible. One woman at work wasn't thrilled with me when I passed her but if you're going to run under 30 mph you're going to get passed. When I had to drive home in the middle of the snow storm Sunday afternoon I was running in the unplowed left lane and passing people. I wasn't alone though; there was a guy in a jeep behind me doing the same thing. It really doesn't bother me to drive in snow. I enjoy it for the most part.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The ones that tick me off are the ones that go out and buy the most expensive summer only tires for their tricked out vehicle, along with a couple of grand worth of fancy wheels and then are all over the place when they have to run that setup in snow. People need to use their heads. If you cannot afford a set of winter tires to go along with your summer only tires, then you cannot afford summer only tires if you plan to drive in the winter. Just get a set of all season tires and be done with it. Sure, they are not great at any thing, but they are not the worst at anything either.

It is interesting also to note how many morons with 4x4s end up in the ditch. They just don't understand that 4WD lets you get going better than a 2WD vehicle, but it's no different at stopping or turning. A good set of winter tires helps a lot in the stuff we've had lately. I used to run a set of Blizzak WS 60s on my Tundra but now that I have an F150, have not had a chance to get a dedicated set of snows. It has a set of mediocre all terrain tires that do Ok, but I miss the bite the Blizzaks provided.

One thing to keep in mind is that we share the roads with all skill level drivers. The person doing 10 mph may be an 80 year old man that manned a trench in Korea and to him, stuff is happening awfully quick, even at 10 mph. It's easy to get frustrated with folks that don't take driving seriously and cause problems when their ineptitude costs us time but some of those people do take driving seriously and are just doing they best they can do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom