• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    It's def. gonna help. I've got a highschool buddy who teaches in the inner city. he cannot carry yet keeps a thick piece of steel in his extremely large luggage sized brief case.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    It will help.

Maybe a shooter will think twice about choosing a school because it isn't a 100% victim zone.

And, there will be a means to stop a shooter if something happens. That can only be good.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Not a fan of this idea... I would rather see an armed guard or leo on the facility.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    With training, it will help.

Agreed.

IF the law passes, then I'd suspect there would be a much higher level of training.

Carrying a weapon to protect yourself and your family when out and about in a public (or private) place is a whole different ball game than carrying a firearm as part of your job to help ensure protections for several other people.

In THIS instance, since it would be a part of their job duties, the insistence upon regular and routine training would be A-OK with me.

Fine line, though, between those teachers who want to carry while at work vs. those who'd like to carry at work AND work at securing the school.

-J-

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Agreed.

IF the law passes, then I'd suspect there would be a much higher level of training.

Carrying a weapon to protect yourself and your family when out and about in a public (or private) place is a whole different ball game than carrying a firearm as part of your job to help ensure protections for several other people.

In THIS instance, since it would be a part of their job duties, the insistence upon regular and routine training would be A-OK with me.

Fine line, though, between those teachers who want to carry while at work vs. those who'd like to carry at work AND work at securing the school.

-J-

You make it sound like the teachers will become part teacher part security guard. When I read the article I took it as they will be allowed to carry concealed if they choose to. No extra responsibility to protect anyone other than what they would do normally if on the street or in a mall. They have the tool needed to PERHAPS make a difference. Not the responsibility to protect the school from a shooter. I guess it's a choice vs duty thing. My take is they will now have the choice rather than be given the duty. Maybe I read it wrong?

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I like it alot. Hopefully it passes. I bet you alot of school shootings would have ended with many less dead victims if all of the teachers were armed.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I agree with it and like it! However, if this passes, will Nebraska run into trouble with the federal government? Isn't it against federal law to carry on public school property as a result of the Columbine shootings in the late nineties?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another +1 here. At least a step in the right direction. Nebraska schools would no longer be a soft target. Now, if ALL licensed individuals could retain their right to self defense, then we would really be getting somewhere.

Assuming this passes, I do hope the teachers that choose to carry will do so with the utmost care.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I fully expect the antis to try to pass a law requiring the teachers to lock the gun in a desk with the magazine locked in a separate area or something redundant.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    another internet myth.

Really??? So, is it just Indiana that prohibits citizens from exercising the 2nd Amendment on public school property? :dunno:

I think I need to do more research on this issue then. All this time I thought federal laws were first put in place and then the individual states began passing laws of their own regarding the carrying of firearms on public school property.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Why is that?

These are facilities for education not incarceration. Im all for the students and staff members safety but there are other avenues to insure such safety ie. metal detectors, x-ray machines (for book bags and coats) even NON-LEATHAL WEAPONS for the teachers ie. PepperMace, stun devices, even a SL-6 gas gun.

Surely the schools who entertain this idea will surely train the teachers who are to carry if only for the legal purposes, since the schools have the funding to train these teachers "properly" then it has the money to hire a guard or law enforcement officer who is properly trained. I

Can you all honestly say you put you 100% absolute faith in the hands of teachers and that they will be responsible and diligent while carrying firearms to protect your children? I cannot! Look at the news so many stories of teachers who have already harmed our children (sexually, psychologically, ect.), the trust for me is just not there.

Excellent!!!

You dropped me a negative rep and just posted one single word following my post? The favor will be returned buddy!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom