• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    These are facilities for education not incarceration. Im all for the students and staff members safety but there are other avenues to insure such safety ie. metal detectors, x-ray machines (for book bags and coats) even NON-LEATHAL WEAPONS for the teachers ie. PepperMace, stun devices, even a SL-6 gas gun.

Surely the schools who entertain this idea will train the teachers who are to carry if only for the legality of it. If the schools have the funding to train these teachers "properly" then it has the money to hire a guard or law enforcement officer who is properly trained.

Can you all honestly say you put you 100% absolute faith in the hands of teachers and that they will be responsible and diligent while carrying firearms to protect your children? I cannot! Look at the news so many stories of teachers who have already harmed our children (sexually, psychologically, ect.), the trust for me is just not there.

You dropped me a negative rep and just posted one single word following my post? The favor will be returned buddy!

Many schools already have an LEO or armed guard working security. That guard can only be one place at a time. But Im sure if the teacher asks the school shooter very nicely he will give the guard time to get to the classroom before the kid starts shooting people.

Why are you on a gun owners board if you are anti 2a? I trust teachers to carry as much as I trust any other citizen. If a kid wants to shoot up a school, do you think hes gonna let a metal detector stop him? Somebody that determined, who basically knows he is going to die today, will walk right through that metal detector and start blasting. But Im sure the beeping from the metal detector will make him stop.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    These are facilities for education not incarceration. Im all for the students and staff members safety but there are other avenues to insure such safety ie. metal detectors, x-ray machines (for book bags and coats) even NON-LEATHAL WEAPONS for the teachers ie. PepperMace, stun devices, even a SL-6 gas gun.

Are you from Illinois? Do you really buy into the idea that disarming everyone makes people safer?

Gun free zones are a joke. If a guy wants to shoot up a gun free zone, he'll come through that X-Ray scanner with his guns blazing, and every person inside will be a disarmed victim laying in the fetal position waiting to be killed.

Not to mention that schools aren't for "incarceration." Keep these ridiculous body scanners away from children. You've seen how we've discussed the body scanners they have at airports right?

Can you all honestly say you put you 100% absolute faith in the hands of teachers and that they will be responsible and diligent while carrying firearms to protect your children? I cannot! Look at the news so many stories of teachers who have already harmed our children (sexually, psychologically, ect.), the trust for me is just not there.
    They're just a few bad apples! Don't let them spoil the bunch! :):

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Gun free zones are a joke. If a guy wants to shoot up a gun free zone, he'll come through that X-Ray scanner with his guns blazing, and every person inside will be a disarmed victim laying in the fetal position waiting to be killed.

I guess some people will just never understand that gun laws only keep the honest people disarmed. Do people honestly believe that somebody will say "Oh damn, I cant rob that bank, they dont allow guns in there:("

facepalm.gif

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I am in favor of getting rid of "gun free zones". Rules prohibiting carry only stop law abiding citizens. Criminals (who by definition don't follow laws) are not deterred by gun free zones.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Let me clarify this, I'm for arming professors, staff, even students but only at a University level. I do honestly believe it would be a horrible idea at a high school or elementary level.

Also I don't want children subjected to full body scanners, but scanners for book bags and coats would not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oak,

It was not that many years ago that you could find a Firearm in every Vehicle in most Schools across Indiana. I cannot for the life of me remember when that was ever a problem...

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Schools are nothing more than governmentally-enforced slaughter pens. Whatever states can do to abolish no carry zones will reduce mass murder.

It's not like the lessons from Ma'alot cannot be learned here.

Ma'alot massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or Beslan school hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As already said, with trainning, and I would strongly encourage CC - Note encourage not require. My reasoning being that since many wouldn't want to carry, it increases the "unknown" factor of who's carrying and who isn't.
    :twocents:

SgtBaker_21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I'll start off by saying that I, too, am all for more people carrying guns & protecting themselves & others. I think this opens up a lot of potential for bad things to happen, though. How's it gonna go down when the first teacher accidentally shoots the wrong kid/person? Or shoots someone they THOUGHT had a gun? I also think that if another school shooting took place where students were shot, you put the teacher in a bad spot in regards to liability. If they are carrying & don't save someone's child, are there gonna be some p'd off parents? Obviously, that's where the training comes in, but I think it would be bad news if something went wrong during the situation. Bottom line, I'm all for it if done well. Just my :twocents:. Thanks for listening. :)

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Oak,

So you would prefer that the teachers put their trust in someone else to "keep them safe" instead of supporting legislation that would allow them to be responsible for themselves as it should be???

And yes, I did drop a neg rep, anyone who would NOT support ideals that BROADEN freedoms rather then infringe upon them deserves one, IMHO.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    How's it gonna go down when the first teacher accidentally shoots the wrong kid/person? Or shoots someone they THOUGHT had a gun?

The great thing about private citizens is that they aren't cops, and actually have to pay for their mistakes. It would be incredibly unlikely that a teacher would shoot a kid bases on "thinking" they had a gun. I would safely bet that any teacher would be extremely hesitant to shoot anyone, and they would be sure of who they were shooting before they'd do it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Do it!

Want to make kids safe allow teachers to carry at school. If you want to make them do the same pistol qualification as the local police department fine, that would be consistent and fair. Don't allow school districts to tell the teacher no if they qualify. This is the most cost effective way of protecting students. I don't need or want a cop standing at the door of my classroom protecting us. Let me have my pistol at school and I can take care of the problem, just like I don't need a cop to help me break up a fight.

Students are more likely to get shot at school than they are to get hurt in a fire or tornado, but we don't do anything practical or serious to protect them from getting shot. Cops are expensive and many cannot shoot anyway. Plenty of students have been shot while the police are on the way, or were forming a perimeter around the building. This has happened since Columbine and tactics were officially changed they claim.

I am happy for my kids teachers to be armed. Because by the time the cops and I get there it will be too late.

It would be nice if the school would buy the ammo for qualifications. I will be happy to use my gun, and that is how it should be.

The way things are in Indiana I am supposed to protect my class in the event of a natural disaster and an active shooter scenario, but do the second without a gun. :xmad:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How's it gonna go down when the first teacher accidentally shoots the wrong kid/person? Or shoots someone they THOUGHT had a gun?
    Not a whole lot different that when any other LTCH holder kills someone on accident. Badly. But the fact is that LTCH holders are among the most law-abiding segment of society.

I also think that if another school shooting took place where students were shot, you put the teacher in a bad spot in regards to liability. If they are carrying & don't save someone's child, are there gonna be some p'd off parents?
    Liability doesn't work that way. The guilty party is the shooter, and only the shooter.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Only LEOs should be allowed to carry guns. What happens when someone shoots the wrong person? What happens when someone takes the gun away from you and uses it to shoot everyone? What happens when you accidentally shoot someone? What happens if you set the gun down and a child finds it? What happens when the gun gets pissed off, jumps out of the holste and starts shooting?

What if what if what if what if...

How is someone carrying at the grocery store, mall, stroll around the neighborhood, or anywhere else any different than at a school?

Might I suggest to those who say teachers shouldn't be allowed to carry at school because they don't trust them STOP CARRYING THEMSELVES. After all, I don't trust you.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If they are carrying & don't save someone's child, are there gonna be some p'd off parents?

Who cares if the parents are pissed? It is not a liability for the teachers. SCOTUS has already made it very clear that POLICE have no duty to protect you... why do you think a teacher would be held to different standards?

What did the LEOs do at VT? Wait outside until the shooting stopped. Of course they did, they have families they want to return home to.

Which raises another point to those who say "hire a security guard". Why do you expect a security guard to go running towards the sound of gunfire? Why not let those who are already there, already in danger, already being shot at SHOOT BACK! Why put more people in danger?

SgtBaker_21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Ok, so after a few responses, I realize that I didn't relay my thoughts the way that i meant. I'm just thinking that there might be a bigger media backlash in the event of a bad situation. Similar to the Arizona shooting where the media & politicians wanted to jump all over the hi-cap mags. As I stated before, I'm all for teachers & faculty arming themselves. Many good things could come of it.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Ok, so after a few responses, I realize that I didn't relay my thoughts the way that i meant. I'm just thinking that there might be a bigger media backlash in the event of a bad situation. Similar to the Arizona shooting where the media & politicians wanted to jump all over the hi-cap mags. As I stated before, I'm all for teachers & faculty arming themselves. Many good things could come of it.

Now that is absolutely true. Were something to happen there would likely be a big media uproar. However, I don't think that we should limit rights or not try to restore them based upon what ifs. Such is the cost of freedom. Plus, the progressive hype about all the terrible things that will happen whenever gun rights are expanded have always turned out false. I think this would be the same way.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    k-12 teachers are a large group. All this will do is allow those teachers already licensed to carry handguns to carry in schools. Nobody is issuing teachers weapons without training. I don't understand why there would be any concern here.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

True... I'm surprised they didn't start complaining about Constitutional carry in AZ. Obviously we know it would be stupid because no carry law is going to stop a mass shooting. However the crazy anti-gunners don't think that way.

My guess is they didn't attack it because that isn't something they can regulate on a federal level. Hi cap mags can be banned.

However despite you being correct, the media will ALWAYS create backlash over shootings. All they care about is pushing their agenda. As we have seen, they will do whatever it takes to push their agenda and they will do it before the victims even make it to the hospital (as was the case in AZ).

Top Bottom