• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overall, were you satisfied with the TCP?

• Total voters

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Another poll....

From those of you who have owned a TCP, do you like it overall? I understand the quality is very questionable. Let me narrow this down to anyone owning a tcp within the last 5 years.

Are you happy with it? Even if you had to have warranty work done on it, overall, did/does it meet your satisfaction as a self defense weapon? Would you trust your life with it?

Please, only if you have actually owned one.

I realize there are possibly better options...possibly...I'm thinking about a small .380 and might end up holding off til the pico comes out but who knows when that will happen.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Got mine when they first came out. Had some ejection problems, sent it in, been perfect ever since.

It is more comfortable to shoot than the LCP, which was its only competition at the the time I bought, plus it came with two mags.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I liked the look, feel, handling, and price. Did not like the fact that it was unreliable despite two trips back to Taurus. LCP all the way, baby.

Also have a friend who bought one despite my warning. His became inoperable on the second round he fired. I don't know if he has shot it since it came back from Taurus.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Mine is at 185 rounds of FMJ and HP ammo, with no issues.
    I like the light weight, it kicks lick a mule, I carry it with confidence.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I bought mine used off here. Works great, better trigger IMO than other pocket carry guns minus the 238/938. Accurate. Light. I have the Crimson Trace laser on it and activating it is so so easy.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I am satisfied, but barely. It's been back to Taurus once, and is still a little odd. I wouldn't buy it again, but I trust it enough not to replace it.

TacticAll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've had a TCP for a couple of years and liked it enough to buy another one for my son. The slide was a little stiff in the beginning but loosened up nice after 100 rounds or so. Also needed to adjust the top of the mags to correct a small FTF issue. My son has had zero problems with his.

For $200 bucks I highly recommend it for the following:
    1. It's $200 bucks
    2. It's accurate
    3. It's small enough that I carry it everyday and everywhere!

i also like the last shot hold open feature.

Now go just go get it, you will like it and you'll carry it!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I love mine. No issues. Shoots everything including reloads. You can do a search and see my comments/write up. I'm well over 1k round count and I painted the slide for kicks and would like to have it ceracoated.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Had one. Sent it back to Taurus for failure to eject issues, which caused it to double-stack cases in the chamber jamming the pistol.
    I couldn't get more than 3 shots in a row without problems.
    I thought it was an ejection issue, and therefore should have been an easy fix.

I was informed by Taurus that they decided to DESTROY my gun and replace it.
    I sold the replacement without firing it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mine had to have some work done on it. It was a series B model. Series C and D resolved the issues and give better performance. After some touch-up work, my TCP has fired first time, every time. About 500 rounds through it. It is not my favorite range gun, but it does what it is supposed to do.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They work, but I can't stand the trigger breaking all the way in the rear after what feels like 9723483957397561472 miles of travel. Look into the Diamondback 380 for something with a better trigger and sights worth looking at. Just my .02

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had a TCP for a couple of years and liked it enough to buy another one for my son. The slide was a little stiff in the beginning but loosened up nice after 100 rounds or so. Also needed to adjust the top of the mags to correct a small FTF issue. My son has had zero problems with his.

For $200 bucks I highly recommend it for the following:
    1. It's $200 bucks
    2. It's accurate
    3. It's small enough that I carry it everyday and everywhere!

i also like the last shot hold open feature.

Now go just go get it, you will like it and you'll carry it!

I forgot about last round hold open.

That is a huge feature the tcp has over the lcp.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Bersa Thunder

Not even in the ballpark size wise. And yes, I have the Thunder CC model, and yes it is great, but that doesn't change the fact that it is in a whole 'nother size category.

My TCP is hands down 100% less miserable to shoot than the LCP. Since mine has worked every time (C model) I'm very happy with it.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've owned owned one for two years. It took awhile to break in. Polished the feed ramp but also found that it likes the flat nose type target ammo better. Shoots PD rounds just fine. You have to train your trigger finger or it will pull down and to the side (at least for me). Yes, I still like it and carry it. Very versatile for carry. pocket. inside. outside. vest. R King has the new ones with extended mag. I have the regular mags with pinky extensions.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I've had one for 3 years now. Never an issue. It is my primary CC. Remora pocket holster makes this very concealable for summer dress. It is not fun to shoot after a dozen rounds but it is designed for self defense not as a range toy.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've carried one for about two years now. It has always fired and since I've gotten it broken in and smoothed up a little, it always feeds. I know 4 other people who own 5 of these between them and of all of them only one has had a problem, and that came down to some flashing on the magazine follower that I cleaned up with a pocket knife.

All of these are "D"s.

Over the years, one of the things I've learned about Taurus is, "don't buy when they first come out with a new gun" they seem to "rush things to market". It seems that they usually get them straightened out, but it takes a year or two.

Top Bottom