• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    Went over to ole' Plainfield Shooting Supplies yesterday with the lady to find her a gun for concealed carry. This one would be her first. I had been thinking she would want a 38 special or potentially a small barretta. But low and behold she picked up the Taurus PT22 and fell in love. She doesn't have very strong hands and doesn't feel comfortable with the recoil of .380 sub compacts and she doesn't have a whole lot of hand streangth for the trigger pull of the revolvers. Not a bad looking little gun, but I would have liked to see her get something a little larger, with that said, she has to be comfortable.

Has anyone had expirience with these PT22s? We we have not had a chance to shoot it.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    My fiance and I went through a whole list of handguns for her carry.Looked at the Taurus PT-22,they are Double Action Only,if they (Taurus) made it like the Beretta 22's DA/SA it would have been a winner

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Wife loves hers much more than the TCP. I even carry it sometimes.
    Buy 2-3 extra mags and teach her how to fire 6-7 fast rounds, reload and do it again. The action is smoothe and with no recoil, you can pump six rds. into the same spot really fast and fire 6 more into the same hole before the perp even falls down.
    A 22 has no knockdown power, but it will kill when hitting COM. The shooter MUST know to keep pulling the trigger until the threat is over. Fire one shot only, and the perp may only be irritated and continue his attack.

Volume of hits is important when lnockdown power is sacrificed.

That said, the gun is accurate and smoothe. Very fun to shoot. Get plenty of ammo and let it rip.

kc9bpo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    my wife carries a PT22 in her purse everywhere. She loves it. She has bad hands and the recoil on it is next to nothing. The slide is hard to pull back, so keeping one in the barrel is recommended. Only other draw back is the crazy long trigger pull. I have some crazy monkey fingers 'wife's words, not mine' and I was amazed at how comfy that gun is.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My wife had one. She never could get the trigger pull down right. Was too hard for her to squeeze. And she couldn't rack the slide, tiny as it was, so it didn't last long.

That said, it worked well, as long as kept clean and fed the right ammo. Hers like Thunderbolt....high velocity, but not HYPER velocity. It was picky.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Why would anybody want to be wracking the slide on a carry gun? The PT was never meant to be used that way. When carrying, there is supposed to be one in the chamber.
    At the range, pop the barrel up to load the chamber.
    Earlier when I mentioned emptying it and reloading, I neglected to mention I keep a few loose ones in my pocket for faster SD reloads instead of wracking the slide.

To be honest, I rely on my first two-three rounds more than I rely on reloading. If they aren't where they need to be, all the rest of SD could be a moot point.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    I once owned a PT22 Jam O matic. Sent it back to Taurus, came back months later and still jammed. Hope you have one that works. Better choices are out there. Good luck.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    My wife hates her PT-22, trigger pull is too long, I can't rack the slide and neither can she so you must carry with one in the chamber, but being DA you really don't have much worry about an accident. She just can't stay on target squeezing all that trigger.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I picked up my PT22 used from Bradis last year for next to nothing. The thing looked brand new with nice rosewood grips. I own a Beretta Jetfire and Tomcat which I like more because they have external hammers and can fire single action but the Taurus is a nice gun. I've never had a jam in mine and its pretty accurate for a little pocket gun. I carry it easily in a Blackhawk IWB holster. .22 isn't the most powerfull round but it's better than nothing. I always carry a round in the chamber and never "rack the slide". These guns are tip up barrel design for a reason. They're perfect for people with weak hands.:yesway:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I had to buy my bride a PT22 because she thought it was kewt. It remains unfired. I bought me a PT22Ply. It is a fun little gun to play with and pretty accurate. I can't rack the slide on either one but then I don't see any reason to.

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    I have an old school (non polymer) pt-22 that I like. Couple of things to note:

Taurus recommends against hyper velocity rounds. I've had good luck with the federal bulk pack Wallie World sells. CCI min image work well too for me.

If you have the plastic grips - don't be surprised if they crack. Mine broke after approximately 400 rounds. I replaced them with some aftermarket rubber ones that I like better.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Had one in the 90's. The firing pin broke after 200-250 rounds.

When firing a shot, the lever for the tip up barrel would sometimes be activated when the gun was in recoil. The barrel would tip up and the slide would come off.

Wife could not pull the trigger more than once or twice, before her hand got tired.

Top Bottom